Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [16]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Sales force automation uses software to streamline the sales process. [#permalink]
Please do correct my reasoning:

C) says fraction, but it does not represent quantity; even 99% potential already customer but 1% may still represent a huge number, say 10k.

D) evaluate existing and new program effectiveness, imo through D) we can better determine the likehood of the plan to be successful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Sales force automation uses software to streamline the sales process. [#permalink]
Kudos
sucal000 wrote:
Please do correct my reasoning:

C) says fraction, but it does not represent quantity; even 99% potential already customer but 1% may still represent a huge number, say 10k.

D) evaluate existing and new program effectiveness, imo through D) we can better determine the likehood of the plan to be successful

The plan is to invest in a dedicated sales force automation program to improve sales.

(C)What fraction of Kravner Industries potential customers are already Kravner Industries customers?
If the fraction is 30%, hence they should invest in the sales force automation program for there is till plenty of room to gain sales. However, if the fraction is, say, 90%, why would Kravner invest in the force while the majority of the potential clients are already it's clients?

(D) How significantly would the degree of effectiveness between initial contact and final disposition vary for the new sales force automation program?
In order for the plan to be successful, it has to help K improve sales. This choice is about maintenance/operation/quality control aspect, it does not help K to gain sales at all, i think if the aim is all about retaining current customers then this could be it

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 3
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Quote:
Sales force automation uses software to streamline the sales process. At the core of sales force automation is a contact management system to track and record every stage in the sales process for each prospective client, from initial contact to final disposition. Kravner Industries should invest in a dedicated sales force automation program to improve its sales.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the likelihood that the plan outlined above would be successful?

(A) How many customers currently use sales force automation programs?
(B) What would the sales force automation program cost Kravner Industries?
(C)What fraction of Kravner Industries potential customers are already Kravner Industries customers?
(D) How significantly would the degree of effectiveness between initial contact and final disposition vary for the new sales force automation program?
(E) How many of Kravner Industries’ competitors currently use sales force automation programs?

For the plan to be successful, Kravner Industries should be able to improve it's sales through the new sales force automation program.

Let's have a look at the answer choices.

(A) How many customers currently use sales force automation programs? - This would be extraneous information and would not be much helpful in improving sales for Kravner Industries, also we have no idea if the software is even for the customers. - Irrelevant
(B) What would the sales force automation program cost Kravner Industries? - This is a tempting choice, but the problem is that we have no idea about how Kravner industries was investing prior to this to improve their sales. - OUT OF SCOPE
(C)What fraction of Kravner Industries potential customers are already Kravner Industries customers? - This would be useful information as Kravner industries would then be in a better position to judge, target and invest on new prospect customers. Correct!!
(D) How significantly would the degree of effectiveness between initial contact and final disposition vary for the new sales force automation program? - A trick choice, the effectiveness would be a key factor to evaluate but with option "C" we have a better choice.
(E) How many of Kravner Industries’ competitors currently use sales force automation programs? - None of our business - OUT OF SCOPE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Very good question, D is a great trap choice.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't see how this question has a good answer. Of course, if this company has a monopoly, and has no potential to increase sales, there's no reason to invest in a product to increase sales. So I suppose C is useful to evaluate, just to rule out that possibility. But that's the only reason we'd care about C. Most of the time when you evaluate C, you'll find that yes, there are potential customers out there.

Crucially, there's no reason to think that adopting this automation system lets a company attract new customers. The system only becomes relevant once there is an "initial contact". So we can presume that the system only increases sales if these initial contacts more often turn into actual sales. I assume that's what answer D is trying to convey, but there's no way to tell because answer D is not written in English:

If I guess what D intends to say, it seems to me to be the only reasonable answer here though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
I don't see how this question has a good answer. Of course, if this company has a monopoly, and has no potential to increase sales, there's no reason to invest in a product to increase sales. So I suppose C is useful to evaluate, just to rule out that possibility. But that's the only reason we'd care about C. Most of the time when you evaluate C, you'll find that yes, there are potential customers out there.

Crucially, there's no reason to think that adopting this automation system lets a company attract new customers. The system only becomes relevant once there is an "initial contact". So we can presume that the system only increases sales if these initial contacts more often turn into actual sales. I assume that's what answer D is trying to convey, but there's no way to tell because answer D is not written in English:

If I guess what D intends to say, it seems to me to be the only reasonable answer here though.

I think you are missing a key point, it clearly says "prospective clients", evaluating the efficacy of the new process is secondary, the first thing one needs to ascertain is whether there is need for such a system. For eg. If majority of your business comes from repeat customers why would you even bother investing in a sales software to target more prospective clients when you bread basket is already full.

I think you are assuming facts not mentioned in the question, I can relate to the question as I work in sales but yes I do see your logic behind D, but I feel C is a stronger choice in my opinion. Its the first elimination filter of sorts.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
richirish wrote:
I think you are missing a key point, it clearly says "prospective clients", evaluating the efficacy of the new process is secondary, the first thing one needs to ascertain is whether there is need for such a system.

I'll grant that I might be missing a key point, because I find the writing in the question opaque. But from the stem, the sales force system only comes into effect for prospective clients "from initial contact". There's nothing in the stem that tells us that "sales force automation" will lead new people to make that "initial contact". So it is not a marketing or advertising campaign that we're evaluating (if it were, of course the size of the potential customer base would be important) -- we're evaluating a system that only kicks in once someone contacts the company.

So if this system does nothing to attract new "contacts", whether potential new contacts exist in the world actually doesn't matter (that's how I interpret "potential customers" in C, but because the question doesn't bother to define "prospective clients" or "potential customers", there's no reliable way to interpret what these phrases mean). Sales can then only increase if a greater number of "initial contacts" are converted to sales because of the system, or if each buyer ends up buying more things because of the system. So it then comes down to how effective the system is, once a client is 'in the system'. I don't understand what D is saying, but it's the only answer choice that appears to mention the system's effectiveness, so as I'm interpreting the wording, it's the only answer that seems justifiable to me.

The wording is ambiguous enough, though, that if you defined some of the terms differently from how I am, you could justify another answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
=> doesn't affect on whether the implementation of the process will improve sales

=> cost is not a part of the conclusion which is about the likelihood that the process will improve sales

=> CORRECT the process will improve sales if the Kravner has many customers that they haven't sold products. The likelihood to sales depend on the potential size of the prize. In other words, you can only improve sales if the potential for extra sales exists

=> common incorrect choice of test makers. They want to have a answer choice about comparison between internal factors of a process while the question demands us to evaluate the effectiveness of the total process

(E) How many of Kravner Industries’ competitors currently use sales force automation programs?
=> another favorite answer choice of the test makers. It use endorsement of experts or common practice of competitors that is without proof of success to justify the likelihood of sucess of a plan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
Sales force automation uses software to streamline the sales process. At the core of sales force automation is a contact management system to track and record every stage in the sales process for each prospective client, from initial contact to final disposition. Kravner Industries should invest in a dedicated sales force automation program to improve its sales.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the likelihood that the plan outlined above would be successful?

D seems to make more sense than C.

C -> What is the conversion rate of potential customers to customers? Without this information, C cannot help us determine if the automation tool is needed or not. If the conversion rate is 100%, would the tool be needed? If it is 99%, does the cost justify the adoption and the price of doing so? Will the tool actually guarantee that increase? (btw, D helps evaluate this last question).

D -> If the degree of effectiveness varies significantly such that the cost of adopting the tool is justified, then it makes sense to adopt it. Arguably, the degree of effectiveness could vary positively or negatively with current efficiency levels thereby making the evaluation of D crucial to the decision to adopt the tool.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts