Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.89
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

Can you please review my profile and suggest me some insights? Its urgent so a quick response is appreciated.

26 Year Male Indian.

Undergraduate

B.Tech. in Industrial Engineering. Non IIT/Non NIT.
First Class with Distinction. 79% - Academic Excellence Award. Top 3 in class of 75.
Student Clubs and Activities: Entrepreneurship Club, Alumni Co-ordinator, First Team Basketball Player for both my school and my university, Best Athlete in inter-university athletics meet.

Additional Certifications

CFA, USA - Cleared all three levels in first attempt with more than 90th percentile in level 3 exam
National Institute of Securities Market - Certified Research Analyst with specialization in Financial Markets

GMAT:

710 ( Q50, V35, IR8). This is second attempt. Earlier was 690. I scored 770 and 760 in Mocks leading upto the exam.
Super disappointed with current score. If I retake the exam then I will probably miss out on NYU's 15th Nov Deadline. Thoughts?

Work Experience:

Total 4 years.

June'18 - Current - Assistant Manager at Citi - Role is mixture of Business Finance and Data Analytics.
Fastest Promotion (even before the mandatory 18 month rule at Citi - Top rated Employee)

[*]Forecasted financials of North America Credit Card Portfolio worth ~$2 Billion in Annual Revenue by collaborating with Business Partners across geographies
[*]Optimized investment decisions and Promotional offers to reduce promo balance by $1.5 Billion
[*]Reengineered quarterly Marketing Budget Optimization to allocate ~$240MM budget effectively
[*]Involved in multiple activities that can reflect leadership potential - Reverse Mentoring ( Mentoring SVPs and Directors), HR Analytics (Helping HR team better plan Learning and development strategy)

Jan'17 -May'18 - Senior Analyst at Citi in Data Science - Marketing Analytics
[*]Redefined Direct Mail Targeting Strategy to increase acquisition by 30% and EBIT by $6 Million
[*]Developed Business case for a new Credit Card product that is currently live in US Market
[*]Implemented and leveraged insights from Actuals vs Forecast to improve Forecasting accuracy by 15%
[*]Recognized as ‘Superstar’ in Q4’2017 for driving cross team collaboration
[*]Awarded ‘Quarterly Excellence Award’ at all India level in Q3’17 for Innovation and Automation

Nov'16 - Dec'17 - Quant Analyst - Mu Sigma (World’s largest provider of analytics and data science solutions) - Solving Problems for multiple Fortune 500 clients. Significant client exposure.
[*]Realized incremental revenue of ~$200 M through improved cross-selling for a Fortune 100 Tech giant
[*]Reduced fraud by 20% to improve CSAT from Neutral to Satisfied for Fotune 300 e-commerce giant
[*]Reduced Inventory pileup by 8% for world’s 10th largest steel manufacturer by predictive modeling
[*]Developed Data Science implementation roadmap for 3 Fortune 500 companies

Post MBA Goals:

Lead Data Analytics and Data Science Teams at Fortune 500 (Banking preferred). Explore possibilities of leveraging Data Science in PE/IB to value companies.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR

[*]Sports: National Level Basketball Player, Best Athlete in inter-college Atheltics meet.
[*]Interests: Organizing 15-30-45 day meditation retreats and sessions, Certified Yoga Instructor
[*]Volunteer Experience: NIWCYD (Microfinance) - Developed bank linkages & Financial management guidelines for self-help groups. MAD (Make a Difference) - Training soft skills and English to underprivileged children of my city
[*]Online Courses: Quant Modeling & Accounting (Wharton), Business Metrics for Data Driven Companies (Duke), Analytics Edge (MIT)

Questions:

1) Do I have realistic chance for NYU? OR we can only talk after a GMAT of 740?
2) Would Adcoms consider this a typical Indian Male Engineer profile or this profile stands out?
3) I can't write GMAT again before NYU's 15th Nov deadline. Should I apply with this profile? OR apply in Jan Round?

Please Note- I am on a 15 day trip with family in first half of November so writing or preparing for GMAT is out of question at that time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality 31/M/White (US - NY, NY)

Undergrad Information: US Top 30 US News & World Report - Econ/Drama (3.8 GPA - Phi Beta Kappa)

GMAT: 700 44Q/41V/7IR (currently studying for a retake - goal of 720+ with 48+ Q)

Work experience and leadership: 8 years working on the business side of Broadway Theater. Currently working in the finance department for America's oldest professional theatre company. We also own a plurality of the Broadway theaters. Specifically, I work in the division that handles group and business-to-business discount ticket sales.

My current title is junior accountant. Primary responsibilities include:
-Own the entire aging process for ~50 b2b AR clients, totaling ~$1.1 million in monthly sales
-Manage and resolve any discrepancies related to commission income (~$150K/week) for all Broadway/off-Broadway ticket sales
-Reconcile internal reports against 3rd party ticketing system and advise accounting department regarding coding for ~$650K in weekly sales
-Coordinated with the operations manager to redesign the entire reconciliation process, reducing the time taken to get reports to accounting by two full business days.

Additionally, my recommenders will be able to speak to the stability I brought to my current position, including establishing new reconciliation schedules and checks and balances procedures. The department was being restructured during my hiring, and I had 4 supervisors over the span of ~2 years.

Community and others:
Various service projects with NYC alumni group
Independently learning python for data science (put on hold due to GMAT retake)
Improv student
Beginner rock climber & active member of local recreational sports league
Won an acting award for my performance in a friend's submission to a playwriting festival
Academic interests in behavioral psychology/behavioral economics

Post MBA goals:
Insights/Analytics, ideally in the media/entertainment or tech industries. I want to blend my interests in behavior and decision sciences with my skills in storytelling to help guide businesses to better meet consumers needs.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey All,

Would appreciate having my profile evaluated for Stern

Nationality: US
Undergrad: 3.0 from top 10 US undergrad B-school. Double major in Finance and Real Estate
GMAT: Just took it and scored a 610 (39Q/35V), prompting me to re-evaluate my schools. Will be retaking it in a month and aiming for 680 or better. After not having sat for a test in 4+ years I definitely had some cobwebs
WE: 4.5 years at an affordable housing financing firm with a national footprint. We provide equity for low income housing development and preservation and then syndicate the corresponding tax credits to large financial institutions, multi-nationals, pension funds and insurance groups. Started as a junior analyst in Acquisitions and am now AVP of Acquisitions, overseeing a team of 3 analyst and managing all transactions for our 5 acquisition officers, totaling between $300M-$400M in equity placed annually.
Community: Leader of my Undergad's RE Alumni group in Los Angeles. Talk with a lot of students looking for jobs/interships, putting them in contact with other grads out here and publish quarterly updates about members notable events. Not much outside of that (unless you count affordable housing network groups as such)

Other factors: My company is making a big push for me to stay on-board, whether through me deferring my MBA for a few years and then sending me to an executive program or having me do a part time program now. We have offices across the country so I can relocate to any major city if I decide this route. The end goal with the MBA is to either move to a more traditional RE PE group (something I have been going after for years but am regularly passed over in favor of more 'traditional' candidates) or to have the ability to be a major player (i.e. management) at my current firm. I am cognizant of the fact that everybody on the board has either an MBA or a JD and I've seen good people leave because they reached that door without having additional education and it wasn't opened for them.

Any and all advice is appreciated

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all,

I’d love a profile review. I’ll keetry it short but essentially the question is whether I have enough work experience?

GMAT: 720
Work experience: 2.5 years at matriculation in big 4 audit. Lots of additional to add as I am a high performing associate but no promotions as of yet. Additional experience as a director on quite a substantial not for profit.

Do I apply now or wait? My goals are to transition to management consulting.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for writing! I recommend waiting until Round 1 next year to get that promotion - there are a good number of Big 4 people who apply, so you want to make sure you're as strong an applicant as possible and that you've given enough time to reflect on your goals. Hope that helps!

Ari18 wrote:
Hey all,

I’d love a profile review. I’ll keetry it short but essentially the question is whether I have enough work experience?

GMAT: 720
Work experience: 2.5 years at matriculation in big 4 audit. Lots of additional to add as I am a high performing associate but no promotions as of yet. Additional experience as a director on quite a substantial not for profit.

Do I apply now or wait? My goals are to transition to management consulting.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! Hmm, this is tough - it's not that you don't have a chance with NYU, but it is really competitive for Indian applicants. If you think you can raise the score to 740+, you might wait until January (and then if it doesn't work out, Round 1 next year). If you're not confident you can raise the score anyway, apply in mid-November but only IF you have enough time to put together very strong essays/resume - with your travels, it sounds like it would be tough. Bottom line is: apply when your application is as strong as it can be. Hope that helps!

HarshBazooka wrote:
Hi,

Can you please review my profile and suggest me some insights? Its urgent so a quick response is appreciated.

26 Year Male Indian.

Undergraduate

B.Tech. in Industrial Engineering. Non IIT/Non NIT.
First Class with Distinction. 79% - Academic Excellence Award. Top 3 in class of 75.
Student Clubs and Activities: Entrepreneurship Club, Alumni Co-ordinator, First Team Basketball Player for both my school and my university, Best Athlete in inter-university athletics meet.

Additional Certifications

CFA, USA - Cleared all three levels in first attempt with more than 90th percentile in level 3 exam
National Institute of Securities Market - Certified Research Analyst with specialization in Financial Markets

GMAT:

710 ( Q50, V35, IR8). This is second attempt. Earlier was 690. I scored 770 and 760 in Mocks leading upto the exam.
Super disappointed with current score. If I retake the exam then I will probably miss out on NYU's 15th Nov Deadline. Thoughts?

Work Experience:

Total 4 years.

June'18 - Current - Assistant Manager at Citi - Role is mixture of Business Finance and Data Analytics.
Fastest Promotion (even before the mandatory 18 month rule at Citi - Top rated Employee)

[*]Forecasted financials of North America Credit Card Portfolio worth ~$2 Billion in Annual Revenue by collaborating with Business Partners across geographies
[*]Optimized investment decisions and Promotional offers to reduce promo balance by $1.5 Billion
[*]Reengineered quarterly Marketing Budget Optimization to allocate ~$240MM budget effectively
[*]Involved in multiple activities that can reflect leadership potential - Reverse Mentoring ( Mentoring SVPs and Directors), HR Analytics (Helping HR team better plan Learning and development strategy)

Jan'17 -May'18 - Senior Analyst at Citi in Data Science - Marketing Analytics
[*]Redefined Direct Mail Targeting Strategy to increase acquisition by 30% and EBIT by $6 Million
[*]Developed Business case for a new Credit Card product that is currently live in US Market
[*]Implemented and leveraged insights from Actuals vs Forecast to improve Forecasting accuracy by 15%
[*]Recognized as ‘Superstar’ in Q4’2017 for driving cross team collaboration
[*]Awarded ‘Quarterly Excellence Award’ at all India level in Q3’17 for Innovation and Automation

Nov'16 - Dec'17 - Quant Analyst - Mu Sigma (World’s largest provider of analytics and data science solutions) - Solving Problems for multiple Fortune 500 clients. Significant client exposure.
[*]Realized incremental revenue of ~$200 M through improved cross-selling for a Fortune 100 Tech giant
[*]Reduced fraud by 20% to improve CSAT from Neutral to Satisfied for Fotune 300 e-commerce giant
[*]Reduced Inventory pileup by 8% for world’s 10th largest steel manufacturer by predictive modeling
[*]Developed Data Science implementation roadmap for 3 Fortune 500 companies

Post MBA Goals:

Lead Data Analytics and Data Science Teams at Fortune 500 (Banking preferred). Explore possibilities of leveraging Data Science in PE/IB to value companies.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR

[*]Sports: National Level Basketball Player, Best Athlete in inter-college Atheltics meet.
[*]Interests: Organizing 15-30-45 day meditation retreats and sessions, Certified Yoga Instructor
[*]Volunteer Experience: NIWCYD (Microfinance) - Developed bank linkages & Financial management guidelines for self-help groups. MAD (Make a Difference) - Training soft skills and English to underprivileged children of my city
[*]Online Courses: Quant Modeling & Accounting (Wharton), Business Metrics for Data Driven Companies (Duke), Analytics Edge (MIT)

Questions:

1) Do I have realistic chance for NYU? OR we can only talk after a GMAT of 740?
2) Would Adcoms consider this a typical Indian Male Engineer profile or this profile stands out?
3) I can't write GMAT again before NYU's 15th Nov deadline. Should I apply with this profile? OR apply in Jan Round?

Please Note- I am on a 15 day trip with family in first half of November so writing or preparing for GMAT is out of question at that time.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! Given how competitive Stern is, it's good that you're planning to retake GMAT. Your strength as a candidate will depend on the progression you've made in your 8 years of work experience (the more experience one has, the more impact the AdCom expects) but the work experience is distinctive. Also, do any of your current activities involve leadership roles? This would strengthen your application as well.

Hope this helps as a start - if you'd like to discuss further, you can sign up for a free 30-min consultation here: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

ajowen21 wrote:
Background and nationality 31/M/White (US - NY, NY)

Undergrad Information: US Top 30 US News & World Report - Econ/Drama (3.8 GPA - Phi Beta Kappa)

GMAT: 700 44Q/41V/7IR (currently studying for a retake - goal of 720+ with 48+ Q)

Work experience and leadership: 8 years working on the business side of Broadway Theater. Currently working in the finance department for America's oldest professional theatre company. We also own a plurality of the Broadway theaters. Specifically, I work in the division that handles group and business-to-business discount ticket sales.

My current title is junior accountant. Primary responsibilities include:
-Own the entire aging process for ~50 b2b AR clients, totaling ~$1.1 million in monthly sales
-Manage and resolve any discrepancies related to commission income (~$150K/week) for all Broadway/off-Broadway ticket sales
-Reconcile internal reports against 3rd party ticketing system and advise accounting department regarding coding for ~$650K in weekly sales
-Coordinated with the operations manager to redesign the entire reconciliation process, reducing the time taken to get reports to accounting by two full business days.

Additionally, my recommenders will be able to speak to the stability I brought to my current position, including establishing new reconciliation schedules and checks and balances procedures. The department was being restructured during my hiring, and I had 4 supervisors over the span of ~2 years.

Community and others:
Various service projects with NYC alumni group
Independently learning python for data science (put on hold due to GMAT retake)
Improv student
Beginner rock climber & active member of local recreational sports league
Won an acting award for my performance in a friend's submission to a playwriting festival
Academic interests in behavioral psychology/behavioral economics

Post MBA goals:
Insights/Analytics, ideally in the media/entertainment or tech industries. I want to blend my interests in behavior and decision sciences with my skills in storytelling to help guide businesses to better meet consumers needs.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there - thanks for writing! You have very progressive work experience and good extracurriculars. Given your academics (which are below the average of full-time Stern MBA entrants) and that your company wants you to stay on, I'd strongly consider the part-time program. Let me know if you'd like to discuss further! https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

btobias1 wrote:
Hey All,

Would appreciate having my profile evaluated for Stern

Nationality: US
Undergrad: 3.0 from top 10 US undergrad B-school. Double major in Finance and Real Estate
GMAT: Just took it and scored a 610 (39Q/35V), prompting me to re-evaluate my schools. Will be retaking it in a month and aiming for 680 or better. After not having sat for a test in 4+ years I definitely had some cobwebs
WE: 4.5 years at an affordable housing financing firm with a national footprint. We provide equity for low income housing development and preservation and then syndicate the corresponding tax credits to large financial institutions, multi-nationals, pension funds and insurance groups. Started as a junior analyst in Acquisitions and am now AVP of Acquisitions, overseeing a team of 3 analyst and managing all transactions for our 5 acquisition officers, totaling between $300M-$400M in equity placed annually.
Community: Leader of my Undergad's RE Alumni group in Los Angeles. Talk with a lot of students looking for jobs/interships, putting them in contact with other grads out here and publish quarterly updates about members notable events. Not much outside of that (unless you count affordable housing network groups as such)

Other factors: My company is making a big push for me to stay on-board, whether through me deferring my MBA for a few years and then sending me to an executive program or having me do a part time program now. We have offices across the country so I can relocate to any major city if I decide this route. The end goal with the MBA is to either move to a more traditional RE PE group (something I have been going after for years but am regularly passed over in favor of more 'traditional' candidates) or to have the ability to be a major player (i.e. management) at my current firm. I am cognizant of the fact that everybody on the board has either an MBA or a JD and I've seen good people leave because they reached that door without having additional education and it wasn't opened for them.

Any and all advice is appreciated

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I would really love to attend Stern, but I'm wondering if I can build a competitive application with my GMAT Score, 710 (44Q/42V). I've taken the GMAT 3 times, and I always score 42 or 44 on both sections, so my highest in both would be 44Q and 44V. I can score around 46Q on some practice tests, but I'm not sure I could improve my quant without a tutor.

I've included some various stats that might help below. Could anyone speak to my competitiveness as a candidate? My goal is to career advance within consulting, specifically in Strategy & Analytics.

I have a CPA license (inactive), and have 5 years of work experience in various functions of the Big 4:

KPMG: Risk Analytics (tracing data points for large banks), 2 yrs
Deloitte: Internal Corporate Development (creating business cases and facilitating internal Deloitte M&A activity), 2 yrs
Deloitte: S&O, M&A Consulting (operational due diligence, merger integration), 1yr
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
eyerushh wrote:
I would really love to attend Stern, but I'm wondering if I can build a competitive application with my GMAT Score, 710 (44Q/42V). I've taken the GMAT 3 times, and I always score 42 or 44 on both sections, so my highest in both would be 44Q and 44V. I can score around 46Q on some practice tests, but I'm not sure I could improve my quant without a tutor.

I've included some various stats that might help below. Could anyone speak to my competitiveness as a candidate? My goal is to career advance within consulting, specifically in Strategy & Analytics.

I have a CPA license (inactive), and have 5 years of work experience in various functions of the Big 4:

KPMG: Risk Analytics (tracing data points for large banks), 2 yrs
Deloitte: Internal Corporate Development (creating business cases and facilitating internal Deloitte M&A activity), 2 yrs
Deloitte: S&O, M&A Consulting (operational due diligence, merger integration), 1yr

Given the quantitative nature of your post-MBA career goal, I'd take whatever steps necessary to get that quant score up a little bit. That said, I don't think your current score is a total dealbreaker if you have a strong essay and pick six. It's also probably worthwhile to take however many CPE credits you need to get your CPA license active again, especially if you're at a big 4 with tons of free online trainings for CPE credit available to you.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
Send PM
Hello team,

Could you please help in reviewing my profile if I would like to apply to NYU Stern for a full time MBA program.

24 Year old Indian Male.

My GMAT Score is 710(QA50, VA36,IR 8,AWA 6). I had already given the GMAT once prior to this score in which I scored 650 which I cancelled. I was scoring 730-740 in the mocks leading to my first attempt so I do not think I have the courage to push my score. Please advise.

Educational Qualifications:
Class X: 09.40 CGPA(All subjects)
Class XII: 93%(All Subjects)
B. Com(H) from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata with first division marks(72%)
Chartered Accountant(Nov’16 batch)
Passed 2 levels of the International CFA Program(US)

Work experience:
CA Articleship(3 Years):
My key responsibilities included carrying out statutory and internal audit for clients. I’ve also assisted the firms I have worked for in income tax and companies returning filing as well as accounting work.

Goldman Sachs(April 2017-Present)
Division: Product Control
-> First line of control on the Securities Division of the firm.
-> Daily and weekly financial P&L Reporting and analysis for the Japanese equity derivatives desk.
-> Carrying out price verification procedures in order to ensure the firm’s marks are consistent with the consensus marks.
-> Safeguarding the assets of the firm as well as substantiating P&L drivers to help explain VaR breaches.

Also I am confused whether to apply in January this year or by next year. I would like to start my MBA by latest 2020.

Goals post MBA:

Seeking to pave my way into IB/Trading.

Thanks,
Dhruv

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
N/A

Originally posted by leveragedtothehilt on 19 Nov 2018, 17:20.
Last edited by leveragedtothehilt on 09 Aug 2019, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Dhruv,

Thanks for writing! Given how competitive admission is for Indian applicants, it would be good to give the GMAT another shot to raise it to 730+. Your work experience seems good - did you receive a promotion during your three years in CA Articleship, and do you think you'd get strong recommendations from both employers? The perception of your professional progress will hinge on that. Also, are you involved in any extracurriculars/passions outside of work? If not, waiting another year and starting an activity now may benefit you (and would also give you time to retake GMAT). Hope that helps a little!

DhruvDal wrote:
Hello team,

Could you please help in reviewing my profile if I would like to apply to NYU Stern for a full time MBA program.

24 Year old Indian Male.

My GMAT Score is 710(QA50, VA36,IR 8,AWA 6). I had already given the GMAT once prior to this score in which I scored 650 which I cancelled. I was scoring 730-740 in the mocks leading to my first attempt so I do not think I have the courage to push my score. Please advise.

Educational Qualifications:
Class X: 09.40 CGPA(All subjects)
Class XII: 93%(All Subjects)
B. Com(H) from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata with first division marks(72%)
Chartered Accountant(Nov’16 batch)
Passed 2 levels of the International CFA Program(US)

Work experience:
CA Articleship(3 Years):
My key responsibilities included carrying out statutory and internal audit for clients. I’ve also assisted the firms I have worked for in income tax and companies returning filing as well as accounting work.

Goldman Sachs(April 2017-Present)
Division: Product Control
-> First line of control on the Securities Division of the firm.
-> Daily and weekly financial P&L Reporting and analysis for the Japanese equity derivatives desk.
-> Carrying out price verification procedures in order to ensure the firm’s marks are consistent with the consensus marks.
-> Safeguarding the assets of the firm as well as substantiating P&L drivers to help explain VaR breaches.

Also I am confused whether to apply in January this year or by next year. I would like to start my MBA by latest 2020.

Goals post MBA:

Seeking to pave my way into IB/Trading.

Thanks,
Dhruv

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

I'd a appreciate a profile review! (I also have a specific question that I've asked right at the end.)

Background: 3 years in Risk Management at a large Investment Bank with considerable brand equity; helped save a cumulative sum of $0.5 billion. 2.5 years founding a FinTech start-up, scaling, growing it into a $3M company that saved investors $1M annually and selling it for 5x projected revenues.

Extracurriculars: Published writer, Performer in Broadway-style shows, Non-profit co-founder and CFO

Nationality: Indian

Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: Bachelors of Technology [Engineering; non-Tier1 school]

Age at matriculation: 25

Stats:
GMAT: 760 [Q49 V44]

Undergrad GPA: 66% [~ 3.1/4.0]

MBA Info:
Goal: Early-stage Venture Capital for a few years to work with high-growth tech companies and help them solve problems of scale. FinTech entrepreneurship in the long term. (Already have a sense of what I want to build.)

Applying to: Sloan, Haas, Ross, YSOM, Anderson, Stern (Schools with Entrepreneurship + Finance focus)

Question: I want to select a "safe" school for the sixth slot as I must go next year and can't re-apply the year after. I'm worried Stern isn't a safe "safe" school. Some folks I've spoken to have suggested Cornell since it perfectly aligns with my goals. Others have suggested adding a T-25 school such as USC or Olin but those aren't feeders to the VC industry so won't align with my goal. Hoping to gain some insight regarding my chances at Stern!

Appreciate the help!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have impactful and progressive work experience, and distinctive extracurricular involvement. Your high GMAT will certainly help offset your GPA as well, so I'd say your profile is quite solid overall.

The schools you've chosen make sense given your goals. I'll caution you that there are no "safety" business schools, given the unpredictability of the admissions process. I do think Cornell makes sense to add to your list. Stern does as well, but the tricky thing is that you'd be applying R3, and at that point many spots may already be filled. You might also consider adding Dartmouth Tuck to your list, as well as UVA Darden. However, I wouldn't call them "safe" schools either but you would be casting a wider net within the Top 15-20, which will improve your chances.

I hope that helps a bit! :)

shaarang wrote:
Hi,

I'd a appreciate a profile review! (I also have a specific question that I've asked right at the end.)

Background: 3 years in Risk Management at a large Investment Bank with considerable brand equity; helped save a cumulative sum of $0.5 billion. 2.5 years founding a FinTech start-up, scaling, growing it into a $3M company that saved investors $1M annually and selling it for 5x projected revenues.

Extracurriculars: Published writer, Performer in Broadway-style shows, Non-profit co-founder and CFO

Nationality: Indian

Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: Bachelors of Technology [Engineering; non-Tier1 school]

Age at matriculation: 25

Stats:
GMAT: 760 [Q49 V44]

Undergrad GPA: 66% [~ 3.1/4.0]

MBA Info:
Goal: Early-stage Venture Capital for a few years to work with high-growth tech companies and help them solve problems of scale. FinTech entrepreneurship in the long term. (Already have a sense of what I want to build.)

Applying to: Sloan, Haas, Ross, YSOM, Anderson, Stern (Schools with Entrepreneurship + Finance focus)

Question: I want to select a "safe" school for the sixth slot as I must go next year and can't re-apply the year after. I'm worried Stern isn't a safe "safe" school. Some folks I've spoken to have suggested Cornell since it perfectly aligns with my goals. Others have suggested adding a T-25 school such as USC or Olin but those aren't feeders to the VC industry so won't align with my goal. Hoping to gain some insight regarding my chances at Stern!

Appreciate the help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Would request you to please evaluate my profile. Planning to apply for the R3 deadline in January 2019.

Nationality: Indian Male, Commerce graduate, Bachelor of Business Adminstration. Will be 32 years old at time of matriculaiton.

Undergrad percentage: 61% from University of Mumbai

Post graduate diploma in Management: 4.3/7

Gmat score: 700 (planning to retake the test by December '18 end)

Work experience total 7 years, will be 8 by matriculation: 2 years in KPO, 5 years in Banking operations. I started as management trainee and later was the Senior Analyst for Trade operations in corporate banking. After that I moved into commercial banking as a team leader and eventually became Assistant Manager managing a team of 8 for credit card payments, financial instruments clearing and doorstep banking activities. I've also been instrumental in the development of an online tracking system for banking deliverables to customers.

Extra curriculars: Organising and leading CSR and other corporate events at my workplaces. Have also volunteered at an NGO for mentoring underpriveleged children

Post MBA goals: Transition from banking to management consulting providing operational consulting for financial institutions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
Hi all! Do I stand a chance at Stern (Full-Time Program + Andre Koo Tech Program)?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be very strong
- Letters of recommendation likely above-average strength
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11