Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx   Subjunctivex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Re: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor propos [#permalink]
GMATNinja: in choice C>> "proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated". Doesn't it mean>> "to reduce the amount from the previous year" and can be eliminated so do other choices as well based on the same reasoning. Please confirm if this is correct interpretation.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Re: Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor propos [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ravikumarmishra wrote:
GMATNinja: in choice C>> "proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated". Doesn't it mean>> "to reduce the amount from the previous year" and can be eliminated so do other choices as well based on the same reasoning. Please confirm if this is correct interpretation.

Sadly, I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. (C) is wrong because the parallel construction creates an illogical meaning.

Quote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed to reduce by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

According to this version of the sentence, the city's mayor is proposing to do two things:

1) He's proposing to reduce the amount of money allocated for maintenance of cultural institutions.
    2) He's proposing to subsidize the local arts groups.

In what kind of fantasy world would the mayor respond to a budget gap by proposing to give money to arts groups? (A magical one, one where the children all have tap shoes and the streets are paved in sheet music from Gershwin musicals.) (C) is wrong because it makes no sense.

Contrast this with (A):

Quote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

Now the mayor is proposing two things:

1) A reduction in the amount of money allocated to maintain cultural institutions
    2) A reduction in the amount of money allocated to subsidize local arts groups.

Reducing money to local arts groups is a far more coherent response to a budget gap, albeit a depressing one. (A) is correct because it's the more logical construction.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
ravikumarmishra wrote:

Sadly, I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. (C) is wrong because the parallel construction creates an illogical meaning.

Quote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed to reduce by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

According to this version of the sentence, the city's mayor is proposing to do two things:

1) He's proposing to reduce the amount of money allocated for maintenance of cultural institutions.
    2) He's proposing to subsidize the local arts groups.

In what kind of fantasy world would the mayor respond to a budget gap by proposing to give money to arts groups? (A magical one, one where the children all have tap shoes and the streets are paved in sheet music from Gershwin musicals.) (C) is wrong because it makes no sense.

Contrast this with (A):

Quote:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

Now the mayor is proposing two things:

1) A reduction in the amount of money allocated to maintain cultural institutions
    2) A reduction in the amount of money allocated to subsidize local arts groups.

Reducing money to local arts groups is a far more coherent response to a budget gap, albeit a depressing one. (A) is correct because it's the more logical construction.

I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot GMATNinja for your elaborate response and I apologize for not clearly asking what I intended. Let me try again, here is my interpretation of the answer choices:

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

The highlighted part does not make sense to me. To me, the highlighted means>> reduction of a certain percentage of Amount from an Year

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous yearthat was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize.

The highlighted part does not make sense to me. To me, the highlighted means>> Reduce some percentage of Amount from an Year.

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

Same interpretation as for choice B above.

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization.

Same interpretation as for choice C above.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize.

The highlighted part here makes perfect sense as it clearly mentions>> Reduction in amount

Could you please confirm if this is correct interpretation of the answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Dear Expert,
I have a question regarding the none underline part: why not "in the previous year"?
It seems strange "amount allocated the previous year", since "the previous year" is a noun and follows the verb "allocated"

thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Given Kudos: 87
Schools: ISB '21 HBS '21
Send PM
Kudos

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing (previous year’s amount?)

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize (previous year’s amount?)

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize (previous year’s amount?)

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization (previous year’s amount?)

GMATNinja daagh KyleWiddison

Hi experts,
Is the highlighted part a case of wrong comparison. Should it not be "previous year's amount" rather than previous year.

Using this i eliminated BCDE but i could not find this in any of the explanations.
Kindly help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Connor wrote

Quote:

GMATNinja daagh KyleWiddison

Hi experts,
Is the highlighted part a case of wrong comparison. Should it not be "previous year's amount" rather than the previous year.

Using this I eliminated BCDE but i could not find this in any of the explanations.
Kindly help

Let's just deal with your pointed issue choice by choice.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize-- The phrase 'Reduction in the amount' makes it clear that it is the amount that is being reduced and not the year.

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing (previous year’s amount?) -- A reduction from the previous year is illogical Can anyone reduce a year. The comparison has somehow failed to mention the word 'amount.'

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize (previous year’s amount?) -- But C makes it clear that it is the amount that is being reduced. Please read it slowly. The word 'the amount ' is popping out in front. How could you miss that? Therefore C is wrong not for the reason of comparison parallelism but for other reasons such as lack of parallelism between" for the maintenance and to subsidize"

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize (previous year’s amount?) I agree with you. "A reduction from the previous year" is illogical Add to the parallelism issue we discussed in C.

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization (previous year’s amount?) I agree with you in this case too. In addition, a proposal does not entail a subjunctive mood. It is just a proposal and further has to go through some rounds of voting and in the end; the proposal may even be dropped. Then, what does the word 'they' refer to? GOK!

Therefore, you may now see that wherever the word 'amount' is mentioned, we cannot find fault with it.

However, do you have to struggle this much to solve this? IMO. That approach is not required as far as this GMAT SC question is concerned. One can simply look at parallelism and rule out in a single stroke all the other choices but A.

A -- to maintain and to subsidize-- Parallelism is ok.
B -- To maintain and for subsidizing -- Parallelism is not ok.
C-- for the maintenance and to subsidize-- Parallelism is not ok
D-- for maintaining, and to subsidize -- Parallelism is not Ok
E. -- for maintaining and for the subsidization -- Parallelism is not ok

Connor, this is just a suggestion.

Thanks for your nice query. You deserve a Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
GMATNinja

I could see that it is mentioned 'to maintain' and 'for subsidising' are parallel as both are prepositional phrases.

But to maintain is an infinitive which cannot be parallel to prepositional phrase.

Please provide a clear explanation for this, as i am following all your videos and i don't want any gaps.

Thanks for your help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mahi816 wrote:
GMATNinja

I could see that it is mentioned 'to maintain' and 'for subsidising' are parallel as both are prepositional phrases.

But to maintain is an infinitive which cannot be parallel to prepositional phrase.

Please provide a clear explanation for this, as i am following all your videos and i don't want any gaps.

Thanks for your help.
In the correct option, to maintain is parallel to to subsidize.

As for to maintain and for subsidizing, you are correct: they are not very parallel, and that's a good reason to remove the second option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
eyunni wrote:

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 61: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/06/arts/the-arts-are-again-invited-to-the-budget-dance.html

This time, in the face of an estimated $2.75 billion city budget gap over the next year and a half, the Mayor has proposed a reduction of nearly 17 percent from last year in the amount spent to maintain New York's major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups. The preliminary budget announced by the Mayor last week sought about $65 million for the major groups and $7 million for the smaller ones for those purposes in the fiscal year 1997, which begins July 1, compared with $84 million in the current budget. Other cultural appropriations bring the total to $98.1 million.

Eliminate B through E for parallelism errors:

B - To maintain and for subsidizing - not parallel
C - for the maintenance and to subsidize - not parallel
D - for maintaining and to subsidize - not parallel
E - for maintaining and for the subsidization - not parallel

The "it" in B and D has no antecedent. City's is in a possessive phrase and cannot be the antecedent. Same thing with the "they" in E.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
(A) Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated ______ the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

I felt like there is some word missing here (shown by underscore above). Word like - in/to/for. Am I missing something here? GMATNinja help please!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
(A) Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated ______ the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

I felt like there is some word missing here (shown by underscore above). Word like - in/to/for. Am I missing something here? GMATNinja help please!
Hi AnirudhaS,

The the previous year is directly modifying allocated. To see this, let's add a that after amount:

... the amount that was allocated the previous year...
is like saying
... the amount that was allocated last year...

Another example:
He went to Colombo the year before.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
One important thing with the meaning is that TO SUBSIDIZE must be parallel to TO MAINTAIN. Those are two activities in which the the amount of money was invested.

Once we are aware of that this exercise becomes fairly easy.

Best,

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/06/arts/the-arts-are-again-invited-to-the-budget-dance.html

This time, in the face of an estimated $2.75 billion city budget gap over the next year and a half, the Mayor has proposed a reduction of nearly 17 percent from last year in the amount spent to maintain New York's major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups. The preliminary budget announced by the Mayor last week sought about $65 million for the major groups and $7 million for the smaller ones for those purposes in the fiscal year 1997, which begins July 1, compared with $84 million in the current budget. Other cultural appropriations bring the total to $98.1 million.
[/quote]
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
One important thing with the meaning is that TO SUBSIDIZE must be parallel to TO MAINTAIN. Those are two activities in which the the amount of money was invested.

Once we are aware of that this exercise becomes fairly easy.

Best,

[/quote][/quote]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
We need to look for a split which satisfies parallelism

A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor propos [#permalink]
I wish questions could apply make up, coz this one is so ugly.

In addition to all great answer, it is worth noting the illogical part in this question

Quote:

Makes sense - reduction in the amount

Quote:

No not reduction from previous year, it is reduction from amount of previous year.
Quote:

to reduce the amount from the previous year. Nope same problem.
Quote:

very convulated - a reduction from the previous year. Eliminate.
Quote:
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization.

amount they were allocating be reduced from previous year - Complelety Banal.

Originally posted by hero_with_1000_faces on 08 Aug 2020, 05:47.
Last edited by hero_with_1000_faces on 08 Aug 2020, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
This question can be solved without parallelism

(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing [what does it refer to? technically nothing makes sense here and it cannot refer to mayor]
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize [ Okay this looks like 17 percent is actually the amount that was allocated previous year meanwhile the sentence meant to say that 17 percent will be reduced from that amount subtle but its there]

Let me know if my thought process is okay
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I would add one thing that GMATNinja didn't highlight in his solution was that C says "for the maintenance of" where as a simply uses "to maintain".
My understanding is that the GMAT would much rather use the infinitive "to maintain" rather than the awkward "for the maintenance of"
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts