Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: stuck at 680 [#permalink]
Kudos
hggmat wrote:
Hi, I have appeared for 3 mock tests and my scores are stuck between 670-690 --Q-47,48,V-36,35. I am aiming for a 720+ but just cant get to that score. Any suggestions on what i should be focusing on to get that 40 pt. jump i need?? I am planning to appear for the test end on August.

Thanks Harshal

Hi hggmat,

You should focus a bit on both Quant and Verbal. If you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice.

Hope this helps. All the best!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hggmat,

Since your Scores on these 3 practice CATs are so similar to one another, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30793 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi hggmat,

670-690 (80-85 percentile) is a good score to build upon. It indicates good grasp over concepts and process to solve GMAT questions. From here on, you must plan to improve iteratively. You may follow the below mentioned steps to do so:
    Step 1: Take a mock test/ Ability Quiz on Scholaranium
    Step 2: Identify the top 2/3 weak areas and work upon them
    Step 3: Take another mock test/ Ability Quiz to track improvement (You should see improvement owing to fewer mistakes in the weak areas)
    Step 4: Identify the top 2/3 weak areas from this test and work upon them

Repeat this process till you reach your target score. All the best!

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hggmat,

I’m also happy to provide some advice, but I have a few additional questions:

1) I see that you took 3 official GMAT practice exams. Can you please provide the dates on which you took those practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you have been studying. For many hours a day and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some personalized advice.

You also may find this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hggmat,

Since your Scores on these 3 practice CATs are so similar to one another, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Hi Rich, Thanks for the response--

1- I did take the Quant and verbal sections in one sitting didnt properly respond on the essay and IR sections
2- Yes
3- Yes
4- I might have extended my breaks a little
5- I did come across a few repeat questions on the last 2 tests I took.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="ScottTargetTestPrep"]Hi hggmat,

I’m also happy to provide some advice, but I have a few additional questions:

1) I see that you took 3 official GMAT practice exams. Can you please provide the dates on which you took those practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) Please describe how you have been studying. For many hours a day and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some personalized advice.

You also may find this article about

Hi Scott, Thanks for the response--
1- Test 1--Q48 V 36, Test--2 Q47 V36, Test--3 Q47 V 35 I did not respond to the IR section properly in any of the tests, I was relaxed gave them at home.
2- I started early June have been using the OG and e-gmat course
3- Majority programs I am interested in have a deadline of Sept. 1st week
4- I would like to take it by 25th August, probably 31st August
5- I have been giving it 4-6 hrs on average can improve slightly at this time as well.

Thanks,
Harshal
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
hey hggmat

Sounds like you've hit the 'plateau'!
The 'plateau' is what we call that phase when you've done your studying and know the material but seem to have stopped improving - you just keep making the same mistakes and keep missing the same types of questions. So how do you break through this glass ceiling?

Usually, the answer isn't more fine-tuning, it is an adaptation of strategy.
For example, you say you know the concepts but don't know which to apply. This suggests that you are focused in on what we call the 'Precise' solution approach - trying to fully solve a question by applying the correct mathematical rules / equations / concepts. Oftentimes, this is the wrong way to go! If you can reach the correct answer without actually solving the question (for example, by eliminating impossible answers) then there is no need for you to be able to pick out the 'right concept'.

As another example, maybe you make 'silly' mistakes. Do you use simple numbers to verify your calculations or your logic? Making an abstract problem concrete with examples can make it much easier to avoid falling into logical traps. This is an example of what we call the 'Alternative' approach.

So: in addition to fine-tuning your current approaches (for example by working more carefully, writing clearly, reviewing errors, etc.) I suggest you consider a shift in strategy - is there a completely different way to answer questions that you've so far missed? Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info, or check out our Intro to PAL video here, which explains different strategic approaches in depth.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Harshal,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes on your CAT results and some suggestions.

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
hggmat wrote:
Hi, I have appeared for 3 mock tests and my scores are stuck between 670-690 --Q-47,48,V-36,35. I am aiming for a 720+ but just cant get to that score. Any suggestions on what i should be focusing on to get that 40 pt. jump i need?? I am planning to appear for the test end on August.

Thanks Harshal

If you feel you are stuck, it may help to open your eyes to see how someone else thinks through GMAT questions so you can subconsciously compare your thought process with others.

At GMAT Pill, that's what we provide - a different perspective that often opens up new doors for mental approaches to the same questions you are answering.

Here are 2 examples:

https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

For Verbal, we recommend solidifying your SC skills first: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

As you study OG, follow along our SC videos. Here's a sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_ckd ... H1HmTgctJI

You can learn more about our student success at https://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Also - make it a habit to review your mistake right before you go to bed and again when you wake up. This increases your ability to learn from your mistakes exponentially and can do wonders to your score.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM