Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Biggest disappointment- Q45 V28 - 610 - Need Help! Please [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sanathadiga,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
Hi sanathadiga.

Obviously, it's a little strange to not hit your score goal on the GMAT when you are used to succeeding. All the same, the truth is that this little setback is no big deal, and success in this case will require your responding to this situation in a way that leads to success.

How do you respond?

First, you have to assess the situation.

What happened in quant? Probably you got tricked by a couple of questions/had a bit of an off day. No big deal. Probably, if you were to take the test again tomorrow, you would score higher than 45 in quant.

Verbal is another story. Your score of V28 tends to indicate that something about the way you have been preparing for the verbal section is not really working, and here's one possibility. A lot of verbal materials tend to teach to the GMAT Prep tests. So, you use verbal materials to prepare, and then you take the GMAT Prep tests, and sure enough you score high on verbal. The thing is that the creators of verbal questions almost seem to know what people are learning when they prepare, and so, the questions they write are tricky in new ways, ways that you haven't seen before. So, if you have been preparing for verbal sort of formulaically, then you won't be ready for the new moves.

So, my take is that, generally speaking, you have not trained for the trickiness of the GMAT. See what I mean? You trained to answer certain types of questions, questions that everyone who creates GMAT prep materials has seen before, but in both quant and verbal, when they threw new tricks your way, you got smoked.

Another interesting thing is that your practice test scores have not been super steady. Rather, they have been sort of bouncing around. When a person's scores bounce around that way, generally that person is pretty skilled but not THAT skilled.

Second, you have to figure out what to do.

For quant, I think you have to strengthen some of your less strong areas. You should go back and see what types of questions you didn't get right on your practice tests and work on those types until you are super confident that you will get questions of those types correct when you see them. For instance, if you had a hard time with advanced overlapping sets questions, then you would learn more about how to answer those questions, and then answer at least 20 to 30 of those questions. You would make it so that, if you see an advanced overlapping sets question, you would be almost certain to get it correct, and get it correct in under two minutes. Then, you would find another type of question to work on, say work and rate questions, and do the same thing. If you strengthen your skills in a dozen areas of quant, you should lock in a 48+ quant score. Working category by category is pretty much guaranteed to strengthen your quant skills in a way that will result in your quant score being rock solidly at 48 or higher.

Verbal is different from quant. I think that for verbal, you have to slow way down in practice and learn to see what you have to see in order to get correct answers. Rules and strategies will get you only so far in verbal. Generally, scoring high in verbal is a matter of seeing what you have to see and not getting tricked into choosing trap answers.

Notice that your verbal scores on the two most recent GMAT Prep tests were in the low 30's. Those tests are probably the ones with questions closest to the verbal questions you saw when you took the actual GMAT, and apparently you were getting trapped. You are just not seeing what you have to see.

You felt good when you were doing the verbal section, but you didn't come close to hitting your score goal. Why? Because you were getting tricked right and left and didn't realize it. Right?

So, the answer is to slow down in your verbal prep and focus on noticing the key logical differences between trap choices and correct answers. You could even go back and analyze verbal questions that you have already answered to see exactly what makes the some choices correct and others incorrect, and to notice what makes some choices tempting traps that many people choose even though they are incorrect.

For more verbal, and quant questions, you could use the files here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmatprep ... 87679.html

Overall, clearly you can hit your score goal. Within a month or two, you can strengthen your quant skills and learn to more clearly see what is going on in verbal questions. So, dust yourself off, get back on that horse, and make it happen.

Thanks a lot MartyMurray. Those are encouraging words. I will probably spend a lot of time going back to basics and review each question, one by one and try to see things which I should notice as soon as I look at the question. Is practicing from OG again a good idea ?

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sanathadiga,

I can understand that you are extremely demotivated currently since you have always reached your target in the first attempt. But this is not the end of the road. I am sharing a few storiess of students who bounced back from one low scoring attempt to reach their target score in the next which I hope will serve as a motivator for you.
    • Nishant improved from a V27 to V41. Click here to read his amazing success story.
    • Nihal improved from a V25 (630) to V41 (760). Click here to read his debrief.
    • Arjun was unable to cross V26 in 3 attempts but scores V41 in the fourth. Click here to view his video interview.
I would request you to share your ESR with us on support@e-gmat.com so that we can draw insights from it and suggest a precise way forward to help you ace the GMAT.

Looking forward to your email.

Regards,
Aditee
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
sanathadiga wrote:
Thanks a lot MartyMurray. Those are encouraging words. I will probably spend a lot of time going back to basics and review each question, one by one and try to see things which I should notice as soon as I look at the question. Is practicing from OG again a good idea ?

Posted from my mobile device

Using the OG again is definitely a good idea. You can get a lot out of reviewing even the easiest verbal questions. There is so much to see in even the easiest questions.

Also, use those files of GMAT Prep questions. That way you will have a lot more questions and a lot more to see. There are hundreds of verbal questions in those files.

I have been writing some verbal prep materials. So, I have been carefully studying official questions to see exactly what makes them work. Wow, I have learned to see a LOT. There are so many cool little details. Even though I have been doing basically no timed practice, I can get through the verbal section of the GMAT super quickly now, and still score V51.

You could also go back over your GMAT Prep tests and review all the verbal questions in them, as GMAT Prep 3, 4, 5, and 6 have the most current questions. You could even retake the GMAT Prep tests, not that doing so will give you a realistic test experience, because it WILL NOT, but because, by doing so, you will access more verbal questions that you have not seen. For realistic practice test experiences, you have to keep taking NEW practice tests, and people sometimes really mess themselves up by retaking practice tests, but you can definitely at least get a somewhat realistic test experience by retaking and see more cool verbal questions.
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sanathadiga,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, there are three things that stand out from your debrief that I believe led to your performance on test day:

1) As HanoiGMATtutor mentioned, taking 10 practice exams in 21 days is not a good idea. Sure, you scored high on many of those exams, but you are not able to make the most of practice tests when taking them every other day, right? Practice exams need to be spread out such that you can a) fully examine each exam to find and fix weaknesses and b) study weak topics in between each exam so that you ensure an improvement from one exam to the next.

2) During your prep, you say that you studied for 3 hours every day, stopped traveling and hanging out with friends, and put all your efforts into cracking the exam. Why do those things stand out to me? Well, it’s clear that you put WAY TOO MUCH pressure on yourself to succeed on the GMAT. Thus, in addition to over-testing and inefficiently studying (I’ll get to that next), you closed off your entire life for 3 months and only focused on the GMAT. It’s no surprise that on test day, the immense pressure you had been putting on yourself finally came to a head and affected your performance. Remember, there is a big difference between actively, steadfastly preparing for the GMAT and over-preparing to the point where you never give yourself a moment to relax. Moving forward, try to incorporate GMAT studying into your normal life. Certainly, that doesn’t mean socializing every night; however, it’s important to spend time with family and friends and do things that make you happy, so you’re not thinking about the GMAT every hour of every day. Too much stress can negatively impact both your knowledge retention when studying and your performance on test day.

3) You previous study routine consisted of completing the OG and taking practice exams. Thus, you never gave yourself a chance to really learn the content on the GMAT, because your prep centered on doing practice questions. While engaging in practice is a necessary part of improving your GMAT skills, such practice is only beneficial after you have studied the necessary topics on which practice questions are based. Moving forward, consider adjusting your study plan to allow for linear learning. Specifically, consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions.

Now, as far as HOW to improve your GMAT skills before your retake, you need to follow a more thorough study plan. Say you begin studying Critical Reasoning. You need to ensure that you fully understand the essence of the various Critical Reasoning question types. Do you know the importance of an assumption within an argument? Can you easily spot a conclusion? Do you know how to resolve a paradox? Do you know how to properly evaluate cause and effect? Do you know how to properly weaken or strengthen an argument? These are just a few examples; you really need to take a deep dive into the individual Critical Reasoning topics such that you develop the necessary skills to properly attack any Critical Reasoning questions that you encounter.

As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you incorrectly answered a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you are reading a paragraph, also consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating, so to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, your Sentence Correction performance likely has not improved because you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing that you have to do is be very careful. The main thing that you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently to extend your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you’ll then want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple SC topics.

Although your quant is stronger, you should follow a similar process for that section. For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sanath, you might want to post your ESR, since it would be available by now.

This will help us analyze your performance and provide more specific inputs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Sanath, you might want to post your ESR, since it would be available by now.

This will help us analyze your performance and provide more specific inputs.

Hi,

I have attached is the ESR report.

So looks like my guess of SC screwing me over was right.

When i comes to quant I got very wierd questions in quant. Like Main hall light will be off only if either of Suite A and Suite B room hall is off( not otherwise) . when hall light can not be on ? and i was given some graphs and asked to calculated averages . I didn't understand why i got all these questions in my quant. :(

so I am starting my preparation from this weekend again. Planning to give the exam by 3rd week of November. Any expert who can help me, I will be forever grateful.

Thanks you to each one of you for replying and motivating me. I am not the one who easily gives up. I will bounce back, at least I will try my level best.
Attachments

File comment: ESR
sanath adiga_340849548_ESR.pdf [487.02 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Biggest disappointment- Q45 V28 - 610 - Need Help! Please [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sanath, I also noticed that your accuracy was just 50% in the first quarter in Verbal. While there is a lot of debate around this (whether first few questions matter more in terms of weightage and trend-setting), you might want to spend slightly more time per question in the first quarter, to improve the accuracy.

If for nothing else, just to warm-up during the initial few minutes of the section. This strategy might make a difference.

Also, since SC emerges as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
GMAT Club Bot
Biggest disappointment- Q45 V28 - 610 - Need Help! Please [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts