Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Ask ApplicantLab [#permalink]
Hi Maria!!

I am from India and recently took 750 after two failed attempts of 610 each.I would really appreciate if you can evaluate my profile:

GMAT 750 (Q50 V40 IR 4 AWA 5.5)
Graduation: B.Tech (Mech.) CGPA 8.11/10
Post-Graduation: MBA (Oil and Gas management) CGPA 3.42/4 (in top 5)
Work Ex: 6 Years in Oil and Gas downstream Sector (Sales and Marketing) in company which 1st in Fortune India 500 list and 168th in Fortune's ‘Global 500’ list of world's largest companies. It is also an India's most profitable state-owned company.

Brief Summary of Work Experience:

A result-oriented professional with over 6 years of experience in Sales & Marketing, Business Development and Business Intelligence & Analysis

Leading a team of 60 distributors who are handling total customer base of 0.45 million in one area. Team is responsible for Maintaining regular supplies of LPG in Sales Zone and ensuring equitable supply of LPG cylinders; inspecting distributorship operations, keeping in view the commercial, technical and safety aspects including Surprise Inventory Check of stock held by distributors.

Experience in forecasting sales & revenue, identifying new markets and customer segments, developing sales & marketing strategies to exploit these opportunities

Lead the team established for developing module and features of Mobile App for LPG field officers. App is recognized by top management and Director marketing launched an App. These app now plays one of the most important role in filed officials to achieve their KPIs. It has helped to increase productivity of field force.

Long Term Goal:

To work for top consulting firm such as BCG or Bain & Company with expertise in Oil & Gas, Clean Energy, Risk management and M&A and after gaining enough experience I would like to lead consulting firm as Senior Partner or Managing partner. I would also like to work in the field of education especially in India in consultation with Indian Government to improve level of education in Indian rural sector.

Target Schools (full time - 2 year MBA program)

Wharton, Kellogg, Duke Fuqua, Michigan Ross, Booth or any other in US which you fill would suit as per my profile and long term goal.

I have almost decides to subscribe for Applicantlab so once I get your views on School Selection, I would put all my efforts to prepare a wining application.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there! And Whew! Now that R1 is (almost!) over, I can turn my attention back to these posts! I've created video replies to three of them. My thoughts on your profile can be found in the video here:https://www.applicantlab.com/mba-chances-profile-review-30-year-old-energy-consultant-iit-690-gmat-canada/

p.s. note that I had reached out to this user offline last week to ask if there was a reason that U.S. programs, and not Canadian programs, were being targeted. I haven't heard back yet, so I'm going to assume that those are indeed in play (and in fact should be a focus, given Canada's clear current advantages). Thank you!

gmatenthureturns wrote:
Hello,

Please find a brief of my profile below. I thank you in anticipation for your help!

Age – 30 years Male, Nationality – Indian, planning to apply for Canadian citizenship if I end up in a good MBA program so that I can avoid H1B circus post graduation :-) (applying only for US universities)

Education: B.Tech & M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering/Energy Technology from one of the top 5 IITs in India (GPA – 3.6/4 as per WES assessment), MSc in Mechanical Engineering from one of the top 5 Canadian University (GPA – 3.8/4)

GMAT – 690 (Q51, V31, IR6), planning to apply only for safe schools during R1 2018, need to retake GMAT to cross 730 to be able to apply for target schools during R2.

WE: Total 5 years by next year (4 years in Canada and 1 year in India - 2.5 years in a top energy management consultancy firm which runs energy efficiency programs in North America, 1.5 years in other energy audit firms, and 1 year in a big oil)

Internships: 2 research interns during undergrad – 3 months in an European university and 3 months in SIEMENS in its energy research group)

Publications – Couple of publications in reputed journals (Electrochimica Acta, Journal of The Electrochemical Society)

Scholarships – 1 during undergrad, 3 during grad school (2 of them are pretty reputed)

Extra curricular – Organized few tech events, member of choreography and light music team (as an acoustic guitarist) during undergrad, volunteered for a program during grad school that was meant to spread cultural awareness of my home country through presentations in schools, currently volunteering as a mentor and registration presenter for an engineering regulatory body of a Canadian province

Post MBA Goal – Energy Consultancy/Trading/IB

I will be applying for MBA programs and universities that are reputed for energy. On that note, I will appreciate if somebody can please suggest few safe as well as target schools I could pursue based on my profile. I am targeting to matriculate by Fall 2019.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there! I'm sure you know that only having 2-2.5-ish years of work experience puts you a bit below the averages, so I'm happy that you seem open to waiting a a couple more years. The rest of my thoughts and advice are in the video found here: https://www.applicantlab.com/mba-chances-profile-review-2-years-of-experience-tax-it-720-purdue-comp-sci/

Thank you!

akanksha26 wrote:
Akanksha Sharma, Indian, Female, 28

Hello,
I have taken the GMAT three times (640, 660: Q49 V32, final: 720) with a Q47 V41 finally. I did my undergrad from Purdue University in computer engineering and graduated with a 3.2 GPA. During university I did a 4 term coop (3 summers 1 semester) as a software developer at the vfx company Technicolor. I graduated from Purdue in Dec 2015 and worked at the Georgia Department of Revenue (Atlanta) as a consultant for 2 years. Now, I am considering applying to B-schools for Fall 2019, and I see the top 10 B schools in USA have a GMAT average of 720+
My question is:
1) Should I retake the GMAT and try to get a 740+ or begin my applications for Round 2 to the B schools. Consequently, based on your experience and expertise with student profiles, does my profile have the potential for a top 10 school in the USA of which some of my dream schools are Wharton, Harvard, Colombia, Yale, Booth and Berkeley?

2) Is the Harvard HBX core program beneficial to significantly strengthen MBA application acceptance at the top 10?

Will be greatful if I could get some insight from you to decide how to proceed: retake GMAT and apply; apply to B-schools after a few more years if my aim is the top 10; and hence get more work experience;

Thank you,
Akanksha Sharma
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Keysersoze10 -- thanks for your note! My thoughts on your profile are in the video in this post:

https://www.applicantlab.com/mba-profile-review-age-31-680-gmat-it-5-promotions-in-7-years/

For you, getting up to that 740 will matter a lot, but even more pivotal is just how much leadership experience you actually have. Getting 5 promotions in 7 years is amazing (!!!) but if they have been to increasingly complex coding problems, vs. to larger management positions, then it's not so easy for me to give an exact prognosis, but I tried my best!

Keysersoze10 wrote:
Hi Maria,

First of all, let me start off by saying that I am really impressed and surprised with your dedication - very few consultants take the pain to go through each post and respond to them in so detail, so thank you for that!

Here is my story :
I am 31, will start my MBA next year at 32. I have seen your couple of posts earlier and you seemed to have suggested that post 30 it is very tough to get into a full-time MBA college. Is my understanding correct (I hope not ill be really disappointed) ?
I am an Indian- Engineer and have already given GMAT once in 2016 - I got 680 (Q50, V32) and have got a couple of interview invites that year from IIM B and ISB, but couldn't get thru the interview. Have been preparing on & off in 2017, but have just gotten serious with the preparation and plan to give my GMAT in Oct. I know I am from the over-represented group so I am trying my best to get at least 740. The reason I have waited is that I have to do my MBA (only full-time) from a good college, and it has to be in the top 10 MBA colleges of that country (i am open to any country).
Just a few details about my profile - My extra-circulars are okay (lead few initiatives at the office level, captain of the cricket team et al) and have had fast-paced growth (around 5 promotions in 7 years and one of the youngest managers in a big multinational out of the India office). I am working as a project manager in a financial services company (in I.T dept.) and want to get into product management or I.T consulting. Academics are also okay (around 80% in school and 72% in engineering). I know age is not by my side, so I have to apply this year at any cost. Could you please let me know what schools should I target in both the cases - with a 680 score or a 730+ score). Thanks in advance! ApplicantLab
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hi Maria!!

I am from India and recently took 750 after two failed attempts of 610 each.I would really appreciate if you can evaluate my profile:

Work Ex: 6 Years in Oil and Gas downstream Sector (Sales and Marketing) in company which 1st in Fortune India 500 list and 168th in Fortune's ‘Global 500’ list of world's largest companies. It is also an India's most profitable state-owned company.

A result-oriented professional with over 6 years of experience in Sales & Marketing, Business Development and Business Intelligence & Analysis

Leading a team of 60 distributors who are handling total customer base of 0.45 million in one area. Team is responsible for Maintaining regular supplies of LPG in Sales Zone and ensuring equitable supply of LPG cylinders; inspecting distributorship operations, keeping in view the commercial, technical and safety aspects including Surprise Inventory Check of stock held by distributors.

Experience in forecasting sales & revenue, identifying new markets and customer segments, developing sales & marketing strategies to exploit these opportunities

Lead the team established for developing module and features of Mobile App for LPG field officers. App is recognized by top management and Director marketing launched an App. These app now plays one of the most important role in filed officials to achieve their KPIs. It has helped to increase productivity of field force.

Long Term Goal:

To work for top consulting firm such as BCG or Bain & Company with expertise in Oil & Gas, Clean Energy, Risk management and M&A and after gaining enough experience I would like to lead consulting firm as Senior Partner or Managing partner. I would also like to work in the field of education especially in India in consultation with Indian Government to improve level of education in Indian rural sector.

Wharton, Kellogg, Duke Fuqua, Michigan Ross, Booth or any other in US which you fill would suit as per my profile and long term goal.

I have subscribed to Applicantlab so once I get your views on School Selection, I would put all my efforts to prepare a wining application.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello! My thoughts are in the video found here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-profile-review-750-oil-and-gas-sales-big-company-launched-app/

Thank you! And congrats on persevering to get that score up!

rohansdalal wrote:
Hi Maria!!

Long Term Goal:

I have subscribed to Applicantlab so once I get your views on School Selection, I would put all my efforts to prepare a wining application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey Maria, would you please evaluate my profile?

25 year old Israeli male. Starting my final year of Law school at Tel Aviv University (Law is taught in Israel as an undergraduate degree), 83/100 (2-6 points above faculty average).

GMAT 770 (first take, could take it again to aim for 790 - is it necessary?). 49Q, 47V, 4.5 AWA, 7 IR.

3-year service at an elite military intelligence unit, including 2 years as a manager of a major project - involving coordination with technological teams, national-security agencies and highly senior officers in the military intelligence branch.
2.5 years at a major business/finance publishing company, during which I was promoted twice (once within the editorial board, second time to a project manager position at a newly-founded Digital&Innovation department). In my current role, I've lead a number of successful projects (my recommenders would confirm) - some carried significant impact on the organization's digital assets and revenues. All of the projects involved a matrix management of several designers, programmers, editors, reporters. Along the way, I got the chance to conduct thorough business & technological analyses, implement new technological tools, reshape work methodologies etc.

I've been serving for the last 2 years in the board of a non-profit organization working to educate teenagers on proper tools and practices that can make their internet habits safer (basically, we're trying to prevent harassment cases that may lead to suicides).

My post MBA goals are working for an international publishing company (Insider Inc. / Washington Post's ARC publishing / NYT) or basically anywhere I can continue to work towards a more innovative, trusted and profitable publishing industry. Second option for me is seeking opportunities involving change management (Consulting, Private Equite etc.) since I'm pretty passionate about the subject.

Drawbacks (as much as I could identify): lack of international exeprience, low GPA compared to other applicants (although that could be explained, I suppose, by citing my full-time employment during the majority of my studies), mediocre leadership exeprience.

Looking for a suitable US 2-yr program.

What do you think? Should I use my student status to apply for a deferred admission program, or wait to gain more exeperience? And what programs should I be aiming for?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Maria,

Kindly evaluate my profile

Age at Matriculation - 39 years
Matriculation yr - Aug 2019 or Jan/Mar 2020
Education - BE (GPA 3.0), MBA (Tier II school in India)
Programs interested - Full time MBA (1yr & 2yr)
Locations preferred - Europe & Canada
GMAT - 710, planning a retake in November, aiming 750+

Nationality - Indian

Extracurriculars - Powerlifting team captain at university, Bronze medalist at National level Powerlifting competition, Black Belt in Taekwondo, Winner of various State/National level Bodybuilding competitions

Community work - Taught Martial arts & guitar to children at a foster home, which took care of children born in brothels.
Taught the basics of fitness & nutrition to underprivileged teenagers at local community, to prepare them for a career in Personal training.

Experience - 9 years in Sales Support managerial role in Top companies in the Consumer Electronics Industry in India.
6 months Sabbatical, then for the last 1.5 years as a full time Freelance Fitness/Nutrition/Kick-boxing Coach. As a fitness coach i exclusively work with HNI's & provide customized Personal training & Diet programs. I also train fitness athletes to get them ready for Bodybuilding contests.

Global exposure - None, other than working for Chinese & South Korean firms, hence constant interaction with Global offices.

Post MBA goals - To get into Consumer Electronics Industry on an international level, to gain Global exposure working for Top brands primarily in Europe & North America. Hoping to someday be at the CXO level position.

Schools Targeted - Safe schools - Schulich, Ivey, HEC(Montreal), Smith, Mannheim, Leipzig,
Dream schools - Rotman, Erasmus, IMD, INSEAD, HEC(Paris)

Now my questions are

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice?

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools?

3. I have recently been offered a role back in the corporate as a Product manager. This role is new to me & is very attractive & also its a great opportunity for me to restart my career in corporate. However I am skeptical about leaving my business, which i built from scratch & is doing quite well.
I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again?

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there Elwood12! My thoughts on your profile can be found in the video I've embedded in this blog post -- thank you!

https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-profile-review-israeli-age-25-770-gmat-still-in-college/

Elwood12 wrote:
Hey Maria, would you please evaluate my profile?

25 year old Israeli male. Starting my final year of Law school at Tel Aviv University (Law is taught in Israel as an undergraduate degree), 83/100 (2-6 points above faculty average).

GMAT 770 (first take, could take it again to aim for 790 - is it necessary?). 49Q, 47V, 4.5 AWA, 7 IR.

3-year service at an elite military intelligence unit, including 2 years as a manager of a major project - involving coordination with technological teams, national-security agencies and highly senior officers in the military intelligence branch.
2.5 years at a major business/finance publishing company, during which I was promoted twice (once within the editorial board, second time to a project manager position at a newly-founded Digital&Innovation department). In my current role, I've lead a number of successful projects (my recommenders would confirm) - some carried significant impact on the organization's digital assets and revenues. All of the projects involved a matrix management of several designers, programmers, editors, reporters. Along the way, I got the chance to conduct thorough business & technological analyses, implement new technological tools, reshape work methodologies etc.

I've been serving for the last 2 years in the board of a non-profit organization working to educate teenagers on proper tools and practices that can make their internet habits safer (basically, we're trying to prevent harassment cases that may lead to suicides).

My post MBA goals are working for an international publishing company (Insider Inc. / Washington Post's ARC publishing / NYT) or basically anywhere I can continue to work towards a more innovative, trusted and profitable publishing industry. Second option for me is seeking opportunities involving change management (Consulting, Private Equite etc.) since I'm pretty passionate about the subject.

Drawbacks (as much as I could identify): lack of international exeprience, low GPA compared to other applicants (although that could be explained, I suppose, by citing my full-time employment during the majority of my studies), mediocre leadership exeprience.

Looking for a suitable US 2-yr program.

What do you think? Should I use my student status to apply for a deferred admission program, or wait to gain more exeperience? And what programs should I be aiming for?
Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Mr. Todd -- as you seem to be aware, you're a pretty unconventional candidate, and thus my advice for you is going to be pretty unconventional as well. In this video, I found myself (the more and more I read your query) feeling a bit more like a life coach than an MBA Admissions Coach :)

Watch my video here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-profile-review-indian-citizen-age-39-fitness-kick-boxing-coach/

(Also, I refer to the "AdCom Hierarchy of Needs" in this video, which you can read more about here: MBA Admissions Committees Have Needs; Do You Meet Those Needs?")

MrTodd wrote:
Hi Maria,

Kindly evaluate my profile

Age at Matriculation - 39 years
Matriculation yr - Aug 2019 or Jan/Mar 2020
Education - BE (GPA 3.0), MBA (Tier II school in India)
Programs interested - Full time MBA (1yr & 2yr)
Locations preferred - Europe & Canada
GMAT - 710, planning a retake in November, aiming 750+

Nationality - Indian

Extracurriculars - Powerlifting team captain at university, Bronze medalist at National level Powerlifting competition, Black Belt in Taekwondo, Winner of various State/National level Bodybuilding competitions

Community work - Taught Martial arts & guitar to children at a foster home, which took care of children born in brothels.
Taught the basics of fitness & nutrition to underprivileged teenagers at local community, to prepare them for a career in Personal training.

Experience - 9 years in Sales Support managerial role in Top companies in the Consumer Electronics Industry in India.
6 months Sabbatical, then for the last 1.5 years as a full time Freelance Fitness/Nutrition/Kick-boxing Coach. As a fitness coach i exclusively work with HNI's & provide customized Personal training & Diet programs. I also train fitness athletes to get them ready for Bodybuilding contests.

Global exposure - None, other than working for Chinese & South Korean firms, hence constant interaction with Global offices.

Post MBA goals - To get into Consumer Electronics Industry on an international level, to gain Global exposure working for Top brands primarily in Europe & North America. Hoping to someday be at the CXO level position.

Schools Targeted - Safe schools - Schulich, Ivey, HEC(Montreal), Smith, Mannheim, Leipzig,
Dream schools - Rotman, Erasmus, IMD, INSEAD, HEC(Paris)

Now my questions are

1. How do you rate my chances at the above schools, considering my age & untraditional current career choice?

2. Does my move away from corporate to start something on my own (which is very non traditional & untypical of a Bschool aspirant), looks bad on my resume, so much as to hamper my chances at these schools?

3. I have recently been offered a role back in the corporate as a Product manager. This role is new to me & is very attractive & also its a great opportunity for me to restart my career in corporate. However I am skeptical about leaving my business, which i built from scratch & is doing quite well.
I would not want to move back to corporate, unless it will help in showcasing my profile in good light, in a very traditional way. Will a move back to corporate look bad on my resume or will it be show a good shift, since i will be kind of re inventing myself again?

Thanks. Appreciate your inputs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi Maria,

Great job with the platform. I have taken trial version and I am super impressed. Can you please review my profile and suggest me some insights? Its urgent so a quick response is appreciated.

Undergraduate

B.Tech. in Industrial Engineering. Non IIT/Non NIT. First Class with Distinction. 79% - Academic Excellence Award. Top 3 in class of 75.
Student Clubs and Activities: Entrepreneurship Club, Alumni Co-ordinator, First Team Basketball Player for both my school and my university, Best Athlete in inter-university athletics meet.

Additional Certifications

CFA, USA - Cleared all three levels in first attempt with more than 90th percentile in level 3 exam
National Institute of Securities Market - Certified Research Analyst with specialization in Financial Markets

GMAT:

710 ( Q50, V35, IR8). This is second attempt. Earlier was 690. I scored 770 and 760 in Mocks leading upto the exam. Super disappointed with current score. If I retake the exam then I will probably miss out on Cornell's and NYU's 15th Nov Deadline. Thoughts?

Work Experience:

Total 4 years.

June'18 - Current - Assistant Manager at Citi - Role is mixture of Business Finance and Data Analytics. Fastest Promotion (even before the mandatory 18 month rule at Citi - Top rated Employee)
Forecasted financials of North America Credit Card Portfolio worth ~$2 Billion in Annual Revenue by collaborating with Business Partners across geographies
Optimized investment decisions and Promotional offers to reduce promo balance by $1.5 Billion
Reengineered quarterly Marketing Budget Optimization to allocate ~$240MM budget effectively
Involved in multiple activities that can reflect leadership potential - Reverse Mentoring ( Mentoring SVPs and Directors), HR Analytics (Helping HR team better plan Learning and development strategy)

Jan'17 -May'18 - Senior Analyst at Citi in Data Science - Marketing Analytics
Redefined Direct Mail Targeting Strategy to increase acquisition by 30% and EBIT by $6 Million
Developed Business case for a new Credit Card product that is currently live in US Market
Implemented and leveraged insights from Actuals vs Forecast to improve Forecasting accuracy by 15%
Recognized as ‘Superstar’ in Q4’2017 for driving cross team collaboration
Awarded ‘Quarterly Excellence Award’ at all India level in Q3’17 for Innovation and Automation

Nov'16 - Dec'17 - Quant Analyst - Mu Sigma (World’s largest provider of analytics and data science solutions) - Solving Problems for multiple Fortune 500 clients. Significant client exposure.
Realized incremental revenue of ~$200 M through improved cross-selling for a Fortune 100 Tech giant
Reduced fraud by 20% to improve CSAT from Neutral to Satisfied for Fotune 300 e-commerce giant
Reduced Inventory pileup by 8% for world’s 10th largest steel manufacturer by predictive modeling
Developed Data Science implementation roadmap for 3 Fortune 500 companies

Post MBA Goals:

Lead Data Analytics and Data Science Teams at Fortune 500 (Banking preferred). Explore possibilities of leveraging Data Science in PE/IB to value companies.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR

Sports: National Level Basketball Player, Best Athlete in inter-college Atheltics meet.
Interests: Organizing 15-30-45 day meditation retreats and sessions, Certified Yoga Instructor
Volunteer Experience: NIWCYD (Microfinance) - Developed bank linkages & Financial management guidelines for self-help groups. MAD (Make a Difference) - Training soft skills and English to underprivileged children of my city
Online Courses: Quant Modeling & Accounting (Wharton), Business Metrics for Data Driven Companies (Duke), Analytics Edge (MIT)

My target schools are Booth,Tuck, Stern, Insead, Anderson, Tepper, Haas, LBS, CBS, and Johnson. I understand some of these schools are over ambitious.

Questions:

1) Do I have realistic chance for any school? OR we can only talk after a GMAT of 740 for each of these schools?
2) Am I missing any school that would be a better fit given my profile?
3) Would Adcoms consider this a typical Indian Male Engineer profile or this profile stands out?
4) I can't write GMAT again before Cornell's and NYU's 15th Nov deadline. Should I apply with this profile?
5) I have Application fee waivers from Rice, UNC and USC Marshall. Should i apply there as a backup/practice or it will be just waste of time and energy?

Please Note- I am on a 15 day trip with family in first half of November so writing or preparing for GMAT is out of question at that time
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post an update here after using ApplicantLab for the past few months. Hopefully this will help people who are on the fence about buying the platform and future applicants.

To give you some context, I applied to a bunch of schools last year with the help of a traditional admissions consultant. I ended up with a total of 8 rejections (7 without interview, 1 after interview & waitlist). The bad part of my profile - Indian, male, 4.5 years of work experience. No great brand names or real feeder companies on my resume. Fairly mediocre grades for an Indian (6.6ish GPA). The good part - Slightly diverse work experience and background, lots of ECs and community involvement.

After I was rejected last year, I contacted Maria and offered to pay her for a "ding analysis." I had already bought the tool, but figured a ding analysis would help me figure out what went wrong. Maria responded to my email and refused. She said that I should go through all the modules, and I'll be able to figure out exactly why I was dinged. She said that if I couldn't, I could get back in touch and pay her to get it, but she didn't believe I would need it if I finished the modules within the Lab. She was right. I not only figured out where my application fell flat last year, but also knew exactly what parts of my background to highlight this time around. The Lab has a section on how to address potential weaknesses (I obviously had a lot! :) ). Additionally, the career module of the Lab is pure gold. It really forces you to think through your story, how realistic your goals are and what you want out of business school. I'd say that my entire narrative going into applications this year was due to the career module on the Lab. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

I haven't even touched on the school-specific advice/resume advice and interview modules, but its obvious just how much ApplicantLab helped me. If my traditional consultant had made me think through my story as much as ApplicantLab, I probably would've avoided the heartbreak of rejections last year. Every essay question has a video from Maria letting you know how to approach it and what information is important. The resume section really improved the quality of my resume this year, I even had a few comments from family friends and acquaintances about how strong it looked. And the best part is, I got all this at a fraction of the price of a traditional consultant.

I will post a more detailed debrief and review at the end of application season, but hopefully this will help R2 candidates who are on the fence about signing up with ApplicantLab. Buying it is a no-brainer if you want world-class application help without the heavy price tag.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for the honest evaluation!! really appreciate the time you spent doing an in depth analysis & giving real advice!!

Also love the idea that you used a video to reply & not just type one out :)

Totally buy your point of view & insights, and i would suggest the same to myself if i was asked to evaluate myself.

However i feel that my profile is not totally one dimensional as it seems, it has more depth as far as my Post MBA goals & employability & nature of my current business is concerned. Let me allow you to elaborate a bit further, will appreciate if you can provide further inputs. I know it would get boring for you to evaluate the same profile again, i will try my best to make it sound cooler :)

Reason to leave Corporate Job - Lay Off!! yes, because of the demonetisation drive which the Indian government had in 2016, the company that i was working for lost a significant amount of business revenue. My department was dissolved & I along with my colleague & supervisor were laid off. Up untill then I was in a mid managerial role leading a team of 6 business analyts (my best job role till date from pov of leadership).

Post lay off, the industry still being in a slump (trust me i tried my best to find a job asap), i did a bit of soul searching (post a short road trip across rural India) & made a decision to start on my own. Since i had been involved in the fitness industry (competing/coaching) using it as a part time stream of revenue throughout my career in coporate, It came as a natural way forward for me to expand my existing part time venture to a full time venture. The decision was partly out of necessity (needed a steady income generator in the months following lay off) & partly due to my passion for Coaching (not just fitness, i also have previously dabbled in being a Guitar tutor)

To give you a brief idea of my business, it involves Online coaching(major portion of business), Personal training/Injury rehab, Kick boxing/Taekwondo coaching(mostly to kids/teenagers) & Bodybuilding contest prep. You can use the analogy of any Self employed business owner (GMAT tutor/boutique admission consultant/CA/Artist/etc.) to understand the nature of business.

I had been doing Diets/Workout Plans for my colleagues & supervisors, while i was working in coporate, often times for free. I eventually converted most of these clients to paid clients, while further expanding by getting in touch with all my previous colleagues & university classmates (most in their mid 30's & unhealthy, who were very well aware of my university level powerlifting wins). I had a great response & the business took off good.

Next i extensively used Social media (Facebook & Instagram) to reach out to a lot of the younger clientele, specific to bodybuilding/fitness. Since i had been featured in a fitness magazine as well as won numerous local bodybuilding shows, also in addition to the growing popularity of fitness & in general to look good (thanks to Bollywood/media), acquiring clients for Online coaching wasn't that hard.

I also collaborated with local dieticians/chiropractors/health clubs, which further has helped in gaining clients, especially the HNI clients (Named brand owners/indutrialists), whom i exclusively stick to Personal training/Injury rehab. Also referral played a huge part, as a good word of mouth helped build my credibility.

In terms of managing my own business, it does involve elements of marketing my service (both online & offline), price offering, differentiating my service as a premium offering, managing client progress for long term engagement & providing measurable results. Though the business may not involve using management tools to achive results, the fundamentals are still the same to generate revenue & earn profit.

To sum it up, the business keeps me busy with daily client trainings & on weekends with weekly online client checkins. The only limitation is the number of hours I can physically put in or i am willing to put in.

Now the question is why leave all of this & why MBA now?

As i already mentioned i am 38, right now, although still in great shape & easily pass off as a 20 something year old, thanks to years of training & good diet (no alcohol/smoking). However, Fitness is still a young man's game, it is a very "looks" oriented field, dare i say a glamourous field, similar on the lines of cosmetic/makeup industry. Eventually father time will take over & it will become a hard sell, as young bucks would easily replace me. Even though knowledge & experience matter, but my philosphy is leading by example.

The motto of my business has always been customised/tailored service, which is the main reason for me to not launch my own website (to go for mass) & give out a cookie cutter service, which is one size fits all. I only work with a limited number of clients at a time, so that i can gaurantee results to them. It has been always Quality over Quantity. This approach is what has built my credibilty.

As much as i love fitness, i equally love to be a part of an organisation, particularly the Consumer Electronics Industry. My past experience has been with Samsungs & the like, and i absolutely love the corporate culture. The new role as a Product manager gives me a great opportunity to do something which i always had aspired to do while i was in corporate. The only contention i have is does my story look good to an Adcom, of switching back to corporate, after starting something which i am so passionate about. Even though, i will still be able to continue my online coaching whilst working as a product manager, i am not sure whether the adcoms will buy the story, assuming that they are willing to look beyond my age.

Post MBA goals/employability -
My long term personal goal is to settle in Europe or Canada. I assume, if i continue to work in India, chances of me being able to immigrate to Europe or Canada based just on my Indian work experience are slim. Also it is quite rare, for an Indian executive to move up the ladder by being part of an Indian subsidiary of a MNC, to become a Global or Regional head of a MNC.

I also have been limited in my exposure to international markets/consumers in Consumer electronics, even though i worked for the top companies in the Industry (e.g. Samsung, etc.).

My career goal is to work in the European or Canadian market, in a Sales & Marketing role for the Samsungs, Bosch's, Haier's etc. or a company that is into fitness related gadgets (e.g. fitbit). Not limiting myself to just that but also branch out in health & wellnes related home applicances (air purifiers, etc.) & digital products related to fitness. I anticipate a huge surge of fitness related products, in the coming years, as the awareness of fitness & lifestyle related ailments increases. I think combined with my experience & an MBA from a globally recognized school, will also make me suitable for a position with Online retailers (e.g. Amazon) to manage one of their consumer electronics/health gadget products.

An international MBA will help open doors for me to be a part of Global teams & work on a larger scale of operations.

My goal is to eventually work in a leadership position for a firm, marketing & selling consumer electronics/health gadgets. I also plan/hope to stay in the fitness business through part time online coaching as long as I can.

I think my experience & stories will be valuable to any MBA class that i join, hopefully i will be able to convince the adcoms about that.

I hope it gives a more colorful picture now, though there are still plenty of bits of my story that can still be fitted in, well thats the advantage of being old i guess.

Also, is it worth while to look at 1 year MBA options in the US (MSx, etc.)? although not really keen on Exec MBA, primarily since most do not support Visa & job placements. Eventually i want to settle in Canada or Europe, an EMBA will not be a great option to achieve that.

I understand if you consider not to put more efforts into evaluating further, I really appreciate the inputs provided earlier. I would also love to utilize the tools on Applicant Lab, I know you didn't try to sell me those, but kudos for creating such a great tool, I look forward to thoroughly using it to fix as much as I can my lame old profile :)

ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi Mr. Todd -- as you seem to be aware, you're a pretty unconventional candidate, and thus my advice for you is going to be pretty unconventional as well. In this video, I found myself (the more and more I read your query) feeling a bit more like a life coach than an MBA Admissions Coach :)

Watch my video here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-profile-review-indian-citizen-age-39-fitness-kick-boxing-coach/

(Also, I refer to the "AdCom Hierarchy of Needs" in this video, which you can read more about here: MBA Admissions Committees Have Needs; Do You Meet Those Needs?")

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there MrTodd !

While I certainly appreciate your resilience through all of this, a few quick things -- you should reach out to Canadian programs that offer pre-application candidacy reviews (after you have written a strong resume, of course) and see what they think.

Also, if it was a layoff, please call it a "layoff", do not try to sugar-coat it by calling it a "sabbatical", which implies that you left voluntarily.

If you really do want a shot of getting into any business school, I still think that the odds may be against you unless you tell a very compelling story --- also, you will absolutely have to take that corporate job again.

At this point, I'd advise reaching out to schools and casting a wide net with primarily Canadian programs, since their visa policies are much more generous than the US or, from what I can understand, the EU.

Thank you!,
Maria

MrTodd wrote:
Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for the honest evaluation!! really appreciate the time you spent doing an in depth analysis & giving real advice!!

Also love the idea that you used a video to reply & not just type one out :)

Totally buy your point of view & insights, and i would suggest the same to myself if i was asked to evaluate myself.

However i feel that my profile is not totally one dimensional as it seems, it has more depth as far as my Post MBA goals & employability & nature of my current business is concerned. Let me allow you to elaborate a bit further, will appreciate if you can provide further inputs. I know it would get boring for you to evaluate the same profile again, i will try my best to make it sound cooler :)

Reason to leave Corporate Job - Lay Off!! yes, because of the demonetisation drive which the Indian government had in 2016, the company that i was working for lost a significant amount of business revenue. My department was dissolved & I along with my colleague & supervisor were laid off. Up untill then I was in a mid managerial role leading a team of 6 business analyts (my best job role till date from pov of leadership).

Post lay off, the industry still being in a slump (trust me i tried my best to find a job asap), i did a bit of soul searching (post a short road trip across rural India) & made a decision to start on my own. Since i had been involved in the fitness industry (competing/coaching) using it as a part time stream of revenue throughout my career in coporate, It came as a natural way forward for me to expand my existing part time venture to a full time venture. The decision was partly out of necessity (needed a steady income generator in the months following lay off) & partly due to my passion for Coaching (not just fitness, i also have previously dabbled in being a Guitar tutor)

To give you a brief idea of my business, it involves Online coaching(major portion of business), Personal training/Injury rehab, Kick boxing/Taekwondo coaching(mostly to kids/teenagers) & Bodybuilding contest prep. You can use the analogy of any Self employed business owner (GMAT tutor/boutique admission consultant/CA/Artist/etc.) to understand the nature of business.

I had been doing Diets/Workout Plans for my colleagues & supervisors, while i was working in coporate, often times for free. I eventually converted most of these clients to paid clients, while further expanding by getting in touch with all my previous colleagues & university classmates (most in their mid 30's & unhealthy, who were very well aware of my university level powerlifting wins). I had a great response & the business took off good.

Next i extensively used Social media (Facebook & Instagram) to reach out to a lot of the younger clientele, specific to bodybuilding/fitness. Since i had been featured in a fitness magazine as well as won numerous local bodybuilding shows, also in addition to the growing popularity of fitness & in general to look good (thanks to Bollywood/media), acquiring clients for Online coaching wasn't that hard.

I also collaborated with local dieticians/chiropractors/health clubs, which further has helped in gaining clients, especially the HNI clients (Named brand owners/indutrialists), whom i exclusively stick to Personal training/Injury rehab. Also referral played a huge part, as a good word of mouth helped build my credibility.

In terms of managing my own business, it does involve elements of marketing my service (both online & offline), price offering, differentiating my service as a premium offering, managing client progress for long term engagement & providing measurable results. Though the business may not involve using management tools to achive results, the fundamentals are still the same to generate revenue & earn profit.

To sum it up, the business keeps me busy with daily client trainings & on weekends with weekly online client checkins. The only limitation is the number of hours I can physically put in or i am willing to put in.

Now the question is why leave all of this & why MBA now?

As i already mentioned i am 38, right now, although still in great shape & easily pass off as a 20 something year old, thanks to years of training & good diet (no alcohol/smoking). However, Fitness is still a young man's game, it is a very "looks" oriented field, dare i say a glamourous field, similar on the lines of cosmetic/makeup industry. Eventually father time will take over & it will become a hard sell, as young bucks would easily replace me. Even though knowledge & experience matter, but my philosphy is leading by example.

The motto of my business has always been customised/tailored service, which is the main reason for me to not launch my own website (to go for mass) & give out a cookie cutter service, which is one size fits all. I only work with a limited number of clients at a time, so that i can gaurantee results to them. It has been always Quality over Quantity. This approach is what has built my credibilty.

As much as i love fitness, i equally love to be a part of an organisation, particularly the Consumer Electronics Industry. My past experience has been with Samsungs & the like, and i absolutely love the corporate culture. The new role as a Product manager gives me a great opportunity to do something which i always had aspired to do while i was in corporate. The only contention i have is does my story look good to an Adcom, of switching back to corporate, after starting something which i am so passionate about. Even though, i will still be able to continue my online coaching whilst working as a product manager, i am not sure whether the adcoms will buy the story, assuming that they are willing to look beyond my age.

Post MBA goals/employability -
My long term personal goal is to settle in Europe or Canada. I assume, if i continue to work in India, chances of me being able to immigrate to Europe or Canada based just on my Indian work experience are slim. Also it is quite rare, for an Indian executive to move up the ladder by being part of an Indian subsidiary of a MNC, to become a Global or Regional head of a MNC.

I also have been limited in my exposure to international markets/consumers in Consumer electronics, even though i worked for the top companies in the Industry (e.g. Samsung, etc.).

My career goal is to work in the European or Canadian market, in a Sales & Marketing role for the Samsungs, Bosch's, Haier's etc. or a company that is into fitness related gadgets (e.g. fitbit). Not limiting myself to just that but also branch out in health & wellnes related home applicances (air purifiers, etc.) & digital products related to fitness. I anticipate a huge surge of fitness related products, in the coming years, as the awareness of fitness & lifestyle related ailments increases. I think combined with my experience & an MBA from a globally recognized school, will also make me suitable for a position with Online retailers (e.g. Amazon) to manage one of their consumer electronics/health gadget products.

An international MBA will help open doors for me to be a part of Global teams & work on a larger scale of operations.

My goal is to eventually work in a leadership position for a firm, marketing & selling consumer electronics/health gadgets. I also plan/hope to stay in the fitness business through part time online coaching as long as I can.

I think my experience & stories will be valuable to any MBA class that i join, hopefully i will be able to convince the adcoms about that.

I hope it gives a more colorful picture now, though there are still plenty of bits of my story that can still be fitted in, well thats the advantage of being old i guess.

Also, is it worth while to look at 1 year MBA options in the US (MSx, etc.)? although not really keen on Exec MBA, primarily since most do not support Visa & job placements. Eventually i want to settle in Canada or Europe, an EMBA will not be a great option to achieve that.

I understand if you consider not to put more efforts into evaluating further, I really appreciate the inputs provided earlier. I would also love to utilize the tools on Applicant Lab, I know you didn't try to sell me those, but kudos for creating such a great tool, I look forward to thoroughly using it to fix as much as I can my lame old profile :)

ApplicantLab wrote:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there HarshBazooka!

I created a video with my thoughts on your profile here: https://www.applicantlab.com/blog/mba-profile-review-indian-candidate-710-marketing-analyst-credit-card-industry/

Thank you!

HarshBazooka wrote:
Hi Maria,

Great job with the platform. I have taken trial version and I am super impressed. Can you please review my profile and suggest me some insights? Its urgent so a quick response is appreciated.

Undergraduate

B.Tech. in Industrial Engineering. Non IIT/Non NIT. First Class with Distinction. 79% - Academic Excellence Award. Top 3 in class of 75.
Student Clubs and Activities: Entrepreneurship Club, Alumni Co-ordinator, First Team Basketball Player for both my school and my university, Best Athlete in inter-university athletics meet.

Additional Certifications

CFA, USA - Cleared all three levels in first attempt with more than 90th percentile in level 3 exam
National Institute of Securities Market - Certified Research Analyst with specialization in Financial Markets

GMAT:

710 ( Q50, V35, IR8). This is second attempt. Earlier was 690. I scored 770 and 760 in Mocks leading upto the exam. Super disappointed with current score. If I retake the exam then I will probably miss out on Cornell's and NYU's 15th Nov Deadline. Thoughts?

Work Experience:

Total 4 years.

June'18 - Current - Assistant Manager at Citi - Role is mixture of Business Finance and Data Analytics. Fastest Promotion (even before the mandatory 18 month rule at Citi - Top rated Employee)
Forecasted financials of North America Credit Card Portfolio worth ~$2 Billion in Annual Revenue by collaborating with Business Partners across geographies
Optimized investment decisions and Promotional offers to reduce promo balance by $1.5 Billion
Reengineered quarterly Marketing Budget Optimization to allocate ~$240MM budget effectively
Involved in multiple activities that can reflect leadership potential - Reverse Mentoring ( Mentoring SVPs and Directors), HR Analytics (Helping HR team better plan Learning and development strategy)

Jan'17 -May'18 - Senior Analyst at Citi in Data Science - Marketing Analytics
Redefined Direct Mail Targeting Strategy to increase acquisition by 30% and EBIT by $6 Million
Developed Business case for a new Credit Card product that is currently live in US Market
Implemented and leveraged insights from Actuals vs Forecast to improve Forecasting accuracy by 15%
Recognized as ‘Superstar’ in Q4’2017 for driving cross team collaboration
Awarded ‘Quarterly Excellence Award’ at all India level in Q3’17 for Innovation and Automation

Nov'16 - Dec'17 - Quant Analyst - Mu Sigma (World’s largest provider of analytics and data science solutions) - Solving Problems for multiple Fortune 500 clients. Significant client exposure.
Realized incremental revenue of ~$200 M through improved cross-selling for a Fortune 100 Tech giant
Reduced fraud by 20% to improve CSAT from Neutral to Satisfied for Fotune 300 e-commerce giant
Reduced Inventory pileup by 8% for world’s 10th largest steel manufacturer by predictive modeling
Developed Data Science implementation roadmap for 3 Fortune 500 companies

Post MBA Goals:

Lead Data Analytics and Data Science Teams at Fortune 500 (Banking preferred). Explore possibilities of leveraging Data Science in PE/IB to value companies.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR

Sports: National Level Basketball Player, Best Athlete in inter-college Atheltics meet.
Interests: Organizing 15-30-45 day meditation retreats and sessions, Certified Yoga Instructor
Volunteer Experience: NIWCYD (Microfinance) - Developed bank linkages & Financial management guidelines for self-help groups. MAD (Make a Difference) - Training soft skills and English to underprivileged children of my city
Online Courses: Quant Modeling & Accounting (Wharton), Business Metrics for Data Driven Companies (Duke), Analytics Edge (MIT)

My target schools are Booth,Tuck, Stern, Insead, Anderson, Tepper, Haas, LBS, CBS, and Johnson. I understand some of these schools are over ambitious.

Questions:

1) Do I have realistic chance for any school? OR we can only talk after a GMAT of 740 for each of these schools?
2) Am I missing any school that would be a better fit given my profile?
3) Would Adcoms consider this a typical Indian Male Engineer profile or this profile stands out?
4) I can't write GMAT again before Cornell's and NYU's 15th Nov deadline. Should I apply with this profile?
5) I have Application fee waivers from Rice, UNC and USC Marshall. Should i apply there as a backup/practice or it will be just waste of time and energy?

Please Note- I am on a 15 day trip with family in first half of November so writing or preparing for GMAT is out of question at that time
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you SO much for this update, Amaranth! :)

I'm THRILLED that with ApplicantLab you got BETTER admissions results this year than what you had gotten last year (though I am indeed sorry to hear that the high-priced consultant wasn't worth it. I wish I could say that this is an uncommon complaint, but in my line of work, I'm afraid that I hear stories like this all of the time).

While others in this field try to optimize their businesses to maximize revenue, I simply can't take someone's money for a service when I *know* that the Lab will provide the answers. My mission is to make the BEST possible advice available for the BEST value for money -- that is, to give advice that I could otherwise easily charge $10,000+ for and instead provide it via my interactive exercises and video lessons. (Sure, there might be slightly cheaper consulting alternatives out there, but just like I often hear complaints about high-priced consultants not being worth it, I also often hear cautionary tales about "you get what you pay for" re: the super-low-end firms).

CONGRATS to you for NOT GIVING UP last year, and for taking a chance on the Lab. I'm honored to have played a part in your success story this time around! :)

Cheers,
Maria

Amaranth wrote:
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post an update here after using ApplicantLab for the past few months. Hopefully this will help people who are on the fence about buying the platform and future applicants.

To give you some context, I applied to a bunch of schools last year with the help of a traditional admissions consultant. I ended up with a total of 8 rejections (7 without interview, 1 after interview & waitlist). The bad part of my profile - Indian, male, 4.5 years of work experience. No great brand names or real feeder companies on my resume. Fairly mediocre grades for an Indian (6.6ish GPA). The good part - Slightly diverse work experience and background, lots of ECs and community involvement.

After I was rejected last year, I contacted Maria and offered to pay her for a "ding analysis." I had already bought the tool, but figured a ding analysis would help me figure out what went wrong. Maria responded to my email and refused. She said that I should go through all the modules, and I'll be able to figure out exactly why I was dinged. She said that if I couldn't, I could get back in touch and pay her to get it, but she didn't believe I would need it if I finished the modules within the Lab. She was right. I not only figured out where my application fell flat last year, but also knew exactly what parts of my background to highlight this time around. The Lab has a section on how to address potential weaknesses (I obviously had a lot! :) ). Additionally, the career module of the Lab is pure gold. It really forces you to think through your story, how realistic your goals are and what you want out of business school. I'd say that my entire narrative going into applications this year was due to the career module on the Lab. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

I haven't even touched on the school-specific advice/resume advice and interview modules, but its obvious just how much ApplicantLab helped me. If my traditional consultant had made me think through my story as much as ApplicantLab, I probably would've avoided the heartbreak of rejections last year. Every essay question has a video from Maria letting you know how to approach it and what information is important. The resume section really improved the quality of my resume this year, I even had a few comments from family friends and acquaintances about how strong it looked. And the best part is, I got all this at a fraction of the price of a traditional consultant.

I will post a more detailed debrief and review at the end of application season, but hopefully this will help R2 candidates who are on the fence about signing up with ApplicantLab. Buying it is a no-brainer if you want world-class application help without the heavy price tag.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
27-year-old American, a dual citizen of Thailand
Graduated from a top 20 university - accounting and finance major 3.5 GPA | Have my CPA license
5 years WE - 1.5 years in Public Accounting, 3.5 years in M&A Consulting
Have two board seats and very active in my local community | I am a Leadership & Philanthropy fellow of a well-known organization
319 GRE (161Q 157V) - have taken it twice, plan on retaking in December

Applied ED to CBS and was denied...now considering Anderson, Duke, Kellogg

What are my chances?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16