Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [12]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: The global information and communications technology industry accounts [#permalink]
I'm not sure of B.

"It's" doesn't refer to United States. It refers to the "United States’ carbon dioxide emissions".
United States is not a subject in this sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The global information and communications technology industry accounts [#permalink]
The only issue I have with Option B is that it uses the pronoun 'it' when the antecedent is 'United State's Carbon Emissions'. This arrangement does not appear to be logical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Sparta_750 wrote:
The only issue I have with Option B is that it uses the pronoun 'it' when the antecedent is 'United State's Carbon Emissions'. This arrangement does not appear to be logical.

Actually it is logical, because the "it's" is talking about the industry.
The "United State's Carbon Emissions" is plural

Thefore it's clear about what is being said.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I got this question wrong last time but this time i guess i was more careful. Below are my thoughts:

Basic split is between United States's Vs United States. - There is no such thing as united state co2 emission. Is United states's CO2 emission. So B,C and E are out.

Between A and B - A has parallelism problem between Accounts XXXXX and Consumption of YYYYY. It should be Accounts For XXXX and Consumes YYYY so A is out.
B is correct answer.

feruz77 wrote:
The global information and communications technology industry accounts for nearly 2 percent of the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of U.S. consumption of nonrenewable resources, and produces nearly 95 percent of all handheld electronic devices.

(A) the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of U.S. consumption of nonrenewable resources, and produces
(B) the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions, consumes 25 percent of its nonrenewable resources, and produces
(C) United States carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of its consumption of nonrenewable resources, while it produces
(D) United states carbon dioxide emissions, 25 percent of its nonrenewable resource consumption, and it produces
(E) United States carbon dioxide emissions, 25 percent of the United States’ nonrenewable resource consumption, and
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
feruz77 wrote:
The global information and communications technology industry accounts for nearly 2 percent of the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of U.S. consumption of nonrenewable resources, and produces nearly 95 percent of all handheld electronic devices.

(A) the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of U.S. consumption of nonrenewable resources, and produces
(B) the United States’ carbon dioxide emissions, consumes 25 percent of its nonrenewable resources, and produces
(C) United States carbon dioxide emissions and 25 percent of its consumption of nonrenewable resources, while it produces
(D) United states carbon dioxide emissions, 25 percent of its nonrenewable resource consumption, and it produces
(E) United States carbon dioxide emissions, 25 percent of the United States’ nonrenewable resource consumption, and

I Marked A . I thought the parallelism was correct . But there is some flawt ,

The industry accounts for 2 % of emissions and 25 % of Consumption ,and produces....

it should have been

The industry accounts for nearly 2 % of US's carbon dioxide emissions and 25 % of US's consumption of non renewable resources . Needless to say a pronoun would be better in place of Second US's

So for me second is parallel and better

I hope it helps ! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Choice B is not correct. Its does not refer to US which should be the case. Its here refers to the industry which is illogical. The meaning would become "The global information and communications technology industry consumes 25 percent of its nonrenewable resources" which is meaningless.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
2019800aspirant Well, we can read this to mean "The industry consumes 25% of the US's resources," but this is not a great sentence. It's very odd to join an abstract action ("accounts for emissions and consumption") to a concrete one ("produces 95% of devices"). I can't imagine the GMAT allowing anything like this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can any one explain why B is the correct answer?
As we can see that here 'it'is referring to the industry instead of United state .

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Humira I think it's fair to say that none of these answers are actually correct. However, it is fine to use "its" to refer to the the United States' resources. There's no reason to say that this pronoun must refer to "industry."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I Choose A over B, because I thought B changes the meaning. A states that "The global information and communications technology industry accounts for 25 percent of U.S. consumption of nonrenewable resources" and B states that "The global information and communications technology industry consumes 25 percent of its nonrenewable resources".
My confusion in A:
Industry consumes 25% of the overall US consumption
and in B:
Industry consumes 25% of the resource.

Kindly help.

Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilbhat
I won't comment at length since we don't really want to try to learn from this flawed example. However, it's important to note that "changes the meaning" is not a valid reason to discard an answer, especially in cases such as this, where the meaning is essentially the same. Remember that A is incorrect 4/5 of the time, so there's no reason to assume that the meaning it conveys is the one we want. We need to look at all the answers to get a sense of the intended meaning.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts