Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Do SC strategies recommend we write anything down during test? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
egrizzly wrote:
I don't follow. What is this grid you speak of?
A simple ABCDE grid to keep track of your options (which ones you've eliminated and which ones are still left).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
egrizzly wrote:
I've been attending GMAT prep courses in person as well as taking some "Verbal" courses through various online tutorials. Both those courses
lay out "steps" to use when doing SC. An example are the steps below.

Step #1
Read the original sentence and try to identify an error BEFORE looking at the answer choices.

Step #2
If an error is detected in the original sentence, or if the sentence is confusing (i.e. you'd
have to read it again to figure out what it means), immediately eliminate answer choice A and
physically cross it off your scratch paper.

Step #3
If an error is detected in the original sentence, eliminate any answer choice that doesn't make
the necessary correction.

Step #4
If more than one answer choice remains, or if no mistake was detected to begin with (in which case
all five answer choices remain as possibilities):
- Go through your checklist of common GMAT grammar mistakes.
- Look to the answer choices for clues; run the differences through your grammar checklist.
- Apply GMAT Effectiveness Rules

Step #5
After going through the checklist in Step 4, if you still do not detect a mistake in the original sentence, choose
answer choice A.

So my question is, since you have to go through all these steps is it recommended that you write anything down on the provided scratch
paper as you're going through the steps, or are you purely going through the steps mentally?

Hi
Normally the steps that you have mentioned are to be done mentally and not by writing down on the scratch pad. Different prep courses offer different strategies but I don't think any of them would tell to write down these steps on scratch pad. Instead only ABCDE to be written down and the answer choices to be eliminated shall be crossed out, as AjiteshArun pointed.
Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
souvonik2k wrote:
egrizzly wrote:
I've been attending GMAT prep courses in person as well as taking some "Verbal" courses through various online tutorials. Both those courses
lay out "steps" to use when doing SC. An example are the steps below.

Step #1
Read the original sentence and try to identify an error BEFORE looking at the answer choices.

Step #2
If an error is detected in the original sentence, or if the sentence is confusing (i.e. you'd
have to read it again to figure out what it means), immediately eliminate answer choice A and
physically cross it off your scratch paper.

Step #3
If an error is detected in the original sentence, eliminate any answer choice that doesn't make
the necessary correction.

Step #4
If more than one answer choice remains, or if no mistake was detected to begin with (in which case
all five answer choices remain as possibilities):
- Go through your checklist of common GMAT grammar mistakes.
- Look to the answer choices for clues; run the differences through your grammar checklist.
- Apply GMAT Effectiveness Rules

Step #5
After going through the checklist in Step 4, if you still do not detect a mistake in the original sentence, choose
answer choice A.

So my question is, since you have to go through all these steps is it recommended that you write anything down on the provided scratch
paper as you're going through the steps, or are you purely going through the steps mentally?

Hi
Normally the steps that you have mentioned are to be done mentally and not by writing down on the scratch pad. Different prep courses offer different strategies but I don't think any of them would tell to write down these steps on scratch pad. Instead only ABCDE to be written down and the answer choices to be eliminated shall be crossed out, as AjiteshArun pointed.
Hope it helps.

Ok then Souvonik. Thanks a bunch.
GMAT Club Bot