Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake? [#permalink]
Kudos
Toveran wrote:
Thank you, AkshdeepS!

Also, thank you for the link (although the information provided there is not really up to date anymore, e.g. the 80th percentile rule).

"And you should worry about that much for IR score"

Sorry to ask again, but what do you mean by this? Should I worry or shouldn't I worry?

Thanks!!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

Sorry for the typo above. Actually I mean to say" you should not worry about IR that much as you have a great Q and V score. Though I am not an expert, but I have seen many threads in which experts says that IR is not that important as Q and V are.
So IR 4 would be suffice with 760.

Also, if you want to ask experts here is another thread : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-pa ... 6/?fl=menu

I hope some expert will reply you soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4555 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake? [#permalink]
Hi Toveran,

Congratulations on your fantastic score! Check the following post:

Except for INSEAD, no other school has a rule which says you need more than a IR 6.
So, unless you are applying to INSEAD, I would not bother too much about the IR score
and work on the applications.

If you are planning to apply in the current cycle, you are already late. If I were you, I
would focus on my applications. Alternatively, you could check with the schools you are
planning to apply if the IR score will be a problem.

Congrats on getting the GMAT out of the way and all the best for the application phase!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... l#p1994055

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT 760, IR only 4 - Retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Toveran,

First off, a 760/Q49 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 99th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is NOT necessary. From your post, you're planning to apply to some highly competitive Schools, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Toveran wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this question appeared many times already in this forum, but I would like to have an up to date assessment for my situation so here's my question:

Should I retake the GMAT with a current score of 760 Q49V44, but a poor IR 4?

My goal is to get into a Top European Business School (preferably UK). So do you think the poor IR score compromises my overall performance so much that I should retake it?

In the GMATprep exams (I did 4), I usually scored 750-770 overall, with IR ranking from 7-8. So the official IR score does not reflect my true skill.

Thanks!!
No, you don't have to take the GMAT again. Even INSEAD does not require a 6 or more (though they "recommend" it).

At the end of the day, however, only you will be able to answer this question. Are you comfortable going in with a 4 on IR, or is thinking about that score going to distract you down the line? I'm asking because just the fact that you've made a thread for this after seeing responses on similar threads means that you don't want to take any chances with your application.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
A 760 is too strong to consider a retake with IR 4.

For someone else with a weaker 800-scale score and IR 4 --depending on how competitive of a program one is applying to - we might recommend a retake, but not at 760.

That said, for anyone who wants practice on IR questions, you can see dozens of practice IR questions here:

https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -reasoning
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you guys for the replies. I've decided NOT to retake the GMAT.

Just another follow-up question:

Many schools state that if multiple GMAT scores are present on the official score report, they will consider the one with the highest score. So if I retake the GMAT and score, let's say 750 with IR 8, the BSchools will still consider the 760 score despite the low IR 4, right? If that's the case, then there is just another reason why one should not retake in my situation - the chances to score at least 760 again with much better IR aren't probably high enough to go for it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Toveran wrote:
Thank you guys for the replies. I've decided NOT to retake the GMAT.

Just another follow-up question:

Many schools state that if multiple GMAT scores are present on the official score report, they will consider the one with the highest score. So if I retake the GMAT and score, let's say 750 with IR 8, the BSchools will still consider the 760 score despite the low IR 4, right? If that's the case, then there is just another reason why one should not retake in my situation - the chances to score at least 760 again with much better IR aren't probably high enough to go for it.
Good call. There are a lot of other things that need your attention at this stage.

And yes, the upside is quite limited as far as your total score goes.
GMAT Club Bot