Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RachitMDS wrote:
Hey there everyone!
My name is Rachit. I am very excited to have found this evaluation thread.
I will be extremely glad if somebody can review my profile.

My profile is as follows:

Sex : Male
Nationality : Indian
Education : Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical (Aggregate - 69%)
GMAT : Scheduled on Aug 11th
Expecting 650-680 (Mock averages range between 710-740)

Work Ex: 5 years

2017 to present : Larsen & Toubro, Defence
Designation : Assistant Manager
Domain : Heavy Engineering & Manufacturing
Customer : Ministry of Defence, India
Tech Partner : Hanwha Tech, S.Korea

2013 to 2017 : TAL Manufacturing Solutions, Ltd.,
Designation :Engineer
Domain : Composite Manufacturing & Aerospace
Customer : Boeing(US), Rolls-Royce (UK & Singapore) , Pratt & Whitney (US), Ruag (Germany)
- Was awarded as the employee of the month twice for before time execution of first article inspections for Boeing.
- Was selected for training on Supplier Self Release, AS: 13001 at Singapore
- Introduced paperless inspection-documentation system thereby reducing monthly stationary costs by 5000 INR approx

Extra-Curricular :
- Organized various cultural events during college
- Represented college at various national level events like Robocon
- Currently learning Bachata
- Working on a novel on my high-school life
- Donate blood at yearly intervals

Post-MBA goals :
Short Term Goal : To move into strategic consulting while leveraging my technical and inter-personal skills to help organizations perform better and make better decisions.

Long Term Goal : To establish my own firm which will cater to the technical and non-technical needs of ever-increasing startups in India

Hi Rachit,

I had responded to your query on the INSEAD thread. I will respond here, specific to ISB:

1. A 720+ GMAT will add more reverence to your profile.
2. Your work experience is good- focus on achievements and impacts in the application- I assume you've only mentioned a snippet here
3. Highlight the international and government interaction at work.
4. ECAs are a little lacking. Its not going to impact your ISB application too much.
5. Career goals- I see you have changed your goals from brand management. However, I didn't quite understand what kind of startups do you wish to help? You need to be an entrepreneur/ venture capitalist yourself to mentor other startups, unless of course you are talking about startups that are in your domain- then you could probably offer them technical consulting.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello RachitMDS

First things first, if you are getting mock scores of 710-740, why are you expecting a much lower score of 650-680? That doesn't sound right.
Coming to your profile, you seem to have a well rounded profile (you can read here what matters in ISB admissions).
The work ex looks good, it will help further if you can throw more light on career progress and achievements. ISB is more interested in business impact that years, industry or responsibilities. It will help you stand out from other applicants.
Focus on recent extracurricular activities as the ones in college do not carry a lot of weight (unless you have done something stellar). Bachata looks good, again showcase the impact on your life and how these ECA make you a better person/professional/candidate.
Lastly coming to career goals- how is management consulting in line with your past experiences and what transferable skills have you gained in the past few years to make this a successful transition. If you read the previous posts in this thread, most of the prospective students wish to move into strategic consulting and sees the most competition. Your move must fit with your profile and must seem realistic. If it comes off as a low researched goal (just because consulting sounds cool) then you may come out as an employment risk. So while, based on the limited info I cannot currently comment if it sounds realistic. You can read more here on career goals.
Be vary of the timelines- if you wish to apply in R1, that is. You will have exactly 4 weeks to submit the application after your GMAT, which is slightly on the lower side. Usually it takes 4-8 weeks for an application from scratch. It can get trickier if you plan to apply to multiple schools (which you should if you are serious about an MBA this year).
To conclude, you will need a spike on Academics (GMAT), Work Ex (Quality and Content, not role/responsibilities), Diversity (Unique factors and Extracurricular) and Career Goals (realistic and fit with your profile). Tie these 4 well in your essays to have a fighting chance.
Should you have further questions, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

RachitMDS wrote:
Hey there everyone!

Key responsibilities :
1. Quality Planning & Monitoring
2. People Management and Manpower handling
3. Coordinate among different functions for production execution
4. Handling customer and technology partner visits
5. Handling Audits
6. Active member of Editorial team of Quarterly In-House Magazine

-Developed sketch-based inspection formats thereby reducing average inspection time and by 20%
-Implemented reuse of geometrical coordinates for speedy marking of large body structures
thereby saving 8 man-hour/man/shift

Customer : Boeing(US), Rolls-Royce (UK & Singapore) , Pratt & Whitney (US), Ruag (Germany)

Key responsibilities :
1. Customer query resolution -have handled clients from S.Korea, UK, Singapore, Japan, US and Germany on a regular basis
2. Planning and execution of various first article activities
3. Contract review
4. Training people
5. Change Management
6. Root Cause and Corrective Action
7. Conducting internal audits
9. PFMEA expert
10 . Active member in various committees : Safety committee, SAP Trainers' team and Composite Repair group

- Was awarded as the employee of the month twice for before time execution of first article inspections for Boeing.
- Introduced paperless inspection-documentation system thereby reducing monthly stationary costs by 5000 INR approx

Extra-Curricular :

Post-MBA goals :
Short Term Goal : To move into strategic consulting while leveraging my technical and inter-personal skills to help organizations perform better and make better decisions.

Long Term Goal : To establish my own firm which will cater to the technical and non-technical needs of ever-increasing startups in India
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
#PROFILE
#EVALUATION
10th - 90
12th - 76
Grad (B- tech) - 82
Work Ex -3 yrs
Deloitte USI 1.5 yrs
Al shirawi group (Oasis investment- Dubai): currently working as an erp and projects coordinator

1)School - Chess champion, public speaker, head of the dramatics society
2) Placement Coordinator in KIIT University- BBSR
3)Worked with an NGO RON (Rhythm of nation) at college and Organized events.
5) Languages: English, hi Di, punjabi
6) An active member of KIIT Dramatics society.
7) Completed 3 internships in Uae : period: 5 months.
Topics: Advanced embedded systems
Softwares: PI and Scada
Fire alarm systems
8. Theatre actor, theatre singer..hobbies: theatre and chess
9) Won a spot award for an active participation in Deloitte SAP PARTY and won appreciation for the same.
10) thread lead of ummeed and goonj (Firm initiatives at deloitte)
11) organiser of various quiz up competitions held at Deloitte.
10) I have my own blog too - Blogging as a hobby

Sent from my SM-N9005 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bob2018 wrote:
#PROFILE
#EVALUATION
10th - 90
12th - 76
Grad (B- tech) - 82
Work Ex -3 yrs
Deloitte USI 1.5 yrs
Al shirawi group (Oasis investment- Dubai): currently working as an erp and projects coordinator

Fire alarm systems
9) Won a spot award for an active participation in Deloitte SAP PARTY and won appreciation for the same.

Hey Bob,

what's your work experience like? B-schools care to know about that the most- its a business education degree you re applying for afterall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Invoke wrote:
Hello mentors,

Kindly evaluate my profile for ISB and provide necessary advice for further steps.

Academics:
Bachelor of Engg (Electronics & Comm) - 7.9 (WBUT)
12th Standard: 83%
10th Standard: 89%

GMAT - no score yet (expecting 700+ in 3 months)

Work Experience:
3.1 years of experience (7 months of leave following an accident) in IT company, Infosys Ltd., working in technology: Oracle Human Capital Management, in a techno functional role, as an Impementation Consultant for various reputable US clients.

I worked and have a good idea of business hierarchies of client companies, handling their departmental structures, human workforce and compensation tracks (basically knowledge of how big companies run) as well as upto date on various issues(GDPR issue in Europe).

Post MBA goal - Strategy consultant or Strategic Marketing Consultant

Some other points which may add value to profile:

- Community Service - Teaching less priviledged kids (class 8 to college)
- Inter college accolades for dance and sports
- School captain and College Stream Representative
- I have been trading stocks for the past 2 years

What are my Chances? What score should I aim for?
Kindly advice what I need to do to increase my chances. I have completed various marketing certifications while I researched it. I am thinking of leaving Infosys and joining a digital marketing company for more experience in that field. Is it a good idea?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hi Invoke

A 700+ score should be a good target for your profile, try and hit as much above the class-average of 710 as possible.

You seem to have an inclination towards marketing. While MBAs are a great platform to make that shift, it may seem a little out of place in your application right now. If you're planning to apply to ISB this year, it might make sense to explore roles such as Consulting and Product or Project Management as short-term goals. If you'd like to switch to Marketing, then a year or more of work experience in that area would be the right step.

Extracurriculars do seem a little jaded and out of date, dig in to see if you can find activities that you have been involved with, these can be huge differentiators in the application.

Do get back to us for a detailed discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
RachitMDS wrote:
Hey there everyone!

Key responsibilities :
1. Quality Planning & Monitoring
2. People Management and Manpower handling
3. Coordinate among different functions for production execution
4. Handling customer and technology partner visits
5. Handling Audits
6. Active member of Editorial team of Quarterly In-House Magazine

-Developed sketch-based inspection formats thereby reducing average inspection time and by 20%
-Implemented reuse of geometrical coordinates for speedy marking of large body structures
thereby saving 8 man-hour/man/shift

Key responsibilities :
1. Customer query resolution -have handled clients from S.Korea, UK, Singapore, Japan, US and Germany on a regular basis
2. Planning and execution of various first article activities
3. Contract review
4. Training people
5. Change Management
6. Root Cause and Corrective Action
7. Conducting internal audits
9. PFMEA expert
10 . Active member in various committees : Safety committee, SAP Trainers' team and Composite Repair group

Extra-Curricular :

Post-MBA goals :

Hi RachitMDS,

With 5 years of experience and given your background, please try and aim for a GMAT score of at least a 700, and of course the higher the better.

You need to demonstrate a clear path between your qualities, work experience, and strengths. With 5 years of experience, it is often expected that you would bring with you some kind of domain expertise. A shift to Strategic Consulting, while plausible, may not be the direct career path. Also, long-term goals need to be built on a reference point in your current/immediate short-term journey. We advise you to rethink your goals, as this can often make or break applications.

Lastly, extracurriculars seem a little old and you would need to highlight achievements over the past 2-3 years in your essays.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi!

I found this thread via my MBA research regarding profiles and colleges. The responses here are great and I was wondering if my profile could have an evaluation for the reachable/stretch goals. :)

Sex : Female
Education : B.E. (IT)/BIT Mesra/7.89
GMAT : 720

Work Ex: 4 years

Work ex:
July 2014 - November 2017: Tejas Networks - R&D Engineer, promoted to Senior R&D Engineer
One woman army for the team for about two years in the tenure, the go-to person for every team communicating with us, mentor, pro-active as a fresher - commended for taking initiatives to find ways to do a work with 80% more effiiency(less time), led several developmental projects

November 2017 - current: Infinera India - SDE II
Leading developmental work by finding ways to make the software processes faster by the stats of 99%

August 2017: Young Leaders for Active Citizenship
Leader for active citizenship, did research upon actionable areas in policy making for tribal policies of North East India with 4 other teammates, presented the solutions before the larger team and compiled the measures to be used by Member of Parliament.

Extra-curricular activities:
November-December 2011: Led research upon the challenges faced in rural education in Jharkhand, found the issues to present actionable items and solutions to academic bodies via a paper presentation organised at Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi.
July 2010-May 2014: Speaker at Public Speaking Forum and eventually selected as one of the conveners.
May 2017-current: Toastmaster, Secretary at Infinera Toastmasters.

Short term goal : To lead a product at a tech company(Apple or Amazon) as a Product Manager to learn further intricacies of building a sustainable product

Long term goal : Collaborate with several people in tech and otherwise into coming together to find actionable measures to increase participation of women in all fields in the world - tech and otherwise, and personally mentor as many as possible via the experience I gain from my path traversed.

Target schools: UCLA Anderson, Indian School of Business, Duke University Fuqua, Imperial College London, National University of Singapore

Thank you so much for reading! Looking forward to a response!
-Nandita
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nanditajaya wrote:
Hi!

I found this thread via my MBA research regarding profiles and colleges. The responses here are great and I was wondering if my profile could have an evaluation for the reachable/stretch goals. :)

Work ex:
July 2014 - November 2017: Tejas Networks - R&D Engineer, promoted to Senior R&D Engineer
One woman army for the team for about two years in the tenure, the go-to person for every team communicating with us, mentor, pro-active as a fresher - commended for taking initiatives to find ways to do a work with 80% more effiiency(less time), led several developmental projects

Leading developmental work by finding ways to make the software processes faster by the stats of 99%

Leader for active citizenship, did research upon actionable areas in policy making for tribal policies of North East India with 4 other teammates, presented the solutions before the larger team and compiled the measures to be used by Member of Parliament.

November-December 2011: Led research upon the challenges faced in rural education in Jharkhand, found the issues to present actionable items and solutions to academic bodies via a paper presentation organised at Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi.
July 2010-May 2014: Speaker at Public Speaking Forum and eventually selected as one of the conveners.

Short term goal : To lead a product at a tech company(Apple or Amazon) as a Product Manager to learn further intricacies of building a sustainable product

Long term goal : Collaborate with several people in tech and otherwise into coming together to find actionable measures to increase participation of women in all fields in the world - tech and otherwise, and personally mentor as many as possible via the experience I gain from my path traversed.

Target schools: UCLA Anderson, Indian School of Business, Duke University Fuqua, Imperial College London, National University of Singapore

-Nandita

Hi Nandita,

Yours comes across as a balanced profile with leadership experiences at both work and in the community. Your community work has a common thread running through it, which is good for weaving into a strong story of passion and commitment.
I am pretty alright with your choice of business schools- UCLA will be difficult with a 720 GMAT. Also, I'd add Tepper to the list because it will be great for product management. You could also look into USC Marshall
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
Deepak Tripathi wrote:
Beyondthegmat MBAkarma ISBmantra MBADecoder

Thank you very much for your inputs. I really appreciate your insight and comments for my profile. I am considering a help from a consultant to assist me with my essays as I am really serious to reserve a seat in the next year. Will you suggest any other school which will suit my profile? Post-MBA, I am looking forward to getting into a strategic or consultancy role.

Hi Deepak,

If you are looking to engage a Consultant anyway, we would advise that you research and find the right one soon enough get into a more detailed conversation on the right set of schools to target. It may not be a good idea to go by what a Consultant may suggest based on just the initial information available about you. It is a more scientific process and will require a few rounds of brainstorming sessions. You may explore our services for international schools on admitsquare.com .

All the Best!
ISBmantra / Admit Square
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Deepak Tripathi wrote:
Beyondthegmat MBAkarma ISBmantra MBADecoder

Thank you very much for your inputs. I really appreciate your insight and comments for my profile. I am considering a help from a consultant to assist me with my essays as I am really serious to reserve a seat in the next year. Will you suggest any other school which will suit my profile? Post-MBA, I am looking forward to getting into a strategic or consultancy role.

Hi Deepak,
At BeyondtheGMAT we provide free profile evaluation and also insights on Indian and international B - schools with the best conversion chances. We also provide customized essay and application review service. Please drop us a email at beyondthegmat@gmail.com and we can connect to take this forward.

Thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Bob2018

You profile is a combination of academics, work ex, extracurricular, and career goals (read here to understand this in further detail)
While your past scores look good, extracurricular seem interesting and your international experience will certainly help you stand out, the most critical info around achievements at work, expected GMAT and future career goals is missing.
Mention more around the nature of your work, business impact of your contributions and reasons to pursue MBA (read here on career goals) for a meaningful evaluation of your profile.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Bob2018 wrote:
#PROFILE
#EVALUATION
10th - 90
12th - 76
Grad (B- tech) - 82
Work Ex -3 yrs
Deloitte USI 1.5 yrs

Fire alarm systems

VP
VP
Send PM
nanditajaya wrote:
Hi!

Hello @nanditajaya. Kudos to the detailed info, always helps give a more in-depth feedback.

Work ex:

It is really good to see how you are talking about the impact of your work and not just responsibilities. You will need to carry this attitude in your essays as well. Go slightly deeper to show how these improvements have helped the business save time/cut costs/ increase profitability. It will bring out your business outlook even further.

The story behind this can be very powerful to showcase in the ISB diversity essay. Talk about your motivation behind this and the kind of contribution you made.

Extracurricular seem pretty strong. The challenge for you will be to select just on or two to talk about in the essays. Choose the ones with the most powerful story and something that ties up with your overall narrative. You do not want to be sending out mixed messages.

Very realistic and organic goals. Just go ahead and showcase why you are ready to make this jump (and MBA) now. You can take some pointers here to write in your essays.

I find the list of schools a bit disconnected. I'm sure you must have done your research, so make sure that the shortlisted schools fit your profile. I believe you have a decent shot at ISB. The key will be execution of essays. Read here to know what you should be focusing on in your application.
To conclude, I really like your profile. Despite coming from a large and competitive pool of applicants (IT) your extracurricular, career goals and way you portray your work seem to be working for you. For ISB you stand a fighting chance, if your tie in all of the above well in your written application.

Should you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

-Nandita
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
nanditajaya wrote:
Hi!

Work ex:

-Nandita

Hi Nandita,

Yours comes across as a balanced profile with leadership experiences at both work and in the community. Your community work has a common thread running through it, which is good for weaving into a strong story of passion and commitment.
I am pretty alright with your choice of business schools- UCLA will be difficult with a 720 GMAT. Also, I'd add Tepper to the list because it will be great for product management. You could also look into USC Marshall

Thank you for the response, Namita! :) I am glad my profile is a decent fit. I'll look into the pointers you mentioned and will add Tepper and USC Marshall to my list!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
nanditajaya wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:

Hi Nandita,

Thank you for the response, Namita! :) I am glad my profile is a decent fit. I'll look into the pointers you mentioned and will add Tepper and USC Marshall to my list!

That's great to hear Nandita! I am glad my advice helped. Add these two b-schools after you research them and like their programs. B-school applications require intense workloads, so apply to colleges which excite you and where you are happy to shell out a bomb to study :).

Here's some dope on how to do business school research:
Factors to Consider While Selecting Business Schools
How to Research Business Schools
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

A humble request for profile evaluation as mentioned below. Nothing much is there but still, if anybody can suggest anything.

GMAT not taken yet . Targeting 730 .

Total Work Ex - 8 Yrs
- 2 Yrs worked in education sector (The Chopras-Kaplan & Manya Group-The Princeton Review) as admissions counselor for MS in US.
- 6 Yrs work in Banking sector( Current Job) - worked in retail banking vertical with exposure to Retail liabilities for 4 yrs and Retails assets - operations group for 2 yrs. Handled a team size of 5 when worked in retail assets. In retail liabilities, have been working on solo profile only. Total 3 locations I have worked in Delhi, Noida & Bhopal.
NISM certified for mutual funds advisory services.

Education :
1 Yr PG Diploma in Banking & Finance from Manipal Univ, CGPa 7.8
JAIIB certified (Indian Institute of Banking & Finance)
Bachelor of Science (Comp. Sci. Hons) from University of Delhi in 2009 with 61.1%
Core JAVA certification from NIIT, Delhi
Class 12th -80.2% , Class 10th - 87.2%

Extra curricular - Had worked with NGO , conducted events for education , health awareness and cultural activities. Unfortunately, I do not have any documentary proof for the same.

Cleared Level 1 of exam conducted by INFS for health & nutrition. Level 2 yet to be cleared for becoming Certified nutrition & fitness consultant.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM