Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2101 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Looking for a GMAT tutor! [#permalink]
XiaoHei wrote:

5) This year, I plan to apply for ph.d in Marketing/MIS

6) Schools I am planning to apply to
Marketing: Kellog, Booth (Dream school, 730+), Wharton (Maybe)
MIS: Carlson (best choice, 720 at least), CMU heinz

Hi! Nice to know you want to do a PhD. You may find this link interesting:-

https://gmatclub.com/forum/applicants-w ... 68065.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
XiaoHei wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a tutor, especially in verbal and study plan, do you have any recommendation? many thanks!
Here is my profile

Studies:
1) How long have I studied?
I have been studying since June 1st but there were interruptions.
First, I took an online course and finished all the assignments by the instructor, lasting from June to Mid July;
Second, I moved to each section, math-SC-CR but left too little time for CR
Third, I did an practice test on PREP software. Unfortunately, it was the old version

2) Practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)
My overall score is 650
Verbal: 31
Quant: 48
IR: 4 (Did not try my best)

3) Score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)
My Official GMAT score is 580
Verbal: 20 (Freaked out :sick: :sick: :sick: )
Quant:49
IR:6
If possible, I could send my ESR

Goals:
4) My goal score: 720-735

There is a long way to go....
I can take the second on Sep 5

XiaoHei
Check this link
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-tutors- ... 79157.html
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi XiaoHei,

I am sorry to hear that your score was not in line with your expectations. Your score of V20 suggests significant gaps in both concepts and process to approach GMAT Verbal questions. Since you are looking for a tutor, I would suggest that you look at the Verbal Live Prep course. It is one of the most reviewed course on GMAT Club.
    • Learn how Askul leveraged our Verbal Live Prep to improve from a V17 to V40. Click here to read his debrief.

Need help in creating a Personalized Strategy and Study Plan to reach your target score?

If you need help in creating a Personalized Strategy and Study Plan, write to us at support@e-gmat.com and we would be happy to help you. Alternatively, you can also register for our free GMAT Strategy webinar this weekend or read our article on Personalized Study Plans for 100+ Score Improvement. This article also has 3 sample plans to help you create one for yourself.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Aditee
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Looking for a GMAT tutor! [#permalink]
Hey XiaoHei
There are lots of tutors out there, but here's one option:
through examPAL, you can get 4 or even 8 sessions with our expert tutors, plus get access to our entire course, for a lot less than it would take you to just get the same amount of sessions elsewhere.
Explanation: The examPAL Genius package is an entire GMAT course, with instructional videos, AI practice technology, and also a 70 point improvement guarantee, and also 3 tutor sessions included. however, the package includes credits which can be used towards getting sessions - so if you use your credits towards sessions only, you can get 8 sessions. A similar thing is true for the Premium package, which is cheaper, and has enough credits for 4 sessions.
Check us out - and ask me any questions here if you have any!

XiaoHei wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a tutor, especially in verbal and study plan, do you have any recommendation? many thanks!
Here is my profile

Studies:
1) How long have I studied?
I have been studying since June 1st but there were interruptions.
First, I took an online course and finished all the assignments by the instructor, lasting from June to Mid July;
Second, I moved to each section, math-SC-CR but left too little time for CR
Third, I did an practice test on PREP software. Unfortunately, it was the old version

2) Practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)
My overall score is 650
Verbal: 31
Quant: 48
IR: 4 (Did not try my best)

3) Score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)
My Official GMAT score is 580
Verbal: 20 (Freaked out :sick: :sick: :sick: )
Quant:49
IR:6
If possible, I could send my ESR

Goals:
4) My goal score: 720-735

There is a long way to go....
I can take the second on Sep 5
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi XiaoHei,

Since you plan to continue your self-study, I am happy to provide some advice on how to improve your verbal score.

Given that you have been studying since June and have yet to crack a V31, you really need to look at HOW you have been preparing, and potentially make some changes. Based on your practice test and real test score, it’s clear that you lack certain GMAT verbal skills that are necessary for a high score. To develop such skills, you will need a study plan that allows you to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build GMAT mastery of one topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts.

For example, let’s say you begin studying Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so you can assess how well you understand the topic. If, for example, you incorrectly answer a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific Critical Reasoning question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you are reading a paragraph, also consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of Reading Comprehension questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses.

The process above can be perfected with a lot of practice. However, keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating, so to better prepare yourself to read such bland passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, the reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is likely that you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer.

As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns in the sentence clearly refer to nouns in the sentence? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

The third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct is what you have to do. The main thing that you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices in a Sentence Correction question, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. For instance, are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently that would have extended your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regiments, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you’ll then want to practice with SC questions that test you on skills from multiple SC topics.

Ultimately, if you are unable to learn and practice in the manner described above, you may consider looking for additional verbal prep resources. If you are unsure of which resources to choose, check out some reviews here on GMAT Club.

You also may find my article with more information regarding how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
Tutoring can get pricey by the hour. Have you considered video based tutoring courses that try to replicate the tutoring experience? That's basically what GMAT Pill specializes in.

Each course takes a slightly different approach - and what works for one person may not work for you. So explore around to see which approaches resonate with you.

We take a "thought process" approach - with expert demonstration videos that show the thinking process that goes on in an expert's head as they think through a test question.

Here is a Google Sheet with links to OG SC video explanations showcasing our style:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As an example, you can try to watch through a few walkthroughs here:
https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrection/og/q007.mp4
https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrection/og/d35.mp4

This is a great resource from which to practice and also to hear an expert's perspective when thinking through test questions.

We also look at core types of questions -- such as distance/rate questions. And we do multiple variations of that core question -- perhaps two trains are moving away from each other, then towards each other -- what if they're moving at an angle? What if they start at different times? Sounds like a lot - but once you identify all that is possible and you practice those -- then there will be minimal surprises during the test.

We encourage you to explore some of the success stores of GMAT Pill-ers at:

https://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

---and get additional GMAT Practice at our online question bank, which has 1,000+ practice questions available free. A paid account is required to view all of our excellent video explanations.

Focus, focus, focus,
https://www.gmatpill.com
GMAT Club Bot