Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: Steve: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle g [#permalink]
iMyself wrote:
Steve: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle growth in the mining industry. The new regulations will cause mine owners to have to spend millions of dollars to bring their operations into compliance. The money spent on these upgrades means there is less money to pay workers and therefore a decrease in the amount of mining work done.
Jane: But the money spent upgrading the mines will make them safer. Increased safety measures mean that fewer miners are injured and they are able to spend more time on the job and less time on medical leave.
Jane responds to Steve by__________
A. indicating that Steve lacks any evidence for his claim
B. disputing the accuracy of the facts Steve presents for his conclusion
C. suggesting that Steve has not fully considered all the ramifications of the policy he objects to
D. accepting Steve’s conclusion while at the same time introducing a new consideration
E. agreeing with Steve’s primary conclusion but disputing his secondary conclusion

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT

The following is my approach on this question. If anyone has comments, please let me know.

- Steve:
+ posits that government's regulations will impede mining industry's growth [this is his conclusion]
+ supports his conclusion by reasoning that money spent on compliance means less pay for workers -> fewer workers -> less work done
- Jane:
+ says that money spent on upgrading will increase safety for workers -> increase time on job

* The word "but" in Jane's argument expresses her disagreement with Steve. What does she disagree on? Conclusion? Evidence? Clearly, she disagree on his conclusion. By stating a positive impact of regulations (increase safety for workers -> increase time on job), Jane concludes that regulations will not stifle mining industry's growth. In another word, she undermines Steve's conclusion.

Now let take a look at all answer choices:
=> Jane doesn't not mention it. In fact, she seems to accept his evidence.
=> As I mentioned in option (A), Jane doesn't dispute any facts Steve gives to support his conclusion
C. suggesting that Steve has not fully considered all the ramifications of the policy he objects to
Yes, this is right. Jane points out a positive effect of regulations on mining industry that Steve doesn't consider.
D. accepting Steve’s conclusion while at the same time introducing a new consideration
This is wrong. Jane doesn't accept Steve's conclusion
E. agreeing with Steve’s primary conclusion but disputing his secondary conclusion
Wrong! Jane doesn't accept any conclusion from Steve
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Re: Steve: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle g [#permalink]
AsadAbu wrote:
Steve: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle growth in the mining industry. The new regulations will cause mine owners to have to spend millions of dollars to bring their operations into compliance. The money spent on these upgrades means there is less money to pay workers and therefore a decrease in the amount of mining work done.

Jane: But the money spent upgrading the mines will make them safer. Increased safety measures mean that fewer miners are injured and they are able to spend more time on the job and less time on medical leave.

nightblade354 harvard2019

I think D should be the correct answer as Sentence from Jane Start with But according to that I feel Jane is accepting Steve's conclusion but also present other side of the coin. Could you please advise if my understanding is correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
Why I did not choose D is because of the word "ramification" that means unwelcome consequences.
Whatever Jane has mentioned here are not ramifications. These are positive consequences of new regulation.

Good learning from this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
Send PM
Steve: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle g [#permalink]
Kudos

Answer = C
What does Jane do:

She refutes the argument made by Steve. At no point Jane shows any sign of agreement. If she did, it might have looked like "While that may be the case for 1 or two mines but."
She brings a new point which Steve didnt think of which weakens or breaks Steve's argument.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gvij2017 wrote:
Why I did not choose D is because of the word "ramification" that means unwelcome consequences.
Whatever Jane has mentioned here are not ramifications. These are positive consequences of new regulation.

Good learning from this question.

gvij2017 word "ramification" is in option C and not in option D, Hope I have not made any error in getting your point.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
harvard2019 wrote:

Answer = C
What does Jane do:

She refutes the argument made by Steve. At no point Jane shows any sign of agreement. If she did, it might have looked like "While that may be the case for 1 or two mines but."
She brings a new point which Steve didnt think of which weakens or breaks Steve's argument.

Got your point buddy and I think I assumed following part with But and that was a my error :eh:

"While that may be the case for 1 or two mines but."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
I also feel that D should be right. By saying 'but' she is agreeing with Steve and then presenting another consideration which has been ignored by Steve. Please clarify
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30785 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:

Facts presented by Steve:
The new regulations will cause mine owners to have to spend millions of dollars to bring their operations into compliance. The money spent on these upgrades means there is less money to pay workers.

Steve's Primary Conclusion: New regulations imposed by the government are going to stifle growth in the mining industry
Steve's secondary conclusion: a decrease happens in the amount of mining work done.

Jane does not agree to the primary or secondary conclusions even though she agrees with the facts presented.

Option Analysis

Incorrect. Jane agrees to the facts presented as reasons.

She agrees with the facts. Incorrect.

Correct. She derives further conclusions about the same policy that Steve did not think of.

Incorrect Steve's conclusions are not accepted.

Incorrect. Steve's conclusions are not accepted.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts