Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [82]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [10]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [8]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [1]
Send PM
Re: The law requires all Jordanian banks to provide any information or sta [#permalink]
Kudos
NiharikaR wrote:
Law requires X and stipulates Y

Each X is singular. but requires is a subjunctive verb. Hence the use of plural verb, provide

Hi .
Yeah.I could figure out the questions is testing Subjunctive. My query is why C incorrect
The law requires that all Jordanian banks provide ..... and all Jordanian banks stipulate penalties for non compliance.
Why Jordanian banks can not be the one stipulating penalties. How to decide between Law requires and stipulates and The Jordanian banks provide and stipulate?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
Re: The law requires all Jordanian banks to provide any information or sta [#permalink]
Kudos
sandysilva wrote:
NiharikaR wrote:

Each X is singular. but requires is a subjunctive verb. Hence the use of plural verb, provide

Hi .
Yeah.I could figure out the questions is testing Subjunctive. My query is why C incorrect
The law requires that all Jordanian banks provide ..... and all Jordanian banks stipulate penalties for non compliance.
Why Jordanian banks can not be the one stipulating penalties. How to decide between Law requires and stipulates and The Jordanian banks provide and stipulate?

For that u need to understand the meaning of the sentence.
Meaning: Law requires banks to agree on X and stipulates penalties if banks fail to do so
Banks won't demand penalties on themselves
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.59
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
E) The law requires that each Jordanian banks provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulates penalties for non compliance.

I don't think the phrase each Jordanian banks can be correct. It should be each Jordanian bank, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Send PM
Gatoreagle72 wrote:
E) The law requires that each Jordanian banks provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulates penalties for non compliance.

I don't think the phrase each Jordanian banks can be correct. It should be each Jordanian bank, right?

Hi. It was a typo error. Thanks for pointing out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sandysilva - What's the OA? Can you recheck if there is any typo in usage of each Jordanian banks in option E. It should be each Jordanian bank.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Send PM
NiharikaR wrote:
sandysilva wrote:
NiharikaR wrote:

Hi .

For that u need to understand the meaning of the sentence.
Meaning: Law requires banks to agree on X and stipulates penalties if banks fail to do so
Banks won't demand penalties on themselves

Ohh.! :| Yeah Right.!!! Its clear now.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Can someone please explain why " that " is needed in the sentence ?

Will it be wrong : The law requires each Jordanian bank to provide.........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option C is inferior to option E? I chose C because I was under the assumption that we would need stipulate as opposed to stipulates to carry on the subjunctive mood. Please help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
I have a issue, with E, it says

The law requires that each Jordanian bank provide
Provide here is plural, however the sentence in singular.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Samakshkapoor92 wrote:
I have a issue, with E, it says

The law requires that each Jordanian bank provide
Provide here is plural, however the sentence in singular.

Explanation - First of all " require " is a bossy verb like " demand, stipulate, command". Here the Subjunctive verb comes into play. The verb "require " is subjunctive and hence a subjunctive structure has to be used.

Subjunctive structure - Noun + SUbjunctive verb + that + Subject + plural form of the following verb . Therefore - The law + requires +that + each/all jordanian bank/banks provide(plural).....

Between B and E, comes into play the meaning. Author's intended meaning - The law requires..... and (the law) stipulates.
Option B distorts the meaning. You can figure it out if you understand that the law does the actions, as obviously the law shall impose penalties on the bank for non-compliance and not the banks on themselves.

So E is the right answer. If this wasn't helpful, reply with a particular reason as to what part you do not understand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo

Hi, I was wondering could one of you guys please explain why option C is inferior to option E? I chose C because I was under the assumption that we would need stipulate as opposed to stipulates to carry on the subjunctive mood. Please help!

Hi csaluja

Your problem is in understanding of who stipulates. In this case it is law.

The law requires that ... , and [law] stipulates
To make this clear I would add stylistic comma before and (usualy GMAT does so)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
sandysilva wrote:
The law requires all Jordanian banks to provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulate penalties for non compliance.

A) The law requires all Jordanian banks to provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulate penalties for non compliance.

B) The law requires each Jordanian bank to provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulate penalties for non compliance.

C) The law requires that all Jordanian banks provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulate penalties for non compliance.

D) The law requires that each Jordanian bank provides any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulates penalties for non compliance.

E) The law requires that each Jordanian bank provide any information or statistics that Central Bank of Jordan requests and stipulates penalties for non compliance.

Guys please also provide your reasons. Your reasoning might help me resolve the queries I have.

Subjunctive at work.
D and E use stipulates so can be eliminated.
Each in b is awkward
Bossy verb plus that plus base verb is the correct usage. So, C.
I am not sure though :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Isn't the stipulation of penalties done by banks (rather than law)? Hence, the parallelism in E is not the correct way of looking at this.

I have requested an expert reply.

Confused :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos