Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [82]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [21]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [18]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a [#permalink]
What’s wrong with choice b.I think usage of it is wrong in this choice

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Re: Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a [#permalink]
Kudos
shasara wrote:

there is comparison error in choice B
comparison must be frogs to frogs..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [5]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 for E.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being

(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus

(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are --> Correct, maintains parallelism, and conveys the intended meaning

Hence, E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [7]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvonik2k wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

souvonik2k wrote:
(A)it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

As we have frogs after Unlike, we need to maintain consistency and have any other animal or different frogs. This disrupts the consistency. Hence Incorrect.

souvonik2k wrote:
(B)it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

As we have frogs after Unlike, we need to maintain consistency and have any other animal or different frogs. This disrupts the consistency. Hence Incorrect.

souvonik2k wrote:
(C) in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being

As we have Frogs after Unlike, we need to maintain consistency and have any other animal or different frogs. This disrupts the consistency. Hence Incorrect.

souvonik2k wrote:
(D) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus

Maintains consistency. Frogs compared to different kind of Frogs. But 'Take .... Until' is wrong idiomatic usage. Hence Incorrect

souvonik2k wrote:
(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are

Maintains consistency. Frogs compared to different kind of Frogs. Also idiomatic usage corrected here. Best possible answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
sudarshan22 why do you think option 'D' is incorrect ?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
For D, “thus restricted” doesn’t flow right to me.

Would need a “are” in there somewhere to make it work

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [1]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
souvonik2k wrote:
Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

(A) it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

(B) it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

(E) mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are

This question is slightly different from another question discussed here-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-frogs ... 51036.html.

D would have been had it been written as -

mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus restricting them to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

Please correct me If I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
shasara wrote:

Unlike X, Y..... is a simple vanilla idiom i have come accross many a time .. so discarded B straight away.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM