Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
maharaj15 wrote:
Hi, thank you for taking the time. Looking forward to your responses.

23 years old. Indian citizen. Male
Born & raised in Hyderabad. Visited ISB campus in Hyderabad multiple times. Hope to use these to my advantage for ISB

Work Exp:
1 year (currently employed) - Real Estate & Construction company. Promoted within 9 months. Work in commercial land development and sales (Location - India, with client meetings in Dubai & USA)
14 months- Structured Finance. My focus was on construction material & coal (Location - India)
3 months - graduate internship in Investment Banking Advisory (M&A) in the Energy & Infrastructure team (Location - India)
2 real estate internships (both in the residential sector) during university summer vacations

Academics:
2013 - 2016: B.Eng. (with Honors) Aerospace Engineering from a tier-1 London university (think UCL, Queen Mary, Imperial, King's etc.). CGPA - 2:2≈ 2.5-3.0. Won scholarships. Convinced my supervisor to allow me to write my dissertation on Corporate Growth Strategy (1st class grade)
Online courses in Finance, Real Estate, & Strategy from top-universities (Wharton, HEC Paris, Yale etc.)
11th & 12th - 87%
10th - 84%

Extra-curriculars:
- Boxing (won competitions), Submissions Wrestling, Power lifting, Cooking, Painting, Poetry, Travel (30+ countries since 2013)
- After graduating: Volunteer work at an NGO
- During bachelors: management roles in the university's real estate & economics societies, represented university in boxing, volunteered at an NGO
- During school: taught English at a local government school

GRE:
preparing (target - 320 minimum)

Career Goals:
Short term - Management Consulting in Real Estate & Infrastructure group in one of the MBB firms. To create a stronger network, & develop valuation skills
Long term - Build a real estate conglomerate focused on commercial development, with assets in all the major developing economies (another big reason for targeting ISB)

(all information is as of Sep 2018)

Hi Maharaj ji,
1. Short term goals in MBB - real estate and infra seems like a long shot. If you are planning to apply this year, you hardly have much experience in this field to justify the goal. Moreover, MBBs will hire you for a generalist position and it will take you a while to get absorbed by a vertical.
2. long term goal- a real estate conglomerate is a capital intensive business. You could ofcourse have the capital to start this, but just something that I am pointing out for you to evaluate the feasibility. Also, don't see much of a connection between the short and the long term goals.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi All,

Please review my profile for ISB:

Academic Background:
1. Bachelor of Technology in IT from VIT university Vellore - 9.03/10 cgpa and among top 20 in batch
2. Class XII - 91%
3. Class X - 87%

GMAT Score - 720

Work Experience - Senior Business Analyst at Ford Motor Company (IT)- 5 years 3 months
1. Responsible for end to end delivery of product
2. Led a team of 8 members
3. Travelled to USA for business works - short trips
4. Organised various events in Ford and get recognised from Senior management for the same.
5. Organised Corporate Social initiatives events by working with different NGOs

6 months social service work experience with one NGO in Delhi

Hobbies - Paintings and food blogging

Please evaluate my profile and provide your inputs.

Thank you all for your help and support
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: ISB '20 (A$)
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Pls include your short term and long term goals as well and why you need an MBA at this point.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello ksapna

While the outline of your profile is good (i.e. GMAT, past grades, Brand on the CV), vital 'qualitative' details are missing and these are what will actually get you an admission.
These are your career progress, achievements at work, impact in extracurricular activities, and most importantly clear career goals. You may read here to know what factors to highlight in your written application and here on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ksapna wrote:
Hi All,

Please review my profile for ISB:

Academic Background:
1. Bachelor of Technology in IT from VIT university Vellore - 9.03/10 cgpa and among top 20 in batch
2. Class XII - 91%
3. Class X - 87%

GMAT Score - 720

Work Experience - Senior Business Analyst at Ford Motor Company (IT)- 5 years 3 months
1. Responsible for end to end delivery of product
2. Led a team of 8 members
3. Travelled to USA for business works - short trips
4. Organised various events in Ford and get recognised from Senior management for the same.
5. Organised Corporate Social initiatives events by working with different NGOs

6 months social service work experience with one NGO in Delhi

Hobbies - Paintings and food blogging

Please evaluate my profile and provide your inputs.

Thank you all for your help and support
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V28
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
BruceWayneBatman wrote:
akhigandhi wrote:
Dear all,
Please help me gauge my chances of selection at ISB 2016 round of admissions.

Personal profile : Dr. Akhilesh Gandhi, 26 years, male, Indian

Academic backround :
10th from CBSE, India : 85%
12th from Maharashtra State board in PCB : 76%
MBBS from Indira Gandhi Government Medical college, Nagpur : from 2007 to 2013
MBBS average Percentage : 64%(1840/2850 marks)
GMAT : Total score : 680 (Q48 V35 AWA 4.5 and IR 3)
Passed UK professional exam PLAB part 1 and 2 in first attempt

Professional background:
Internship : 12 months : Feb. 2012 to March 2013 in JJ Government hospital and Cama Hospital, Mumbai
Resident medical officer of Oncosurgery: 10 months; from Apr. 2013 to Feb 2014, Central India Cancer Research Institute, Nagpur
Clinical Trust Fellow in Trauma and Orthopedic surgery in London deanery NHS Hospital : 16 months (Current Job)
Resident medical Officer in Ramsay group of hospitals, UK : 4 months
Currently living and working in UK

Total Work experience: 30 months (as on march 2016)

Extra- Curriculars:
Chess: 2 time National chess championship qualifier and one time National bronze medallist in under 19 category. University level gold medallist.
Athletics : state level athlete in 800m 1500m and 4x400m relay.
Social service: Worked in NACO's AIDS awareness campaigns, Worked with Rotary's drive for Leprosy care, Organized Cataract surgical camps in rural parts.
Research work: Got student research paper in field of microbiology selected and awarded at national level by Indian Council of Medical Research(ICMR)

Future plan post MBA: Want to build a start-up to provide healthcare services for patients with TB and other Chronic ilnesses like Diabetes etc.

Please help me understand my strengths and weaknesses for the application and odds for selection.

bhai ho jaygea.......tension mat le.... u are a mbbs doctor man u r diversity for them i think u'll definitely get an interview call with ur strong acads and extra curricular.... i am indian IT male with 720.... hamara bhi kisi college me karva do....
Feels!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V28
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello
Profile evaluation needed please
Chemical Engineer from Pune University currently working with Reliance Industries Limited
X-91 %
XII-89 %
Graduation - 66 %
I graduated as a chemical engineer from Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune. 6 months In I started working in one of the oldest and prestigious Fertiliser Plant owned by Jaypee Group, in ammonia manufacturing.
I started out as GET and rose my way up to Shift manager. My profile was of operation control, i mostly worked in a highly advanced control room, Work usually involed and later grew to process control, coordinating various teams for successful startup and shutdown of plants, planning work permits, manpower allocation,

After my stint at Jaypee fertilizers, i have recently Joined reliance, jamnagar supersite, in commissioning of the world's largest Gasification system. I am working here as Manager, operations. In a jist manpower management, job allocation, Job planning and Execution, Resource mobilization are a few things in my KRA.

Apart from this during my college years the was director, media relations in the leo club(a social club affiliated to Lions International) , which mainly involved us in visits to underprivileged children (education program), eye checkup Camps, visits to old age homes, deaf and mute schools, handicapped homes, member of organizing team of Maharashtra's biggest basketball event fireball for 4 years.
Apart from that i once volunteered in teaching underprivileged kids while i was at home after graduation looking for a job.
I like to photograph and have acquired a decent portfolio, although not a professional, i am a member of Reliance Greens Photography club.

In my previous Gmat attempt I could Only score 580 (q45 v28)
4.5 years of experience in Technical operations and administration. I want to now expand my career into general management, strategic planning in techno commercial business.
1. What Do i need to put in more to my profile?
2. Where do i stand currently given the demographic.?

Thanks in advance
Umang

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
youmanjee wrote:
Hello
Profile evaluation needed please
Chemical Engineer from Pune University currently working with Reliance Industries Limited
X-91 %
XII-89 %
Graduation - 66 %
I graduated as a chemical engineer from Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune. 6 months In I started working in one of the oldest and prestigious Fertiliser Plant owned by Jaypee Group, in ammonia manufacturing.
I started out as GET and rose my way up to Shift manager. My profile was of operation control, i mostly worked in a highly advanced control room, Work usually involed and later grew to process control, coordinating various teams for successful startup and shutdown of plants, planning work permits, manpower allocation,

After my stint at Jaypee fertilizers, i have recently Joined reliance, jamnagar supersite, in commissioning of the world's largest Gasification system. I am working here as Manager, operations. In a jist manpower management, job allocation, Job planning and Execution, Resource mobilization are a few things in my KRA.

Apart from this during my college years the was director, media relations in the leo club(a social club affiliated to Lions International) , which mainly involved us in visits to underprivileged children (education program), eye checkup Camps, visits to old age homes, deaf and mute schools, handicapped homes, member of organizing team of Maharashtra's biggest basketball event fireball for 4 years.
Apart from that i once volunteered in teaching underprivileged kids while i was at home after graduation looking for a job.
I like to photograph and have acquired a decent portfolio, although not a professional, i am a member of Reliance Greens Photography club.

In my previous Gmat attempt I could Only score 580 (q45 v28)
4.5 years of experience in Technical operations and administration. I want to now expand my career into general management, strategic planning in techno commercial business.
1. What Do i need to put in more to my profile?
2. Where do i stand currently given the demographic.?

Thanks in advance
Umang

HI Umang,

Your profile looks good overall.
Your application should focus upon leadership examples as well as your learnings over the past years. Your goals, ofcourse will need further refining and more precision. A well crafted application, with these in mind will help to differentiate you from your direct competition. And yes, there are applicants with experience similar to yours.

In terms of your profile enhancement before ISB's 15th December deadline, it will be your GMAT score- bring that up to a 710+.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
raghavshekhar wrote:
Hi,

Planning to apply for Round 2. Haven't given mock yet, aiming for 700-720.

10th CBSE - 76 %
12th CBSE - 75.2 %

SRM University (B.tech - IT) - 7.34 GPA

Work Experience: 5+ years

1. Tata Consultancy Service (2.5 years)

- Development, Maintenance and Support on JAVA for an aviation client.
- Data Extraction using SQL/Postgres for monthly reporting on metrics.
- Managing learning and development of two trainees.
- Group Representative of 50 employees during training.
- Highest appraisal rating and Star of Performers group.
- JAVA & C certified. Trained in Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing.

2. Lawyered (2.5 years)

- Co-founded in 2015 after leaving TCS, Legal marketplace for startups and businesses.
- Got acquired by India Accelerator in April 2018.
- Worked on all aspects of business.
- Managed team of 10 directly under me.
- Notable metrics achieved multiple domains of Marketing and business development.
- Currently on Board of Advisors.

3. India Accelerator & Lawyered (6 months)

- Part time consultant on Fundraising, Technology and Marketing.

Co-Curricular:

- During College, founded an NGO (unregistered) which operated for 2 years. Managed team of 20 volunteers. Lots of newspaper mentions in newspaper coverage of activities.
- Started an online merchandise business which gave 20x return.
- Competitive gamer.

Haven't taken GMAT yet,

Scored a 640 in both GMAT Prep 1 and 690 in GMAT Prep 2.

Hi raghavshekhar,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

With you entrepreneurial experience, you definitely have a slightly differentiated profile. However, your chances would depend largely on how you present your differentiated experience as well as your career goals in your essays. Of course, it almost goes without saying that a score upwards of 720 is something you should really look at targetting.

We suggest you view the videos below to gain a better sense of how you may approach you ISB essays :)

All the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetanb707070 wrote:
Evaluate my profile for ISB.
Indian Male
Aiming for GMAT score of 650-700
Age - 27
10th - 82.67
12th - 85.5
Nagpur University B.E. - 65 % (2012)
Work expericene after B.E. - One of TATA Enterprise companies - 1 year (2012-13)
Aerospace Manufacturing and Operations Engineer.
Supervising production floor operations.
Managed a team of 8-10 Junior Engineers.
Daily operations and work plan executions.
Compliance to strict Aerospace quality standards.

Higher studies Preparation One year Gap (2013-2014)

M.tech Mechanical Engineering - from one of NIT - 8.98 (2014-16)
(published paper in a national journal)

Work Experience - Oct 2016 to present ( almost 2 years)
One of the leading IT companies in India
Engineering Support services
CAD/CAE projects and support.
Engineering systems testing and Engineering data management.
Got 1 promotion and best rating last year.
Assisting in project mangement and quality improvement initiatives.

Other Activities :
Played District level KHO-KHO in school.
NCC cadet during school time.
Actively participated in the College activities.

Hobbies include - Reading, Working out, following stock market, cooking

Desire and Expectations from ISB.
I am interested in below profiles post MBA.

1.Leadership programs offered by Aditya Birla Group, Bharti Airtel, HCL, HUL and Philips etc.
2.Energy management in any of oil/gas/petroleum/power business
3.Manufacturing and operations in leading product based companies.
4.Management consultancy companies which has opportunities in above industries.

Please reply with your valuable comments.

Hi chetanb707070,

Thanks for writing in.

The diversity in work experience, managerial potential, and fine academic GPA will definitely add value to your case. However, while it is good to see that you have put in some thought into your career goals, you will need to narrow it down to a single one.

Having said the above, you definitely need to target a score upwards of 700 to have a good chance at ISB. Anything lesser than that would be under the ISB average. Needless to say, how you lay out your profile in your essays will be crucial as well. We suggest that you view the video below for a better understanding of how you could approach your essays:

Good luck! :-)
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Send PM