Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Does my score warrant a retake? [#permalink]
Hello bachmanity91

If you are 100% confident of taking it up by 10-20 points then why not.
A 750 is in no way a deal breaker. If I were you I would focus on building a stronger application, as the reason for selection/rejection is definitely not going to be GMAT in your particular case.
You have limited time, so might as well get cracking on the applications.
Can't comment on the strength of profile (and hence the choice of M7) without understanding profile on a qualitative level.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bachmanity91 wrote:
Hi everybody!

I've found this platform really useful so far, so first off thank you!

I had prepared for the GMAT for a little over 1 and a half months. Didn't focus a lot on studying from too many resources. For Math, I mostly stuck to the OG and for Verbal, Manhattan proved very useful. I was confident of a good score, as I'd got 770s on my last two justified attempts on the Official GMAT Prep tests. I didn't take any other tests.

Took the GMAT today, and landed a 750 (Q49, V42). I know it's a good score but I'm disappointed.

Some additional context:
I was aiming for a higher score considering that I'm an Indian male and well, I belong to a very overrepresented applicant pool, and most people in this pool have high GMAT scores (I do have a fairly different professional background as compared to most other Indian males. I've been running a design agency of my own for the last few years. Operationally we aren't too big, but we've been fortunate enough to do some interesting design work for marquee clients here in India and abroad :) So my story will be fairly different from those of most other applicants)

I couldn't sleep well last night. I made the grave error of not adjusting my sleep schedule to what would be ideal for taking the GMAT early in the morning. This did indeed affect my performance today, as I struggled with a few math questions I wouldn't have struggled with at all. In fact, I made 2-3 random guesses because I was running out of time.

The questions I was hoping to get answers to are:
1) Does this score, given the applicant pool I belong to, warrant a retake? (I am targeting a few M7 schools)
2) Does this score hamper my chances of securing scholarships? (I've heard that an exceptional GMAT score does improve one's chances of securing a scholarship significantly)

PS: I am mostly disappointed with my Quant score. I scored a 51 on the last practice I took :/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does my score warrant a retake? [#permalink]
Thank you for your responses pushpitkc, adkikani, and MBAkarma

My profile is -

1) Studied at a top 7 IIT (Average GPA 7+ on 10)
2) Worked at an MNC for 1 1/2 years
3) Started my own boutique design agency (UX/UI Design, Graphic Design and more) because I felt that was my calling :) This is where things get a little interesting. We've been fortunate enough to have worked with clients from a wide range of domains. Some of our clients include Facebook, Microsoft, Flipkart, and Airtel. Have worked on designing web and mobile based products across a very wide variety of domains - e-commerce, fitness, travel, finance, robotics and more. The products we've worked on have had a direct impact on more than 100 million users so far :)
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi @bachmanity9,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Congratulations on a 750 GMAT score! That's wonderful! Below are my answers to your questions:

1) Does this score, given the applicant pool I belong to, warrant a retake? (I am targeting a few M7 schools) A retake will not increase your chances of admission. As you pointed out, you have a different background. I would spend the rest of the time (between now and application deadline) working on your story (i.e. SOP, LOR, resume, etc.) Demonstrating your diversity will be a far better use of your time.
2) Does this score hamper my chances of securing scholarships? (I've heard that an exceptional GMAT score does improve one's chances of securing a scholarship significantly) This is a good score. If the remainder of your application and your academics (which are not included here) are strong, it will not hamper your chances of securing scholarships. There are ways to work on that as well.

If you would like to continue the conversation, please feel free to reach out and schedule a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Congratulations again and good luck!

bachmanity91 wrote:
Hi everybody!

I had prepared for the GMAT for a little over 1 and a half months. Didn't focus a lot on studying from too many resources. For Math, I mostly stuck to the OG and for Verbal, Manhattan proved very useful. I was confident of a good score, as I'd got 770s on my last two justified attempts on the Official GMAT Prep tests. I didn't take any other tests.

Took the GMAT today, and landed a 750 (Q49, V42). I know it's a good score but I'm disappointed.

Some additional context:
I was aiming for a higher score considering that I'm an Indian male and well, I belong to a very overrepresented applicant pool, and most people in this pool have high GMAT scores (I do have a fairly different professional background as compared to most other Indian males. I've been running a design agency of my own for the last few years. Operationally we aren't too big, but we've been fortunate enough to do some interesting design work for marquee clients here in India and abroad :) So my story will be fairly different from those of most other applicants)

I couldn't sleep well last night. I made the grave error of not adjusting my sleep schedule to what would be ideal for taking the GMAT early in the morning. This did indeed affect my performance today, as I struggled with a few math questions I wouldn't have struggled with at all. In fact, I made 2-3 random guesses because I was running out of time.

1) Does this score, given the applicant pool I belong to, warrant a retake? (I am targeting a few M7 schools)
2) Does this score hamper my chances of securing scholarships? (I've heard that an exceptional GMAT score does improve one's chances of securing a scholarship significantly)

PS: I am mostly disappointed with my Quant score. I scored a 51 on the last practice I took :/
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello bachmanity91

Though your entrepreneurial stint looks extremely interesting and the IIT brand can be of help.
But my friend, you are targeting the likes of M7.
You need to go much, much deeper for a meaningful evaluation. (You can read here on what it takes to get into the likes of M7)
Your progress in career, key achievements, extracurricular activities, career goals (and their fit with the school) all matter more than the GMAT.
You will need to have a spike in all of these (along with the GMAT) to stand a chance at these schools. Scholarship will also depend on the same (not just GMAT or any other single factor but your holistic profile)
The quality of your input/questions will decide the quality of answers you get. Don't get me wrong, you may have the goods for M7 (or you may not have them) but I don't know from this limited info.
Needless to say, how you present your story in the essays is key.
Should you have further questions, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

bachmanity91 wrote:
Thank you for your responses pushpitkc, adkikani, and MBAkarma

My profile is -

1) Studied at a top 7 IIT (Average GPA 7+ on 10)
2) Worked at an MNC for 1 1/2 years
3) Started my own boutique design agency (UX/UI Design, Graphic Design and more) because I felt that was my calling :) This is where things get a little interesting. We've been fortunate enough to have worked with clients from a wide range of domains. Some of our clients include Facebook, Microsoft, Flipkart, and Airtel. Have worked on designing web and mobile based products across a very wide variety of domains - e-commerce, fitness, travel, finance, robotics and more. The products we've worked on have had a direct impact on more than 100 million users so far :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much MBAkarma!

I do understand that there are several factors at play here. I will reach out to you should I have any questions. I am pretty to new to all of this, so I will take some time to get my bearings and figure out how to navigate the entire process.

Thank you once again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for you thoughtful response SiaAdmissions! Much appreciated! I will reach out to you for help and guidance, should I need it.
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
No problem. Glad I could help!

Good luck!

bachmanity91 wrote:
Thank you for you thoughtful response SiaAdmissions! Much appreciated! I will reach out to you for help and guidance, should I need it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Does my score warrant a retake? [#permalink]
Hello bachmanity91

I have worked with several Indian male applicants and helped them gain admission to top B-schools.

While successful Indian applicants tend to have high GMAT scores, a 750+ score doesn't make a dramatic change to the admission chances. I have seen several applicants with 760, 770 and higher scores - from India - getting rejected even with without an interview.

So it would be important to remember that ALL the aspects of your application presents you as a strong applicant. Which means that your career goals need to be clear and impressive, your essays must highlight the strengths b-schools are looking for, and your resume and LORs should present you as a top-performing teammate and a leader.

I'd suggest that you devote this time to build high-quality applications and not fret too much about improving your GMAT. 750 is already a great score!

If you'd like me to go through your profile and give you candid feedback, feel free to email me directly at mail@vibranture.com, or connect with me on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/shea-rai-vibranture/

To help you, I'm posting link of an article I wrote sometime back:
How B-schools will evaluate your profile
https://vibranture.com/articles/how-scho ... rofile.htm

Good luck!

bachmanity91 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Some additional context:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
bachmanity91 wrote:
Hi everybody!

Some additional context:

If you are 100% confident you can get 20 points or more on the next test, then retake it.
If not, move on with your application and rock out with the essays and other parts of your applications.

GettingInMBA
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bacmanity91,

750 is an amazing GMAT score! However, if you believe that you can score 770 on another attempt, it certainly doesn’t hurt to give the GMAT one more shot.

If you want some further advice regarding your applicant profile, you may consider reaching out to the consultants here on GMAT Club.

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hello everybody,
Firstly pardon me for requesting a profile evaluation without a gmat score.
I am an Indian, female aged 30 years. I was seeking suggestion whether my candidature would be accepted as I already have an MBA degree in HR.
Aim: to pursue 1 year MBA program
Target colleges: Insead, NUS,NTU,Johnson,Kellogg's, HKUST,LBS, oxford, ISB
Here is my career snapshot-
class X- 90.25 class XII- 87.5 Bachelor's - 8.23/10( Ist class honor's)(08-12) MBA (HR)- 75.5(15-17)
Professional exp- pre MBA administrator with an educational institution(2years)
Probationary officer with a nationalized bank(1year) selected through national level entrance exam), post MBA- mgmt trainee with a nationalized bank( 1 month), senior officer HR with a manufacturing MNC(7 months)Business development associate with an educational institution for an upcoming project ( currently)
Certifications & Publications:Rio+23 & Rio+22 UN WHS India Certification Program, Lean Six Sigma Green belt( KPMG), NULP( Practitioner), People analytic Certification from WSB, Managing Employee Performance ( University of Minnesota),coauthored a chapter on nanotechnology and co published 2 articles during my bachelor's degree tenure
Extracurricular activities: national semi- finalist at advocatus diaboli( XLRI ensemble, 15), finalist at case study competition,Manthan,XLRI ensemble' 15,dissertation on brexit and Indian corporate,CYTL'16.
I was elected as the departmental placement coordinator during my graduation. Also was an active member of the sponsorship and alumni networking team which was instrumental in arranging the cultural fest of the university ( one of the biggest in eastern India with a budget of around 15 lac). I had volunteered for an Indian NGO working for children and women education and was instrumental in executing a project on launching ' telecenter on wheels'.
I am planning to apply for an 1 year MBA in fall 2020. So it will be of great help for me to take the call if the following queries are answered:
1) whether my application would be considered as I already have an MBA degree in HR? Is this an accepted practice in the colleges which I intend to apply to?
2) what chances of selection do I stand based on my profile provided I score a competitive score in GMAT?
Thanks in advance for your time!!

Sent from my TSP using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello patherpachali

You profile is made up of admission factors mentioned here
While many people pursue a second MBA at the likes of INSEAD, Oxford, ISB, the show a compelling reason as to why they need a second MBA. If you can tie in that need with your future goals, you should not be at a disadvantage. You could add to your research by reading here.
Your past scores are good, aim for a 720+ in the GMAT to further strengthen your profile.
Extracurricular activities also show potential, provided you show your impact on these activities.
One thing important thing that is not coming out clearly is your work experience- what are your key achievements and career progression. Ultimately it is your story which will set your apart from others.
To conclude you have a decent profile but will need to tie in your past experience, future goals with a need of an MBA in your essays. Will not comment on choice of schools as that will be pure speculation without understanding the depth of your work ex, career goals and expected GMAT score.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

patherpachali wrote:
Hello everybody,
Firstly pardon me for requesting a profile evaluation without a gmat score.
I am an Indian, female aged 30 years. I was seeking suggestion whether my candidature would be accepted as I already have an MBA degree in HR.
Aim: to pursue 1 year MBA program
Target colleges: Insead, NUS,NTU,Johnson,Kellogg's, HKUST,LBS, oxford, ISB
Here is my career snapshot-
class X- 90.25 class XII- 87.5 Bachelor's - 8.23/10( Ist class honor's)(08-12) MBA (HR)- 75.5(15-17)
Professional exp- pre MBA administrator with an educational institution(2years)
Probationary officer with a nationalized bank(1year) selected through national level entrance exam), post MBA- mgmt trainee with a nationalized bank( 1 month), senior officer HR with a manufacturing MNC(7 months)Business development associate with an educational institution for an upcoming project ( currently)
Certifications & Publications:Rio+23 & Rio+22 UN WHS India Certification Program, Lean Six Sigma Green belt( KPMG), NULP( Practitioner), People analytic Certification from WSB, Managing Employee Performance ( University of Minnesota),coauthored a chapter on nanotechnology and co published 2 articles during my bachelor's degree tenure
Extracurricular activities: national semi- finalist at advocatus diaboli( XLRI ensemble, 15), finalist at case study competition,Manthan,XLRI ensemble' 15,dissertation on brexit and Indian corporate,CYTL'16.
I was elected as the departmental placement coordinator during my graduation. Also was an active member of the sponsorship and alumni networking team which was instrumental in arranging the cultural fest of the university ( one of the biggest in eastern India with a budget of around 15 lac). I had volunteered for an Indian NGO working for children and women education and was instrumental in executing a project on launching ' telecenter on wheels'.
I am planning to apply for an 1 year MBA in fall 2020. So it will be of great help for me to take the call if the following queries are answered:
1) whether my application would be considered as I already have an MBA degree in HR? Is this an accepted practice in the colleges which I intend to apply to?
2) what chances of selection do I stand based on my profile provided I score a competitive score in GMAT?
Thanks in advance for your time!!

Sent from my TSP using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot