Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [102]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [43]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [16]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to [#permalink]
Kudos
Although, i got this one wrong but this was not a very difficult question if one could catch the OM thing pointed out by gmatisnothard.

That was a good point.
I had chosen E --> Being is not always wrong on GMAT, but here it definitely is.

OA has to be from C/D..

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to [#permalink]
Kudos
noboru wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I'll go with C

why?

at first glance E seems to be the correct answer but if you read the sentence carefully you will find, being is not correct as it is modifying the George and not the Youth Canorous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
jn.mohit wrote:
noboru wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I'll go with C

why?

at first glance E seems to be the correct answer but if you read the sentence carefully you will find, being is not correct as it is modifying the George and not the Youth Canorous.

Though I agree with you that E seems to be modifying George and NOT the Youth Caorous, isn't choice C wordy?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
Though I agree with you that E seems to be modifying George and NOT the Youth Caorous, isn't choice C wordy?

I agree with you.
D seems to mean the same as C, but less wordy. However, OA is C...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, it is C

A, B, and c make the first clause (...the only candidate...) a modifier which modifies "the Youth Canorous". The moidfier should modifer George, not the Youth Canorous.

D is not a correct idiom..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [0]
Send PM
A, B and E are out as the modifiers seem to be incorrectly modifying YC.

D is wrong as the correct idiom is 'seem to be'

C it is.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 C

Once I read that only you can use "being" in GMAT when you can replace it with the phrase "in the process of being". Otherwise, being is wrong.

I think I deserve kudos ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
hazelnut , generis

Why can't C and D modify "the youth canorous" ?? Still not clear on this
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatisnothard wrote:
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to its membership, the Youth Canorous finally endorsed Gorge for city council.
A) Appearing to be
B) Seeming to be
C) Because he appeared to be
D) Because he seemed
E) Being

Prateek176 wrote:
hazelnut , generis

Why can't C and D modify "the youth canorous" ?? Still not clear on this

Prateek176 - the issue comes down to the pronouns he and its. We have to reason backwards a bit.

That is, from the non-underlined part of the sentence we know that Gorge is the political candidate. Gorge cannot be an it.

We also have the pronoun "its," which needs a referent. That referent cannot be the Gorge the human candidate. The Youth Canorous is the only other possibile referent for "its."

Its as a possessive pronoun implies it as a personal pronoun. The Y.C. is the "it."

C and D contain the personal pronoun "he."

In addition, from context, the Youth Canorous is almost certainly a group.

How do we know that THE Youth Canorous is a group (or organization or the like)?

First, the word "the" indicates the title of a group or organization, not a proper name of a person. In English, proper names of average persons do not contain the word "the" (stage names such as Chance The Rapper or The Notorious B.I.G. don't count as proper names).

There are names such as "the Chairperson," or "the Pope." But we have only two contenders that are referents for the pronouns. One of them, Gorge, is a person running for political office. That person is a he.

The other noun has a name that is not known as a person.

Second, elaborating on the analysis above, the possessive pronoun "its" MUST refer to some noun, and cannot refer to the human political candidate Gorge. "Its" must refer to the Youth Canorous, which is therefore an "it," not a "he" per C and D.

Third, "membership" is a cue that the Youth Canorous is a group. That is, "acceptable to its membership" means "acceptable to the members of _____." People cannot be members of a "he." :)

Sometimes rearranging the sentence helps.

The Youth Canorous finally endorsed GORGE for city council . . . ___ seemed or appeared to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to ITS membership.

In the part of the original sentence that is not underlined, Gorge is the candidate who gets endorsed. A candidate cannot be an "it."

In addition, we have "its" membership. Its implies it and both can go only with the remaining pertinent noun: the Y.C. "Its" turns out to be the strongest reason that the Y.C. cannot be a "he" per C and D.

I wonder whether unfamiliar names confused you? As you can see from the stats, this question is hard. (The referent "Gorge" is far away from the pronoun AND the pronoun precedes the noun. Those two qualities are both okay in SC, but they make sentence correction more difficult.)

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
VeritasKarishma , egmat , AjiteshArun

I am still having difficulty eliminating D. Can anybody please help me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Appearing to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to [#permalink]
Kudos
Could someone advise if this strategy can be used to id the correct answers, especially in cases where the sentence opens with a because or similar.
In this question I'm dividing the sentence into:
Situation, Decision.
Therefore I came to the answer C as this made more sense:
Certain decision was made because of the Situation:
"The Youth Canorous finally endorsed Gorge for city council because he appeared to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to its membership."
This logically completes the sentence for the reader IMO, hence- C is the most sensible and satisfies the pronoun reference.

Please do advise whether this is a valid strategy or not.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
taniad wrote:
Could someone advise if this strategy can be used to id the correct answers, especially in cases where the sentence opens with a because or similar.
In this question I'm dividing the sentence into:
Situation, Decision.
Therefore I came to the answer C as this made more sense:
Certain decision was made because of the Situation:
"The Youth Canorous finally endorsed Gorge for city council because he appeared to be the only candidate whose views would be acceptable to its membership."
This logically completes the sentence for the reader IMO, hence- C is the most sensible and satisfies the pronoun reference.

Please do advise whether this is a valid strategy or not.

taniad - if I had to recommend a strategy, this one would be it.

FLIP the order of the sentence just as you did so that causation is clear.

Pronouns are both seductive and problematic. The real problem that they pose is connected to logical meaning, as you discerned.

I thought that I posted exactly this approach because I believed that answers had been too focused on grammar and parts of speech, but it appears that I forgot to hit "submit" quite a while ago.

Most people have learned about parts of speech and grammar and pronouns thoroughly enough that . . . if a convoluted sentence is inverted, the answer almost certainly will become more clear and maybe even immediately apparent.

Perfectly done. +1
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [13]
Send PM
Kudos