Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '21 (WL)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V33
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the [#permalink]
Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as store credit.

A. if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as
Refunded back is redundad

B. for purchases that are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchases are refunded as
They refund the price of the purchase not the purchased to the credit card,

C. when the purchase is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but not given in the form of
They refund the price of the purchase not the purchased to the credit card

D. if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card, but not if the refund is given as
Correct answer

E. whose purchase prices are refunded to the customer's credit card, and charge no such fees if refunded
Whose is possesive of who, so here the subject would be "purchases" changing the meaning of the sentence

I got stuck between a and d. The option 'd' does not seem to have complete sentence after but. So we have a run on sentence. Am I missing something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
Ilomelin wrote:
Could someone explain why B is wrong? I am struggling with this one because it seems to be a really subtle mistake (Refund of the purchase instead of the purchase price). Is there a grammatical mistake or is it only the meaning?

There is a parallelism issue in B. Since "but not" is followed by a "when" clause, there must be an opening "when" clause for the structure:

...for purchases that are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchases are refunded as.... wrong - faulty parallelism

...when purchases are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchasesare refunded as.... correct.

Don't you think a "do" verb is missing in the option D?
I think D would be correct with a do before not in the second part of the sentence as enumerated below.

D. if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card, but "do" not if the refund is given as.

I would be glad if you throw some light on it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
This is a poor quality question. if is a conditional statement. if cannot be used when stating rules.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
vatsas wrote:
Many online retailers charge “restocking fees” on returns if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as store credit.

A. if the purchase price is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but charge no such fees if given as
charge no such fees is redudant therefore out

B. for purchases that are refunded to the customer's credit card, but not when those purchases are refunded as
those usage isn't required and construction too long therefore out

C. when the purchase is refunded back to the customer's credit card, but not given in the form of
but not given in the form isn't the right usage therefore out

D. if the purchase price is refunded to the customer's credit card, but not if the refund is given as
THe meaning is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

E. whose purchase prices are refunded to the customer's credit card, and charge no such fees if refunded
whose purchases isn't making much sense therefore out

THerefore IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Many online retailers charge restocking fees on returns if the [#permalink]
When I attempted this question, I eliminated D pretty quickly on the basis that you cannot refund a purchase price. You can refund money, but refunding a purchase price seems illogical to me.

Could someone explain why it isn't illogical?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aliwebber2 wrote:
When I attempted this question, I eliminated D pretty quickly on the basis that you cannot refund a purchase price. You can refund money, but refunding a purchase price seems illogical to me.

Hello aliwebber2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, to say that the "purchase price" has been refunded simply means that an amount of money equal to the purchase price has been refunded.

In general, a specific amount of money can be referred to as a "price", cost", etc. and referred to with verbs such as "paid", "refunded", "transferred", etc. that can be used to act upon "money".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
aliwebber2 wrote:

Hello aliwebber2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, to say that the "purchase price" has been refunded simply means that an amount of money equal to the purchase price has been refunded.

In general, a specific amount of money can be referred to as a "price", cost", etc. and referred to with verbs such as "paid", "refunded", "transferred", etc. that can be used to act upon "money".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks for the explanation. I'll bear that in mind when dealing with money/price/cost questions in the future!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts