Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Indian/M/35, GMAT 780 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Samarth08,

Thank you for your post. I agree with MBA Karma that, although you will be on the far end of the spectrum, you can get admitted to an MBA program with 13 years of experience. Your essay should especially speak about your need for an MBA. Look at the positive of having 13 years of experience, and that is a wealth of knowledge you can share with your peer group. With years of experience, a number of awards and promotions, and an MBA, I do not foresee you having a difficult time being employed post MBA. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Samarth08 wrote:
Hello,

I am an IT consultant with over 13 years of experience in managing global businesses. I have worked at several levels starting from software engineer to project manager (currently). I handle $2 Million portfolio for my fortune 500 employer.

Basic Stats:

1) B.Tech (CSE) from India. Final year GPA - 8.3/10. Overall CGPA - 75% (first class, top 15% in batch)
2) 5 years work ex in India, 8 years in US (currently in US)
3) Won 20+ awards in my firm (absolutely everything available)
4) GMAT - 780
5) IELTS - 8.5

Why MBA?

Although I manage a big portfolio in my company (recruitment, budgeting, management, delivery etc.), I am part of technology practice which has very limited growth/upward movement. I want to move to a more functional level role where I could lead a practice/delivery unit (that oversees multiple projects across multiple geographies and clients) instead of managing an application at a client office.

In my firm, most of the senior management that handles the type of work I described above is part of Strategy practice. Unfortunately, even though I have had great success in my firm, they expect people to have done their MBA to handle such portfolios (possibly due to the nature of job that demands understanding of overall business). EMBA is out of question because my firm (and most solid ones out there) don't consider EMBA at same par as MBA and sufficient enough a credential to move a person's function (say from Technology to Strategy). I want to stay in the same industry but change my function from technology to strategy (but not pure strategy consulting per se) and EMBA will not help me achieve this. I would be happy to join a Product Management division in the same industry (and again, an EMBA will not cut it for me). Plus, I cannot afford the fee for EMBA (and neither my company will sponsor).

I know I don't have a strong chance but I do want to try my level best. I am not aspiring for H/S/W; I am realistic and I know what's possible and what is not. I am trying for Canadian schools as I would like to move from US to Canada (VISA reasons, stability in life, Toronto area for greater network, ability of my spouse to work etc.). I have shortlisted the following schools:

1) Rotman
2) Ivey
3) Schulich
4) Queens
5) HEC Montreal

Please tell me if I am going crazy with my plan. All type of feedback (including bashing me for being stupid to start MBA at 35) will be happily accepted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you so much all of you for your responses.

I just needed a little hope to stay alive. I am extremely motivated to take the next step. I might fail but then I wouldn't know unless I try :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Indian/M/35, GMAT 780 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Samarth08 wrote:
Hello,

Please tell me if I am going crazy with my plan. All type of feedback (including bashing me for being stupid to start MBA at 35) will be happily accepted.

As you mentioned in your second post you won't know unless you try!

Anyone who bases you, tell them, there's no one who cracks the GMAT like the way you did at 35 years.

Applicants' thoughts evolve as they reasearch deeper about the MBA. So let me just point you to some MBAs where you will be a better fit. Check out the Sloan Fellowship programs at : 1. LBS; 2. MIT Sloan; 3. Stanford (MSx). Also, check out iBear at USC Marshall. These are all one year, residential MBAs for senior executives. The high tuition could be a deterrent at the first 3, but iBear may still fit the bill
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Samarth,

You might be a better fit for executive programs. (because of your experience level) And there you should be a great candidate. Several Canadian schools discourage older candidates from applying to regular MBA programs.

However, you are a senior manager, and you have demonstrated your potential for doing well at the corporate level. Given this, your candidature should be strong. Your GMAT is a great positive, as well.

Please feel free to get in touch using the "schedule a free profile evaluation call" link below if you want to discuss further.

Regards,
Karthik

Samarth08 wrote:
Hello,

I am an IT consultant with over 13 years of experience in managing global businesses. I have worked at several levels starting from software engineer to project manager (currently). I handle $2 Million portfolio for my fortune 500 employer.

Basic Stats:

1) B.Tech (CSE) from India. Final year GPA - 8.3/10. Overall CGPA - 75% (first class, top 15% in batch)
4) GMAT - 780
5) IELTS - 8.5

Why MBA?

Although I manage a big portfolio in my company (recruitment, budgeting, management, delivery etc.), I am part of technology practice which has very limited growth/upward movement. I want to move to a more functional level role where I could lead a practice/delivery unit (that oversees multiple projects across multiple geographies and clients) instead of managing an application at a client office.

In my firm, most of the senior management that handles the type of work I described above is part of Strategy practice. Unfortunately, even though I have had great success in my firm, they expect people to have done their MBA to handle such portfolios (possibly due to the nature of job that demands understanding of overall business). EMBA is out of question because my firm (and most solid ones out there) don't consider EMBA at same par as MBA and sufficient enough a credential to move a person's function (say from Technology to Strategy). I want to stay in the same industry but change my function from technology to strategy (but not pure strategy consulting per se) and EMBA will not help me achieve this. I would be happy to join a Product Management division in the same industry (and again, an EMBA will not cut it for me). Plus, I cannot afford the fee for EMBA (and neither my company will sponsor).

I know I don't have a strong chance but I do want to try my level best. I am not aspiring for H/S/W; I am realistic and I know what's possible and what is not. I am trying for Canadian schools as I would like to move from US to Canada (VISA reasons, stability in life, Toronto area for greater network, ability of my spouse to work etc.). I have shortlisted the following schools:

1) Rotman
2) Ivey
3) Schulich
4) Queens
5) HEC Montreal

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Samarth08 wrote:
Hello,

Basic Stats:

4) GMAT - 780
5) IELTS - 8.5

Why MBA?

1) Rotman
2) Ivey
3) Schulich
4) Queens
5) HEC Montreal

Hi Samarth08,

While your age and experience is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum for all the programs in question, with your experience and GMAT score, we see very high chances of your garnering an admit! Of course, do address your "need for an MBA" in an appropriate manner in your essays, particularly speaking about the same as a "learning experience".

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot