Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618653 [4]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1352 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if AB is parallel to DE and DE = 2, what is the [#permalink]
We have got one pair of parallel sides and one common point C. Therefore the triangles should be similar and the sides will have the same ratio.
Statement 1 alone is insufficient as it only gives us the ratio between BE and BC.
Statement 2 alone is insufficient as we can calculate DC but nothing about BC.
Combining the two statements, we can calculate the value of BC and hence the overall perimeter of DEC. Hence Option C is the correct answer.

Please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if AB is parallel to DE and DE = 2, what is the [#permalink]
nithinjohn wrote:
We have got one pair of parallel sides and one common point C. Therefore the triangles should be similar and the sides will have the same ratio.
Statement 1 alone is insufficient as it only gives us the ratio between BE and BC.
Combining the two statements, we can calculate the value of BC and hence the overall perimeter of DEC. Hence Option C is the correct answer.

Hi,
As the position of D and E is unknown ,therefore, we can't say that triangles are similar and ratio of sides are equal .
Hence measure of side BC can't be determined

Hence ans (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GPA: 3.12
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
PKN wrote:
nithinjohn wrote:

Hi,
As the position of D and E is unknown ,therefore, we can't say that triangles are similar and ratio of sides are equal .

Hence ans (E)

PKN-
It is given that AB is parallel to DE, so Angle BAC=Angle EDC & Angle ABC = Angle DEC also Angle DCE is common in both the triangles. So Triangle ABC should be similar to Triangle DEC by AAA similarity rule. Please correct if i am wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In the figure above, if AB is parallel to DE and DE = 2, what is the [#permalink]
AnupamKT wrote:
PKN wrote:
nithinjohn wrote:

Hi,

Hence ans (E)

PKN-
It is given that AB is parallel to DE, so Angle BAC=Angle EDC & Angle ABC = Angle DEC also Angle DCE is common in both the triangles. So Triangle ABC should be similar to Triangle DEC by AAA similarity rule. Please correct if i am wrong.

Yes ,your reasoning is absolutely correct.

But what do you want to justify?

I'm not sure, in case u want to say we can determine perimeter by combing both statements using the triangle similarity property (ratio of sides are equal) then scale factor would play a vital role.Scale factor is not unique.Therefore,the sides of the triangle are not unique.Hence perimeter is not unique.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, if AB is parallel to DE and DE = 2, what is the perimeter of triangle DEC?

(1) BE is 5/7 of BC
(2) AC = 13 and AB = 7

Attachment:
image014.jpg

So this is my approach:

DE is given to us as 2.
Statement 1: BE is 5/7 of BC. Great. We have the ratio of sides and eventually the ~ triangles. Triangles are similar because 2 sides are parallel. One should be able to spot that. Apart from that you cannot find anything else.

Statement 2: AC is 13 and AB is 7. Firstly, I really don't need AB. So let's just ignore that. AC is 13. So we can split that in 2:5 ratio and find the sides Great. But what about BC? Is the triangle equilateral? Is it isosceles? I don't think so and we have no information to deduce that. So clearly not sufficient.

Combined, Well, doesn't really help.

IMO E.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts