Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE:Operations (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Prairie dogs live in tight-knit colonies, called coteries, of roughly [#permalink]
VodkaHelps wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a classic case of "I really don't like the right answer, but I found four wrong answer choices, so... I guess the GMAT doesn't care whether I like anything."

Quote:
(A) of roughly a dozen of them, that consist of several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and their new pups.

All sorts of weird stuff here. "Them" is a problem: if it refers to the most recent plurals ("coteries" or "colonies"), then it makes no sense. I suppose that it's possible that "them" reaches all the way back to "prairie dogs", but even then, it would be a little bit redundant ("prairie dogs live in colonies of roughly a dozen prairie dogs"). I'm also not crazy about "their new pups," because "their" would seem to refer to "coteries" (which makes no sense) or "males" (which doesn't make too much sense, since the males switch coteries frequently).

If you wanted to be really conservative, I suppose that you could hang onto (A), but there's a lot of crappy stuff here, and we'll have a better option below.

Quote:
(B) of roughly a dozen animals, each with several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that switch coteries frequently, and their new pups.

"Each" seems to refer to "animals", and that makes no sense at all. And "their new pups" is shaky, too, as mentioned above. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) that have roughly a dozen of them, with several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and the females’ new pups.

"Them" has the same problem as in (A). Again, you could be conservative and keep this one for now if you really wanted to, but I think we can do better.

Quote:
(D) of roughly a dozen, consisting of several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and the females’ new pups.

And this is better! We could argue that "of roughly a dozen" doesn't sound great, but nobody cares about sound here. There's no pronoun issue whatsoever -- and "the females' new pups" clarifies the end of the sentence, too. Keep (D).

Quote:
(E) with roughly a dozen animals, each coterie includes several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and the females’ new pups.

I actually think that the first part of the sentence sounds good here, but we should never worry about "sound" on GMAT SC. More importantly: this is a classic comma splice, featuring two full sentences improperly separated by a full comma. So it's wrong, even if we think it sounds nice. Eliminate (E).

That leaves us with (D).

Hi,
I was taught that the Verb-ing modifier after a comma in answer (D) must have the subject of the main clause as a doer to either describe the consequence of the action or further explains the action from the main clause. Hence, this answer (D) should've written without the comma before "consisting" to correctly modify "colonies".
Source: e-gmat

How is this acceptable in this situation?

If you have time please advise. Your help is highly appreciated

Thank you

GMATNinja mikemcgarry DmitryFarber sayantanc2k chetan2u GMATNinjaTwo daagh

As the above person has highlighted the doubt about the modifier verb-ing , I request you to please comment on this.
Even I have the same understanding and need to clear out my doubts once and for all..

The earlier posts say that
"Consisting is modifying colonies"

Now even if we drop "called coteries " and rewrite the sentence :

Prairie dogs live in tight knit colonies that have roughly a dozen, consisting....

Now while solving the question I knew that consisting has to refer back to colonies, but the COMMA before " consisting" threw me off as I've been taught that if verb ING modifier follows a comma , then it either present the result of the he preceding clause or information about the action ( here-"live")

A fellow member said that the forgeries is just a modifier and hence can be dropped but even when we drop it there is still one more comma which is potential error in the sentence as per my learning.
Please comment on this.
I've suffered a great loss due to this rule

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [10]

Send PM
Re: Prairie dogs live in tight-knit colonies, called coteries, of roughly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
As the above person has highlighted the doubt about the modifier verb-ing , I request you to please comment on this.
Even I have the same understanding and need to clear out my doubts once and for all..

The earlier posts say that
"Consisting is modifying colonies"

Now even if we drop "called coteries " and rewrite the sentence :

Prairie dogs live in tight knit colonies that have roughly a dozen, consisting....

Now while solving the question I knew that consisting has to refer back to colonies, but the COMMA before " consisting" threw me off as I've been taught that if verb ING modifier follows a comma , then it either present the result of the he preceding clause or information about the action ( here-"live")

A fellow member said that the forgeries is just a modifier and hence can be dropped but even when we drop it there is still one more comma which is potential error in the sentence as per my learning.
Please comment on this.
I've suffered a great loss due to this rule

I feel your pain. What this comes down to is that any "rule" involving commas is going to have exceptions, both because modifiers are so often set off by commas and because commas can be used in unconventional ways to improve the clarity of a sentence.

Take a silly example: "Much to my dismay, I found my child gnawing a hole in a box of dish detergent." Here, "gnawing" modifies "child" and there's no comma, so this is the construction we're accustomed to.

But now imagine that I want to insert another modifier describing where I found my child: "Much to my dismay, I found my child in the linen closet gnawing a hole in a box of dish detergent." At first read, it kind of sounds as though the linen closet is eating the box of detergent! To make it clearer to the reader that this isn't the case, I'd likely include a comma after "closet." An absolute rule? No. But it's a reasonable choice.

It's more or less the same thing in this example. Consider the relevant clause without the comma: "Prairie dogs live in tight-knit colonies, called coteries, of roughly a dozen consisting of several breeding females." We've got the two modifiers in red between "colonies" and "consisting," so in this instance it seems as though "consisting" is referring to the closest noun, "dozen." By including the comma after "dozen," the writer is signaling to the reader that we can't assume "consisting" is modifying "dozen," but rather, that we have a series of modifiers ("called coteries," "of roughly a dozen," and "consisting"), all of which refer back to "colonies." Is this ideal? No. But it also isn't definitively wrong, and the other four answer choices all contain more severe errors.

The big takeaway: no comma rule is absolute, and commas aren't generally a deciding factor on official GMAT questions. And when there is a violation of what seems to be fairly standard comma usage, it's almost certainly because a non-essential modifier has made the sentence more difficult to understand, and the comma is there to create a clearer meaning. If a comma is tripping you up, look for other decision points.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Bookmarks
Though I marked this question correct by using POE method, still, I have few doubts.

(D) of roughly a dozen, consisting of several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and the females’ new pups.

First doubt:
Here, we have used "that" to modify a plural noun. eg. females that, males that..
Before attempting this question, I was told that "that" is used to modify singular noun.

Second doubt:
This sentence seems as below structure.
Clause, consisting of x, y and z. Is it so?

Please help me clear these doubts.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:
Though I marked this question correct by using POE method, still, I have few doubts.

First doubt:
Here, we have used "that" to modify a plural noun. eg. females that, males that..
Before attempting this question, I was told that "that" is used to modify singular noun.

Second doubt:
This sentence seems as below structure.
Clause, consisting of x, y and z. Is it so?

Please help me clear these doubts.

If "that" is used as a modifier -- technically a relative pronoun, if you like jargon -- it can absolutely be used to describe a plural noun. For example, "The blood-spattered halloween costumes that my daughter picked out were all entirely inappropriate for a toddler." Here, "that" is correctly modifying "costumes."

If "that" is used as a nice, normal pronoun -- a demonstrative pronoun, if you're into terminology -- it must refer to a singular noun. For a plural noun, we'd use "those." "The costumes my daughter is considering are far more blood-spattered than those of her squeamish peers." Here, "those," a conventional pronoun, refers to "costumes."

For a more in-depth look at the various uses of "that," check out this article.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
GMATNinja

Quote:
of roughly a dozen of them, that consist of several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and their new pups.

Apart from the pronoun errors you mentioned in option A, is the "that" after the first comma correct.
Can this be a decision point.

I personally feel that this "that" is not wrong. Can you please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja

Quote:
of roughly a dozen of them, that consist of several breeding females that often stay together for their entire lives, one or two breeding males that tend to switch coteries frequently, and their new pups.

Apart from the pronoun errors you mentioned in option A, is the "that" after the first comma correct.
Can this be a decision point.

I personally feel that this "that" is not wrong. Can you please help.

Good question! I wouldn't say the "that" is incorrect. It's certainly confusing, as there are multiple modifiers separating "that" from the word it modifies, "colonies." But you could argue that the same confusion applies to "consisting" referring to "colonies" in (D), which we know is correct. So I'd rely on the pronoun problems and the resulting confusion to eliminate (A).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hey, I was wondering if another reason to rule out (E) would be because of a subtle meaning change.

(E) seems to imply in the beginning of the sentence that the prairie dogs live in these colonies with other kinds of animals..

Let me know, thanks.

P.S I went through a bunch of SC material, and built a solid foundation; I got to 70% success rate by self study. It's not until I watched your 7 videos on sentence correction and applied the approaches you mentioned that I got my success rate to a consistent 90%. Big big thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ahabib wrote:
GMATNinja

Hey, I was wondering if another reason to rule out (E) would be because of a subtle meaning change.

(E) seems to imply in the beginning of the sentence that the prairie dogs live in these colonies with other kinds of animals..

Let me know, thanks.

I think that's valid. Just remember that changing the meaning isn't automatically WRONG, exactly. But if an option introduces an unclear or less-logical meaning -- as is the case with (E) -- we can eliminate it from contention. Nicely done!

Notice, also, that (E) contains two independent clauses, "Prairie dogs live in tight-knit colonies," and "each coterie includes several breeding females." Because there's no conjunction connecting them, we have a run-on sentence here, another good reason to give (E) the boot.

Quote:
P.S I went through a bunch of SC material, and built a solid foundation; I got to 70% success rate by self study. It's not until I watched your 7 videos on sentence correction and applied the approaches you mentioned that I got my success rate to a consistent 90%. Big big thank you.

Thank you for the kind words - glad to hear that those videos have been helpful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V39
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

Thanks for lovely explanation of all choices. I would like to point out one more error in choice (C).
"with several breeding females that often stay together".
Here "with" means Prairie dogs live with several breeding females.......
So meaning is different here. Females.males & pups are subset of Prairie dogs.

Kindly confirm my understanding.
Regards,
Rahul Singh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63667 [1]

Send PM