Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help:28 in verbal in second attempt after scoring 38 in the first [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Simbasim,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. The main question here is the following: Why did you score significantly lower on verbal on the real GMAT than you did on your most recent practice tests? While it’s possible that nerves affected your performance on the test, it's more likely that some of your verbal weaknesses were exposed when you took the GMAT.

Scoring high on GMAT verbal tends to involve using logic and noticing key details. However, it is possible to get some verbal questions right by looking for patterns that you have already encountered in your preparation. Looking for patterns will not always work though, and if the patterns with which you are familiar don’t show up in the questions that you see on the actual GMAT, your verbal score will not be very high.

So, one possible reason for the difference between your verbal scores on practice tests and your verbal score on the real GMAT is that, in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on verbal. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests.

To hit your verbal score goal, you probably have to adjust the way that you have been preparing, and focus your preparation on developing skills, such as use of logic, that you can use to correctly answer GMAT verbal questions regardless of what verbal tricks the test presents. In order to develop those skills, you may need to slow way down in your verbal preparation, and analyze questions and answer choices until you clearly see the logic of questions. In other words, your preparation has to be deeper and has to result in your clearly seeing what is going on in verbal questions.

For instance, to improve your Critical Reasoning skills, you would go beyond seeking to answer practice questions in under two minutes, and carefully analyze many Critical Reasoning questions to see what makes them work, what key details you have to notice in order to get Critical Reasoning questions correct, and how logic clearly defines differences between incorrect answers and correct answers. As it stands, it seems likely that you are getting tricked by trap answers. So, you have to slow down in your preparation and learn to see the clear differences between trap answers and correct answers. Only once you have developed more skill in recognizing what is going on in these questions should you seek to speed up and answer questions in under two minutes.

Also, I think you have to do some significant review of Sentence Correction basics such as subject-verb agreement and the use of modifiers.

You CAN get your score up. Just work hard! Reach out if you have questions.

Hi Scott, Thanks for replying

I am definitely going to assess my verbal preparation afresh.
Can you please suggest some good material apart from OGs for the verbal preparation.
Is Manhattan SC along with OG sufficient for SC?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Help:28 in verbal in second attempt after scoring 38 in the first [#permalink]
nishantd88 wrote:
simbasim wrote:
On my first official GMAT attempt i scored 38 in verbal but it has dropped to 28 in the second one. On GMAT prep mock tests 3 and 4, i scored 690 and 710 scoring 40 and 42 in verbal. What should be my strategy now as i cant make sense of this score of 28, someone please help. I used Manhattan SC and OG 18 for verbal. Also i gave the mock tests in exam condition without pausing the exam.

I hope you didn't leave anything unanswered? An ESR might help in understanding where exactly things went off. Since you have been consistently scoring around 40, it might just be an outlier for all you know.

Hi nishantd88, Thanks for replying.

Will get the ESR, also as you said it could be an outlier.

I read your debrief and its very informative. I just want to ask couple of more questions.
Did you use any material for DS Quant concepts or you just practised questions from OG and GMAT club tests?
How important is coaching for vebal section? What material one can use for verbal to get a score around 40 without taking coaching?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
simbasim wrote:
nishantd88 wrote:
simbasim wrote:
On my first official GMAT attempt i scored 38 in verbal but it has dropped to 28 in the second one. On GMAT prep mock tests 3 and 4, i scored 690 and 710 scoring 40 and 42 in verbal. What should be my strategy now as i cant make sense of this score of 28, someone please help. I used Manhattan SC and OG 18 for verbal. Also i gave the mock tests in exam condition without pausing the exam.

I hope you didn't leave anything unanswered? An ESR might help in understanding where exactly things went off. Since you have been consistently scoring around 40, it might just be an outlier for all you know.

Hi nishantd88, Thanks for replying.

Will get the ESR, also as you said it could be an outlier.

I read your debrief and its very informative. I just want to ask couple of more questions.
Did you use any material for DS Quant concepts or you just practised questions from OG and GMAT club tests?
How important is coaching for vebal section? What material one can use for verbal to get a score around 40 without taking coaching?

Quant I was comfortable with. So I didn't use any material as such. Just used OG and GMATClub tests to practice.
Coaching is a personal choice. Totally depends on your objective, comfort level with current status, etc. I wouldn't be the right person to advice on what material would work as I personally just used the e-gmat course. But from what I have heard, people have benefited from Manhattan books. Powerscore CR is also quite popular.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi simbasim,

Since you are on GMAT Club, you should check out reviews of the top verbal courses. Seeing what has worked well for past students should help provide some clarity about which verbal materials will work best for you.

If you need any further advice regarding your verbal prep, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts