Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [76]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [24]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [5]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Many important types of medicine have been developed from substances [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Neat question but a toughieeee.

A is the answer..Negating A we get = The substances don't differ from the substances already found.Implies we don't need the rainforest preservation.Kills the arguments conclusion that "important types of medicine will never be developed"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Many important types of medicine have been developed from substances [#permalink]
Hi everyone
Can there be any other way to approach this question or assumption questions in general?this is really good one.
Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
The alternative for negation I can think of is "MUST BE TRUE".Think of assumption questions as must be true questions that can be slightly out of scope.I used negation here just for explanation.I get your point.Applying the technique of negation is just too time consuming in the real exam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Bookmarks
redskull1 and sonusaini1 - I'd argue that it depends on how you apply negation. If you apply negation by writing out the negated answer choice, then I'd agree that it's probably a waste of time. However, if you are doing it in your head (and you've practiced the technique) it's a good strategy to be able to pull out of your toolbox to help eliminate incorrect answer choices and find the right one. (Although it's true that if you don't practice it, it'll take a lot longer than you might be comfortable spending on an assumption question.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
LauriaOrion mentions ¨If you apply negation by writing out the negated answer choice¨...one question on exam date are we given anything to write things out as say scratch paper....thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hey sony1000 -You'll have a five laminated sheets of gridded paper and a "wet erase" marker. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Can some expert please reply as to why option D is not correct.
If the substances cannot be found by the scientists then important types of substances will never be developed?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Even I narrowed it down to option A, which is the OA. Could have selected E as well. Why is E wrong?

Please help!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
I am also confused between A and E. I chose E and the OA is A

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Many important types of medicine have been developed from substances [#permalink]
I think E is wrong because it is just a replica of the conclusion and a not a gap which fills between premise and conclusion. A talks nothing about the preservation but still is the only left option if one could have eliminated E.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Quote:
If the substances cannot be found by the scientists then important types of substances will never be developed?

Even I have the same doubt... Can anyone explain, Why D is incorrect? GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GptShubham wrote:
Quote:

Even I have the same doubt... Can anyone explain, Why D is incorrect? GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

Hi
you can easily boil down to A and D, in D there is a subtle difference.
The conclusion of the argument is about if NOT preserve(cause) R.Forests---- Medicinal Values will be lost.(effect)

In the premise the remaining PS LIKELY to contain the Medicinal Values(not absolute that it will contain if studied).

Option D says: Its evident that if PS not preserved then DEFINITELY we will loose the imp MV's, that's wrong!!.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [1]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I do not understand why D wrong.
Option D states: Any substance of medicinal value contained in plant species indigenous to tropical rain forests will eventually be discovered if those species are studied by scientists.

Negating->If substances of medicinal value contained in plant species indigenous to tropical rain forests will eventually NOT be discovered if those species are studied by scientists ->even then important types of medicine will never be developed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
One thing i have noticed about any question , may it be termed very hard , hard , medium or easy, it all depends on YOUR KNOWLEDGE . No question is difficult, its just that you fall short of the knowledge .
for example, couple of days back there was an SC question ( 5% low dfficulty according to gmatclub) for which I spent 3 minutes and still got it wrong !!! why?? i had no idea about a particular idiom.
similarly, The above CR example (tagged as 95% difficult) , i took hardly 1 minute 15 seconds.
So you see it is not that you cannot solve, its just that you did not have that kinda knowledge.
So do not think that you cannot solve a so-called 700 level question , you can . All you need to do is increase your knowledge.

mikemcgarry has always been saying READ READ READ material from mags articles etc. At first i thot why would i need to know about stock markets or genes in the body, but i read them anyway and today when iread passages (so called convoluted ones) i do not get nervous or anxious , and when you are neither nervous or anxious , al you are left with is focus..

mikemcgarry GMATNinja agree?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Why is E wrong?

If i negate option E->

Tropical forests should not be preserved to make it possible for imp medicines to be be developed from plant species that have not yet been studied by scientists.

This completely breaks down the argument. For example, what if actually cutting all these trees at once and getting the plants to the scientists is a better way ?

GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos