Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [10]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31909 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [1]
Send PM
The square ACEG shown below has an area of 36 units squared. What is t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
fskilnik wrote:

The square ACEG shown below (in the image attached) has an area of 36 units squared. What is the value of x that maximizes the area of the polygon ABDFG?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

Source: https://www.GMATH.net

\(?\,\,:\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\max \,\,S\left( {ABDFG} \right)\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\min \,\,\,\left[ {S\left( {\Delta {\text{BCD}}} \right) + S\left( {\Delta DEF} \right)} \right]\)

\(S\left( {\Delta {\text{BCD}}} \right) + S\left( {\Delta DEF} \right) = \frac{{{x^2}}}{2} + \frac{{{{\left( {6 - x} \right)}^2}}}{2} = \frac{{2{x^2} - 12x + 36}}{2} = {x^2} - 6x + 18\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\min \,\,{x^2} - 6x + 18\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = x = {x_{vert}} = - \frac{b}{{2a}} = - \frac{{ - 6}}{2} = 3\)

Almost no lines, almost no arguments, almost no effort were needed here. Just the old and powerful good math.

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35487 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The square ACEG shown below has an area of 36 units squared. What is t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
fskilnik wrote:
The square ACEG shown below (in the image attached) has an area of 36 units squared. What is the value of x that maximizes the area of the polygon ABDFG?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

Great question. +1
Attachment:
GMATH_figure0271edit.jpg
GMATH_figure0271edit.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 2732 times ]

I used symmetry first.
I doodled for a few seconds and changed what would be ∆ BDF into an isosceles right triangle.

Testing numbers works, too.

Symmetry
• If a perimeter is fixed, the area of a polygon is maximized when it is most symmetrical.

The most symmetrical rectangle also has the greatest area: a square
The most symmetrical triangle also has the greatest area: an equilateral triangle
A convex regular polygon has both the most symmetry and the greatest area

• Make the figure a pentagon that has one line of symmetry
Its "roof" consists of two congruent isosceles right triangles
Its rectangle consists of two squares with side length \(s=3\)

• \(x = (6 - x)\) (from the diagram)
The "height" of the outer square has length of 6.
The symmetric right isosceles triangles must split that length equally.
So
\(x = 6-x\)
\(2x=6\)
\(x=3\)

Test numbers

•If \(x=4\), then ∆ BDH with legs of length 4 has area,
\(A=\frac{s^2}{2}=\frac{4^2}{2}=8\)
∆ DFH with legs of length 2 has area, \(A=\frac{2^2}{2}=2\)
Combined area of right triangles: \((8+2)=10\)
Area of polygon: (area of square) - (area of triangles)
Area of polygon: \((36-10)=26\)

•Try \(x=3\)
Combined area of the two right triangles BDH and DFH,
\(A=(2*\frac{3^2}{2})=9\)
(Area of square) - (area of triangles) =
Area of polygon: \((36-9)=27\)

That is the maximum area.

•If we use \(x=5\), ∆ BDH alone will have area \(\frac{25}{2}=12.5\), and
Polygon area will = \((36-12.5)=23.5\)

The farther apart that \(x\) gets from \((6-x)\),
the more that the area of the polygon ABDFG decreases.

The area of the polygon is maximized when
\(x=3\)

Answer
Attachments

GMATH_figure0271edit.jpg
GMATH_figure0271edit.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 2556 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [1]
Send PM
Re: The square ACEG shown below has an area of 36 units squared. What is t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
generis wrote:
Great question. +1
I used symmetry first.
I doodled for a few seconds and changed what would be ∆ BDF into an isosceles right triangle.
Testing numbers works, too.

Hi, generis!
Thank you for the kudos and for your nice contributions!
Regards,
Fabio.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
fskilnik wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

Attachment:
GMATH_figure0271.gif

here is my train of thoughts :)

if area is 36 then side is 6

looking at the figure, x definately cant be four or five. it looks like the length of x is 2. (i thought to myself) but since it is GMAT question i clicked on C :lol:

that is my approach :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: The square ACEG shown below has an area of 36 units squared. What is t [#permalink]
fskilnik wrote:
fskilnik wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

\(?\,\,:\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\max \,\,S\left( {ABDFG} \right)\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\min \,\,\,\left[ {S\left( {\Delta {\text{BCD}}} \right) + S\left( {\Delta DEF} \right)} \right]\)

\(S\left( {\Delta {\text{BCD}}} \right) + S\left( {\Delta DEF} \right) = \frac{{{x^2}}}{2} + \frac{{{{\left( {6 - x} \right)}^2}}}{2} = \frac{{2{x^2} - 12x + 36}}{2} = {x^2} - 6x + 18\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,x\,\,{\text{to}}\,\,\min \,\,{x^2} - 6x + 18\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = x = {x_{vert}} = - \frac{b}{{2a}} = - \frac{{ - 6}}{2} = 3\)

Almost no lines, almost no arguments, almost no effort were needed here. Just the old and powerful good math.

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.

i liked this line: :) :grin:

"Almost no lines, almost no arguments, almost no effort were needed here" :lol: Figuratively sounds like a nice slogan in the marketing campaign for selling everything in the 21st century :lol:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
i liked this line: :) :grin:

"Almost no lines, almost no arguments, almost no effort were needed here" :lol: Figuratively sounds like a nice slogan in the marketing campaign for selling everything in the 21st century :lol:

Hi, Dave13!

I totally agree... to be honest (as usual), I know (and I am happy to say) it takes time, effort, dedication and good guidance to learn anything deeply and, as a sub-product, to find quick and powerful solutions "easily" and "instantaneously".
The sentence: "Seriousness and discipline for hard work ARE prerequisites, tough." is in the FAQ present in the homepage of my website, by the way.
Thank you for your contributions!

Regards,
Fabio.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
fskilnik wrote:

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

Attachment:
GMATH_figure0271.gif

­It is question where one needs to change the value of x within some limits(here 0 < x < 6) such that some condition is fulfilled(max area ABDFG). Thus, DF too changes. If we apply the logic wherein in a circle the the max area of a rectangle is that of a square then here too the value of x should be equal to DF. So, we can simply make a hypothetical rectangle(square eventually) BDFH where H is at AG such that BD = HF and DF = HA. 

This rectangle BDFH would have max area only if its vertices are at the mid point of the sides of square ACEG. 
Hence, 
x = 3.

Answer C.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts