Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of whi [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
Ah, “each.” One of the GMAT’s favorite little things.

There’s some nuance to this, but the quick version is that when “each” is used as a subject, it’s always singular. (Note that “each” can also function as an adverb, though it’s fairly rare on the GMAT – see this thread if you want to torment yourself with those details. Or check out this thread for a more “normal” use of “each.”)

So in this case, we can eliminate (D) right away: “each… consist” is wrong, since “each” is singular.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the word “them” in answer choices (B) and (D). The most recent plural noun is “animals” – but that doesn’t make any sense. “Each of the animals consisting of a single reproductive female and workers…”?? Nope. So (B) is gone, too.

(A) has a nearly identical issue: “each of which” seems to refer back to “animals” as well, and that’s illogical. Our last two choices, (C) and (E), clarify the meaning by using the phrase “each colony.”

The only difference between (C) and (E) is the word “and” -- and that doesn’t quite work in (E). We’d need a full clause after the “and” in this case: “and each colony consisted…” would be OK, but “consisting” is a participle (modifier) here, so we definitely don’t need the “and.”

So our winner is (C). “each colony consisting” is just a modifier – and it makes perfect sense as a source of extra information for that initial clause, “Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals…”

GMATNinja Can i call this a case of resumptive modifier?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of whi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

GMATNinja Can i call this a case of resumptive modifier?

Sure! You know that I'm not a big fan of the grammar terminology, but for whatever it's worth, I think it does qualifies as a resumptive modifier: we're restating a noun ("each colony") so that we can then describe the colony in more detail.

And if you have no idea what we're talking about and have no interest in the term "resumptive modifier", that's cool, too. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I eliminated C because "each worker consisting" and "workers that defend her" dint appear parallel.

Can you help me on this please.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
kamalakarthi wrote:
Hi,

I eliminated C because "each worker consisting" and "workers that defend her" dint appear parallel.

Can you help me on this please.

There's absolutely no reason why those two things need to be parallel. The parallelism trigger "and" is followed by a noun ("workers that defend her"). That noun just needs to be parallel to some other noun -- and "a single reproductive female" does the trick.

So we have: "Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her." No problem there at all.

For more on parallelism, you might want to check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQgATaaw1ok
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GRE 1: Q170 V161

GRE 2: Q170 V161
GPA: 4
Send PM
Why "which" in this sentence can refer to animals, the only logical antecedent is "Colonies" as each animal cannot have both female and male animals in it, Is my reasoning correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ThisIsWater wrote:
Why "which" in this sentence can refer to animals, the only logical antecedent is "Colonies" as each animal cannot have both female and male animals in it, Is my reasoning correct?

Well, yeah. But notice that it required an unpleasant amount of work to arrive at that conclusion. If the sentence had said, "naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which has sharp teeth and bad breath," you probably wouldn't have hesitated to link "each of which" to the nearest noun, "animals." That's a natural first instinct - at least it was for me.

So to make sense of the phrase "naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her," you have to overrule your first instinct, conclude that "animals" don't each consist of a female and workers, and then go searching for something earlier in the sentence that works better. And that's pretty confusing. Compare that with the OA: "Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her." No work required: it's 100% clear, because the sentence tells us EXACTLY what consists of a "female and workers...".

Put another way: (A) isn't necessarily WRONG, exactly, but (C) is undoubtedly better. On the GMAT, clear and logical will always trump murky and ambiguous.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

I rejected option A based on the fact that it is a run on sentence.
Clause 1 : Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals --> Naked mole rats (subject) and form (Verb)
Clause 2 : each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her --> each (is the subject) and consists (verb)

Option B and D has reference issues with "them" and in option E after and we expect a verb which is missing.
Hence, i selected option C.

is my understanding about option A is wrong?

Regards,
Kshitij
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V39
Send PM
kshitijgarg wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I rejected option A based on the fact that it is a run on sentence.
Clause 1 : Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals --> Naked mole rats (subject) and form (Verb)
Clause 2 : each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her --> each (is the subject) and consists (verb)

Option B and D has reference issues with "them" and in option E after and we expect a verb which is missing.
Hence, i selected option C.

is my understanding about option A is wrong?

Regards,
Kshitij

Hi Kshitij,

Actually "each of which" is a modifier like "which". So sentence after "each of which" is not a clause.
Eg: This model explains all known particles, each of which was discovered recently.

choice A can be eliminated for wrong reference of "each of which". (Already explained by GMATNinja )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Ah, “each.” One of the GMAT’s favorite little things.

There’s some nuance to this, but the quick version is that when “each” is used as a subject, it’s always singular. (Note that “each” can also function as an adverb, though it’s fairly rare on the GMAT – see this thread if you want to torment yourself with those details. Or check out this thread for a more “normal” use of “each.”)

So in this case, we can eliminate (D) right away: “each… consist” is wrong, since “each” is singular.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the word “them” in answer choices (B) and (D). The most recent plural noun is “animals” – but that doesn’t make any sense. “Each of the animals consisting of a single reproductive female and workers…”?? Nope. So (B) is gone, too.

(A) has a nearly identical issue: “each of which” seems to refer back to “animals” as well, and that’s illogical. Our last two choices, (C) and (E), clarify the meaning by using the phrase “each colony.”

The only difference between (C) and (E) is the word “and” -- and that doesn’t quite work in (E). We’d need a full clause after the “and” in this case: “and each colony consisted…” would be OK, but “consisting” is a participle (modifier) here, so we definitely don’t need the “and.”

So our winner is (C). “each colony consisting” is just a modifier – and it makes perfect sense as a source of extra information for that initial clause, “Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals…”

Please help me understand how A is wrong .
I understand which follows touch rule and it modifies the closest noun (in our case animals).
But isnt the highlighted text( colonies of approximately 20 animals )a prepositional phrase and then can't the which jump on to modify colonies.
Can you please clarify where I am going wrong in my though process.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
unflinchingSubhs wrote:
Please help me understand how A is wrong .
I understand which follows touch rule and it modifies the closest noun (in our case animals).
But isnt the highlighted text( colonies of approximately 20 animals )a prepositional phrase and then can't the which jump on to modify colonies.
Can you please clarify where I am going wrong in my though process.

We attempted to address this concern in an earlier post. Check it out, and let us know if you still have questions!
GMATNinja wrote:

The other thing that jumps out at me is the word “them” in answer choices (B) and (D). The most recent plural noun is “animals” – but that doesn’t make any sense.

Them is a plural pronoun. I think you taught us that if we have multiple antecedents and it makes sense with any one of them, then the pronoun is not ambiguous.

What am I missing here?
GMATNinja egmat ManhattanPrep
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhinavkant3

Although it's true that not every pronoun with multiple possible antecedents is ambiguous, we also can't say that it's okay to apply whichever antecedent makes the most sense. The intended meaning needs to be very clear, and we need to make sure there are no cues pushing the reader toward an absurd interpretation. This can be rather subjective, so it helps to rely on the cues the question gives us. Generally, if the GMAT gives us the opportunity to replace a pronoun with a clarifying noun ("colony"), and there's no major problem with the choice that does so, we should take it.

As for structure, proximity matters a bit. The role of the intended antecedent matters, too. If "colonies" were the subject, we wouldn't even need a pronoun or clarification: "Naked mole rat colonies consists of approximately 20 animals, a reproductive female and the males that defend her." If after "animals," we pivoted to "and they," the structure would suggest that "they" is still the colonies. "Naked mole rat colonies consists of approximately 20 animals, and they remain distinct from other colonies even when they occupy the same territory." However, here "colonies" is the object of the clause, so it's less clear when we get to "they" that it is our intended antecedent. Answer choice A may be the worst, since it directly applies a noun modifier to "animals," but once we notice that error, we should look for an answer that most clearly overcomes the problem and refers us back to the colonies.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
abhinavkant3 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

The other thing that jumps out at me is the word “them” in answer choices (B) and (D). The most recent plural noun is “animals” – but that doesn’t make any sense.

Them is a plural pronoun. I think you taught us that if we have multiple antecedents and it makes sense with any one of them, then the pronoun is not ambiguous.

What am I missing here?
GMATNinja egmat ManhattanPrep

What we've said is that pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule that you always need to follow. Just because you have a pronoun with multiple possible antecedents doesn't automatically make it wrong. (For more on that, check out this video.)

Does that mean that pronoun ambiguity is never a problem? Nope, that's not quite true. If an ambiguous pronoun makes the sentence confusing and there are less-confusing options, then that gives you a vote against the more confusing options (i.e. B and D in this case).

Does that mean that B and D are wrong SOLELY because of the pronoun ambiguity? Absolutely not, and unfortunately there are very few black and white rules that you can blindly apply on GMAT SC. The point of our explanation was that (C) is a better choice.

I hope that makes sense!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Hi experts

Is option A a run-on sentence (2 ICs connected by a comma)?
IMO - "Each of which....." can not stand alone as a separate sentence. However, I am still unsure about this

Regards, Devansh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
devansh18 wrote:
Hi experts

IMO - "Each of which....." can not stand alone as a separate sentence. However, I am still unsure about this

Regards, Devansh

No, the part after the comma is just a modifier that gives us more information about the colonies, and that's perfectly fine.

As we say all the time, the GMAT is pretty lenient when it comes to comma usage. Commas are frequently used to separate extra modifying information from the rest of the sentence, as is the case here. Commas are also sometimes used simply for clarity, often to help organize or break up a long, complicated sentence.

If you have two independent clauses joined by a conjunction, then you need a comma. But having a comma certainly does not automatically mean that you NEED another independent clause.

Other examples can be found here and here.

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
devansh18 wrote:
Hi experts

Regards, Devansh

Hello devansh18,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, no - Option A is not a run-on sentence. "each of which...her" is a modifying phrase, wherein the "comma + which" construction links "animals" to "consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her".

Please remember, only constructions that can serve as complete sentences can be independent clauses.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
is- ''each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her'' in A] an independent clause and therefore a semicolon required?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts