Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Difficulty with Verbal prep (GMAT attempt in Nov 2018!) [#permalink]
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the gmat club verbal guide. Is that guide sufficient or should i refer to some other book as well?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Au15,

From your prior posts, you've been studying for about 1.5 months (starting back in early August). Can you go into a bit more detail about what you've been doing during that time?

1) What type of study routine have you been following? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying.

Here are the answers to your questions (same order has been followed):

1. Studied for about 5/6 hours a week. Started with veritas concept books and moved to OG for ques.. focused on SC, RC & quant.
2. Veritas, OG
3. I haven't taken a full lenght test yet but I do solve questions (in the form of quiz) often. I'm able to solve the easy level questions of the OG (OG 2019 specifies the level of each ques). All seemed well until I moved to the difficult ques.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Au15,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. For starters, since you have been studying for some time, it would be helpful to know your baseline GMAT score as well as your goal score. Could you please take an official GMAT practice exam and report back with your score breakdown? Once I have an idea of your verbal and quant scores, I can provide some more specific advice on how to proceed.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Au15,

Since you've been studying for some time, you really should take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test sometime soon (perhaps this weekend); you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your current strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Au15 wrote:
Hello!

I'm in a situation where I have completed the Veritas SC concept book but I'm still unable to solve the OG SC questions correctly.
This has been extremely demotivating for me, since out of Quant & Verbal, verbal was my stronger point. Can someone please guide me and direct me to a better plan/approach/study resource?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

Are you a non-native English speaker? When you say you aren't solving OG SC questions correctly - what do you mean by that? Are you doing questions from the beginning of the section, the middle, or the end, and how many of them are you getting right - less than half or more than half?

Either way, one easy recommendation is to work through the Manhattan Prep Foundations of GMAT Verbal book - it gives a gentler introduction to Sentence Correction than our Sentence Correction Strategy Guide, and I've had a lot of non-native English speaker students find it useful at the beginning of their studies (to get used to the grammar terms, etc. that are used in the SC book.)
GMAT Club Bot