Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - MiM at ESSEC [#permalink]
Kudos
If you get a rejection then R1 then I don't think you can apply in R2 of the same application cycle.

And if you apply next year I don't think it will affect negatively on your profile as a reapplicant. On one hand, it shows your commitment to that school and on the other, you have the burden to prove improvements in your profile from last year. I know this is not the answer you're hoping for but there is no straight answer to this question.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - MiM at ESSEC [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey there,

8.5 is a pretty decent score; GMAT is great that would help you out. You have pretty decent extracurricular, but you need to showcase how they helped in creating value for the community.

Regarding internships, where exactly you did your internships would matter a lot because you would be competing with people who have a really strong work experience (in terms of brands and job responsibilities)

Overall I would say ESSEC would be in the competitive category for you. But you still have a 70-75% of chance.

To get a detailed idea, you can get your profile evaluated here - https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 22 Oct 2018, 04:32.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 31 Oct 2019, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Gmat target - 680-730
should I target to get hec, essec or escp for MIM?
I have 7.68/10 cgpa from GLA University equivalent to 76.8% or 4 GPA (GMAT standard table).......passed in 2018........ NO Work experience except an internship from a factory, which is now closed due to some new governmental rules.
I had been a member of Rotaract Club sponsored by Rotary International for social works (High-school Time)
Won a talent test and got a gold medal in one olympiad talent exam and also earned certificates in many exams at my schooling
Then at my graduation, I had been the head or coordinator or organiser of 6 events
I participated and got 4 certificates in some entrepreneurship-oriented competition at my college
Then I got a certificate in TALL BUILDING STRUCTURES from one of the prestigious institutions of India, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Then I was the campus ambassador of one of the top management college of India, Indian Institute Of Management, Banglore.

Then I did some online certificate programs from some great universities -- ESSEC (Marketing Analytics), HEC (Leadership- Souvoir Relier), THE WHARTON (Introduction to marketing), University of California (Time management)

please guide me, I am losing much-required confidence due to this one year gap.
Your guidance will be very helpful to usher me toward my goal

Yeah the last thing I am learning french, and now I am at least able to make a few sentences, I can't vouch about fluency unless I live in a French environment...But I think It would help, would it?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - MiM at ESSEC [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Tanmaysaxena97,

I would say that your profile is reliable for the top 10 MiM Schools. You have mentioned HEC, ESSEC, ESCP as your target schools, which happen to be in the

Now, very honestly, I would say HEC would be slightly tough unless your GMAT is 700+. The school is notorious for recruiting from the top UG colleges of a country, so this will be more of a dream school for you.
A 7.5+ GPA is fair enough - not a dealbreaker, but make sure that you are highlighting other profile strengths to compensate for the same.

Your extra-curriculars are interesting - You have been involved with some good brand names like Rotract and IIT, and I can see that you have some quantifiable achievements in the form of awards and recognitions as well.
However, I feel that you are slightly under-selling your extra-curriculars - The achievements and learnings are not quantified properly. I would suggest you brainstorm and come up with strong data points to represent your extra-curricular section. If represented properly, they can help differentiate your profile and even compensate for the GPA.

Do not under-sell your internship as well - You have mentioned an internship at a factory but have not given many details on the duration, job profile, etc. So I cannot comment on the same.

Can you take up a free profile evaluation and provide me with those details? Would be able to help you out better than - Here's the link: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
About the Gap year, if you can justify the reason for the same and highlight the activities that you might have undertaken during that period, it might not be a massive roadblock.

It is completely fine that you are yet to master French - Many international applicants work on their language skills while studying the program so this is not an issue.

About your target schools, as I had mentioned HEC can be a dream school, ESSEC and ESCP come in the competitive category while Grenoble can be bucked under a safe school.

I hope this helped, good luck!

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 05 Sep 2019, 11:55.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 13 Nov 2019, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abhyank wrote:
Hey Tanmaysaxena97,

I would say that your profile is reliable for the top 10 MiM Schools. You have mentioned HEC, ESSEC, ESCP as your target schools, which happen to be in the

Now, very honestly, I would say HEC would be slightly tough unless your GMAT is 700+. The school is notorious for recruiting from the top UG colleges of a country, so this will be more of a dream school for you.
A 7.5+ GPA is fair enough - not a dealbreaker, but make sure that you are highlighting other profile strengths to compensate for the same.

Your extra-curriculars are interesting - You have been involved with some good brand names like Rotract and IIT, and I can see that you have some quantifiable achievements in the form of awards and recognitions as well.
However, I feel that you are slightly under-selling your extra-curriculars - The achievements and learnings are not quantified properly. I would suggest you brainstorm and come up with strong data points to represent your extra-curricular section. If represented properly, they can help differentiate your profile and even compensate for the GPA.

Do not under-sell your internship as well - You have mentioned an internship at a factory but have not given many details on the duration, job profile, etc. So I cannot comment on the same.

Can you take up a free profile evaluation and provide me with those details? Would be able to help you out better than - Here's the link: https://info.mim-essay.com/forums-pe
About the Gap year, if you can justify the reason for the same and highlight the activities that you might have undertaken during that period, it might not be a massive roadblock.

It is completely fine that you are yet to master French - Many international applicants work on their language skills while studying the program so this is not an issue.

About your target schools, as I had mentioned HEC can be a dream school, ESSEC and ESCP come in the competitive category while Grenoble can be bucked under a safe school.

I hope this helped, good luck!

Hey! Abhyank
I managed the whole factory actually it is a long story though how I got the whole factory in hands. But the experience at managing on my own was awesome. I know still MNC is something big when we compare to a unknown factory. However managing a factory, I think, was like managing a plant of some MNC, I don't know, but maybe it was like that. I managed everything from labour to orders to suppliers. I learnt not just from the owner but from the labour, but then decided to get internship certificate from the owner, he said okay! I wasn't paid anything but I was exempted from the rent of the room.

Yeah I will try to represent my extra curriculars with more clarity and foundation.

And Yeah I am targeting 700+, otherwise I won't join any school.

Btw, In the gap year, I did this internship, I have been campus ambassador of IIM Bangalore for 2 months or so. I did many courses which show my dedication toward my goal in business oriented career. Courses are from prestigious schools like Hec, UIC, Essec and The wharton, and I got good knowledge about marketing and various aspects of it and leadership, time management and a little about marketing Analytics. I am looking forward to do 2-3 more courses so that I can have good knowledge about where I am going is actually made for me, ensuring a leap in my career before even joining the real one.

Thank you so much for your precious time. I am glad you gave me great feedbacks.

One more thing, Insead representative for MIM checked my profile and she said your everything in your profile is commendable and you have had a fulfilling gap year. However target for 700, as you said.

Please reply now if I have clarified everything properly.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey tanmay,
Thanks for providing more details. I particularly find your internship story very interesting. I kind of had an intuition that you were under-selling it in your original question -and I am glad that you provided me with more details as I feel that this can be showcased very strongly in the application. This Reminds me of a client who thought he had a weak work ex, but we managed to create a strong story around his work ex that was instrumental in getting him admits to HEC, Duke, and Cornell - That too with scholarships. ( You can read more about his case here: https://www.mim-essay.com/client-stories-3/). In your case too, I feel that the story around your work ex has a lot of potentials so make sure that you are brainstorming and strategizing properly to showcase the same in your application.

Stick to your target of getting a 700+ on your GMAT and let me know how that goes. However, you need not think that with below 700 scores you cannot join a good school - We have had clients who got into schools like LBS, Michigan with scores of 640 as well. However the selection depends upon the overall profile and application and is subjective, so yes aim to score as high as you can on your GMAT.
It is great that you are taking up courses - but I would suggest you expand your horizons a bit. Schools will be more interested in how you used the learning from the courses undertaken - So look into publishing papers and getting a related internship.

Good job on getting positive feedback from INSEAD :) But a gentle reminder that Tier-1 dream schools will attract great profiles across the globe, so continue on building your profile and working to create your strongest possible application.

In case you need my help, you can check out my all-in-one mentoring service here: https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abhyank wrote:
Hey tanmay,
Thanks for providing more details. I particularly find your internship story very interesting. I kind of had an intuition that you were under-selling it in your original question -and I am glad that you provided me with more details as I feel that this can be showcased very strongly in the application. This Reminds me of a client who thought he had a weak work ex, but we managed to create a strong story around his work ex that was instrumental in getting him admits to HEC, Duke, and Cornell - That too with scholarships. ( You can read more about his case here: https://www.mim-essay.com/client-stories-3/). In your case too, I feel that the story around your work ex has a lot of potentials so make sure that you are brainstorming and strategizing properly to showcase the same in your application.

Stick to your target of getting a 700+ on your GMAT and let me know how that goes. However, you need not think that with below 700 scores you cannot join a good school - We have had clients who got into schools like LBS, Michigan with scores of 640 as well. However the selection depends upon the overall profile and application and is subjective, so yes aim to score as high as you can on your GMAT.
It is great that you are taking up courses - but I would suggest you expand your horizons a bit. Schools will be more interested in how you used the learning from the courses undertaken - So look into publishing papers and getting a related internship.

Good job on getting positive feedback from INSEAD :) But a gentle reminder that Tier-1 dream schools will attract great profiles across the globe, so continue on building your profile and working to create your strongest possible application.

In case you need my help, you can check out my all-in-one mentoring service here: https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Good Luck!

Thanks again Abhyank! And yeah I will definitely take suggestions from you or mim-eassay. And yeah now I am volunteering at UN in which I am teaching underprivileged children and as you said I am trying to get something out of those courses I have done, I am helping one of my friends in his start-up, which is actually not registered company right now due to some reasons, but I can describe how I am giving some good marketing kick-start to his company with small but valuable things like logo, business card design, tagline, company name, and other psychological things related to marketing. It is basically a civil engineering designing company.

So, I really appreciate your valuable time and information once again. Your guidance is worth gold.
Thanks

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanmaysaxena97 wrote:
Abhyank wrote:
Hey tanmay,

Good Luck!

Thanks again Abhyank! And yeah I will definitely take suggestions from you or mim-eassay. And yeah now I am volunteering at UN in which I am teaching underprivileged children and as you said I am trying to get something out of those courses I have done, I am helping one of my friends in his start-up, which is actually not registered company right now due to some reasons, but I can describe how I am giving some good marketing kick-start to his company with small but valuable things like logo, business card design, tagline, company name, and other psychological things related to marketing. It is basically a civil engineering designing company.

So, I really appreciate your valuable time and information once again. Your guidance is worth gold.
Thanks

Thanks for the kind words Tanmaysaxena97, happy to help :)
I run a very active Facebook group as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/268376350245100/
You would meet a lot of like minded applicants, so do join if you have not already.
Secondly, if you are planning to apply this year - I am conducting a special priority program for the people applying this year, so in case you are interested you can request an invite via this form :https://www.facebook.com/groups/268376350245100/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hello,
I am from India and plan to apply to the Masters in Management program at top European schools such as HEC, ESSEC, LBS, ESCP, INSEAD, etc. I have started my application for ESSEC and would like to know my chances of getting an interview invitation from these schools. My profile is as follows:
1) Undergrad - Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering(B.Tech) - 8.8/10 CGPA - No gaps/ dead backlogs
2) GMAT Score - 720 (Q-49,V38,IR6,AWA5)
3) Extra-Curricular/Volunteer Activities:
1) An active member at the Entrepreneurship Development Cell of my college. Worked as a volunteer, Corporate relations coordinator, Club President, and
special advisor over the years.
2) Part-time Job with Red Bull in the marketing department as a Student Brand Manager
3) Charter member and the youngest member of the board of directors at a Rotaract Club. An active member for more than 3 years now and worked as a Volunteer, Club Service Director, and Community Service Director.
4) Lead guitarist for the departmental band, securing runners-up position in the annual inter-departmental competition at college.
5) District level table tennis player and the vice-captain for my college team
6) Active member and volunteer at 'Swachh Bharat', Nation-wide cleanliness drive.
4) Internships:
1) Academic internship at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in the process tech. dept (3 months)
2) Summer Intern at a startup called Devise Electronics (1.5 months)
3) Summer Intern at a Yamaha dealership (2 months) and worked in the Sales, Service, and Inventory management departments.
5) Languages: English, Hindi, Marathi, German(basic proficiency)
6) Online Courses:
1) Python for Everybody specialization by University of Michigan - 5 courses
2) Leadership through social influence course by University of Michigan
3) Finance for nonfinancial professionals by University of Californie Irvine
4) Financial Markets course by Yale SOM.

Kindly provide me tips to strengthen my application. Is it useful to give IELTS/TOEFL since the requirement is waived in most of the colleges if the previous medium of education was completely in English? Will taking such a test strengthen my application?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
For the LBS MiM program you will be able to get in for sure if you score above 110 on TOEFL.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GRE 1: Q163 V153
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,
Would be extremely grateful to have my profile reviewed here, targeting 21' intake for MIM programs at ESSEC, ESCP, ESADE, HEC Paris, EDHEC (ESSEC would be my 1st choice)

My profile is as follows -

Indian IT Engineer, 23 Yrs Old

B.Tech in Computer Science from UPES, specialization in Business Analytics (IBM Certified Graduate) (Ranked quite low in NIRF Engineering Rankings though - 167/200)
Overall GPA - 6.6/10 (Low gpa but did go from a 5.0 to an 8.0 by final year of the course)

GRE - 316 (V- 153, Q- 163), Planning to take it again, will be applying in R1 to all.

Work Ex - Working with an IT Service based company (L&T Infotech) in release management domain for a top banking client in the US for over a year now, will have about 16 months of work ex at the time of applying.

Leadership Experiences -

A number of experiences here -

1) Editorial Head for a year in college, led a team of 8 members. Was also on the Editorial board of several other college level organizations.
2) Team Lead at AIESEC, Worked in Sales, Marketing. Led a team of 10.
3) Have been involved with various NGO's from School till end of college as volunteer and part of HR Committee (NSS,
GYG, Feeding India) (about 4 yrs in total)
4) Flagship Event Head in University Cultural Fest (Twice, led a team of 15, Event Management, Marketing, Sales)
5) Gold Medal in State Volleyball (10th Grade), Made it to nationals in 12th grade in Rifle Shooting but didn't win, only participation.

Internships -

1. Main Internship at an MBB Firm (Back Office, technical, Business Intelligence)
2. Marketing & IT Intern at a 5 star Luxury Hotel Chain (3 weeks) (Mostly Graphic Design, content creation and marketing analytics)
3. Android Trainee at a small IT company (MNC)

Experiences -

Worked as a freelance content writer for some time, eventually outsourced the work as I made some regular and well paying clients while taking care of editing. Short-lived since the website we used for bids (think iwriter etc) eventually went bankrupt and closed shop.

Working part time with a local fashion brand (digital marketing) (super small, just starting out)

International Experience - Don't know if it counts but visited 9 countries in Europe as a part of a trip in high school.

Post Masters Goal - Want to work in a Product Marketing in a Tech Firm.

Hobbies - Very involved in Photography and writing, instagram blogging.

Thanks in Advance!

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dj1797 wrote:
Hi All,
Would be extremely grateful to have my profile reviewed here, targeting 21' intake for MIM programs at ESSEC, ESCP, ESADE, HEC Paris, EDHEC (ESSEC would be my 1st choice)

My profile is as follows -

Indian IT Engineer, 23 Yrs Old

B.Tech in Computer Science from UPES, specialization in Business Analytics (IBM Certified Graduate) (Ranked quite low in NIRF Engineering Rankings though - 167/200)
Overall GPA - 6.6/10 (Low gpa but did go from a 5.0 to an 8.0 by final year of the course)

GRE - 316 (V- 153, Q- 163), Planning to take it again, will be applying in R1 to all.

Work Ex - Working with an IT Service based company (L&T Infotech) in release management domain for a top banking client in the US for over a year now, will have about 16 months of work ex at the time of applying.

Leadership Experiences -

A number of experiences here -

1) Editorial Head for a year in college, led a team of 8 members. Was also on the Editorial board of several other college level organizations.
2) Team Lead at AIESEC, Worked in Sales, Marketing. Led a team of 10.
3) Have been involved with various NGO's from School till end of college as volunteer and part of HR Committee (NSS,
GYG, Feeding India) (about 4 yrs in total)
4) Flagship Event Head in University Cultural Fest (Twice, led a team of 15, Event Management, Marketing, Sales)
5) Gold Medal in State Volleyball (10th Grade), Made it to nationals in 12th grade in Rifle Shooting but didn't win, only participation.

Internships -

1. Main Internship at an MBB Firm (Back Office, technical, Business Intelligence)
2. Marketing & IT Intern at a 5 star Luxury Hotel Chain (3 weeks) (Mostly Graphic Design, content creation and marketing analytics)
3. Android Trainee at a small IT company (MNC)

Experiences -

Worked as a freelance content writer for some time, eventually outsourced the work as I made some regular and well paying clients while taking care of editing. Short-lived since the website we used for bids (think iwriter etc) eventually went bankrupt and closed shop.

Working part time with a local fashion brand (digital marketing) (super small, just starting out)

International Experience - Don't know if it counts but visited 9 countries in Europe as a part of a trip in high school.

Post Masters Goal - Want to work in a Product Marketing in a Tech Firm.

Hobbies - Very involved in Photography and writing, instagram blogging.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi dj1797,

Well, your GPA is a bit on the lower side and as you don’t have a college brand name in the undergraduate it can be an issue. Your GRE score is again a bit low especially if you are targeting schools such as HEC, ESSEC, and ESCP. Though you have better Admit chances at EDHEC and ESADE. But, I would strongly suggest you retake the GRE.

As for the work experience, L&T Infotech is a good brand but it is an IT company so make sure that you highlight the key projects and skills that you develop during your time.
Also, you have varied internships under your belt which can be an asset to your profile. Your other experiences such as content writing and digital marketing are concerned, will help you showcase your marketing skills. So, a pretty strong pitch can be made for consulting and marketing if you work on the above points.

Remember that you have to convince the Adcom that you are different from your peers.

On the extracurricular front, you have a pretty diverse profile, have held leadership roles, and taken social initiatives that matter a lot. Try to highlight how you have gone above and beyond and made a difference in the same.

Your international experience will definitely help you given that you talk about your observations there and how these trips helped you become a better person than you are today.

As a final verdict, I would say that you have worked on varied things and have a pretty diverse profile overall, but work needs to be done on your GRE score and portrayed your profile not just as an engineer working in an IT role but have the capability to work on the myriad of other activities and have created value.

Further, if you are seeking help in building an application that can assure your chances of admission, you can check out our All-in-One-Service via the link below:
https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one
We have helped 65+ students get into ESSEC and 55+ in ESCP. I am sure this would be pretty helpful for you as well.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
This thread is locked. Please post your profile evaluation requests in the following threads...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts