Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [12]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Compared to regulations in other countries, those of the United States [#permalink]
Hi DAVEexamPAL,

I could solve the questions(all correct) in around 9:30 mins. Out of which, I took around 5:30 mins to create a map. I found the passage fairly easy. My question to you would be that,under normal circumstances, how much time should we spend on creating maps ? I generally like the detailed map approach as, I struggle with inference questions [it improves my factual understanding somehow!]. If I read more quickly (which I can), I tend to miss out on inference questions (They take me longer to solve around 2:30 mins). Main idea & structure questions come naturally to me, so not an issue.

Thanks,
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Re: Compared to regulations in other countries, those of the United States [#permalink]
Hey srinjoy1990, I'm not entirely familiar with the term "map", but I assume you mean reading carefully and summarising the passage. I actually advocate the approach displayed in my above answer: starting from the questions, and working through the text from there.
That being said, if you do choose to go the map route, the times you are describing seem fine: given that we have 2 minutes on average per verbal question, 9:30 minutes for these 5 questions is very good, and if spending more time on the map means you can solve the questions themselves in 1 minute on average, it seems worth it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
srinjoy1990 wrote:
Hi DAVEexamPAL,

I could solve the questions(all correct) in around 9:30 mins. Out of which, I took around 5:30 mins to create a map. I found the passage fairly easy. My question to you would be that,under normal circumstances, how much time should we spend on creating maps ? I generally like the detailed map approach as, I struggle with inference questions [it improves my factual understanding somehow!]. If I read more quickly (which I can), I tend to miss out on inference questions (They take me longer to solve around 2:30 mins). Main idea & structure questions come naturally to me, so not an issue.

Thanks,

Dont feel stressed too much because
first, not all questions are counted towards your final grades.
second, verbal questions do not look familiar with patterns of questions from Manhattan, OG, gmatclub. So, there is no way to know how much you will spend on the reading comprehension.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Took 9 mins 40 seconds in total, including 4 mins 20 seconds to read. All correct

1/ It can be inferred that, compared to the United States, Japan spent less on

The higher costs observed in the United States thus were due in large part, not to more stringent standards, but to the higher regulatory transaction costs
C regulating firms

2/ The author of the passage would disagree with which of the following?
A Some nations are likely to put more focus on regulating industry than allowing industry a measure of autonomy.-- Incorrect
B Varying levels of regulation can lead to similar levels of pollution.-- Incorrect -- US and Japan
C There is a complete lack of transparency in the different standards used by countries. - Correct
D The United States tends to regulate only a few aspects of the overall production process. - some aspects of business are regulated tightly, although sometimes not cost-effectively, while others are ignored.
E Analogies can aptly summarize the primary differences between the environmental practices of two countries. --These contrasts are illustrated nicely in a 1974 book that used a hare and tortoise analogy

3/ The author implies that a country described as a "tortoise" is more likely to favor
C a process of decision-making that includes industry -- Sweden (the tortoise) used a more collaborative process that stressed results but worked with industry in deciding how to achieve them. In the end air quality results were about the same.

4/ Based on information in the passage, it can be inferred that the author believes that countries similar to the United States in terms of environmental policy
B will spend more on regulation instead of allowing firms to influence environmental policy - Correct

5/ According to the passage, as a result of stringent regulation of specific aspects of the production process other aspects of the production process are
Regulation in the United States tends to isolate specific aspects of production processes and attempts to control them stringently, which means that some aspects of business are regulated tightly, although sometimes not cost-effectively, while others are ignored.
E virtually overlooked

6/ The primary purpose of the passage is to
D discuss the scope of environmental regulation in the United States and how it compares to that of other countries -- Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Took 9 mins 40 seconds in total, including 4 mins 20 seconds to read. All correct

The higher costs observed in the United States thus were due in large part, not to more stringent standards, but to the higher regulatory transaction costs
C regulating firms

A Some nations are likely to put more focus on regulating industry than allowing industry a measure of autonomy.-- Incorrect
B Varying levels of regulation can lead to similar levels of pollution.-- Incorrect -- US and Japan
C There is a complete lack of transparency in the different standards used by countries. - Correct
D The United States tends to regulate only a few aspects of the overall production process. - some aspects of business are regulated tightly, although sometimes not cost-effectively, while others are ignored.
E Analogies can aptly summarize the primary differences between the environmental practices of two countries. --These contrasts are illustrated nicely in a 1974 book that used a hare and tortoise analogy

3/ The author implies that a country described as a "tortoise" is more likely to favor
C a process of decision-making that includes industry -- Sweden (the tortoise) used a more collaborative process that stressed results but worked with industry in deciding how to achieve them. In the end air quality results were about the same.

4/ Based on information in the passage, it can be inferred that the author believes that countries similar to the United States in terms of environmental policy
B will spend more on regulation instead of allowing firms to influence environmental policy - Correct

5/ According to the passage, as a result of stringent regulation of specific aspects of the production process other aspects of the production process are
Regulation in the United States tends to isolate specific aspects of production processes and attempts to control them stringently, which means that some aspects of business are regulated tightly, although sometimes not cost-effectively, while others are ignored.
E virtually overlooked

D discuss the scope of environmental regulation in the United States and how it compares to that of other countries -- Correct

I have been learning to avoid words that come off as extreme. Does "Virtually overlooked" come off as extreme like it did to me for Q5? I had a big hunch towards that answer but played devil's advocate and answered A instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 435
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
surfingpirate wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

C regulating firms

E virtually overlooked

I have been learning to avoid words that come off as extreme. Does "Virtually overlooked" come off as extreme like it did to me for Q5? I had a big hunch towards that answer but played devil's advocate and answered A instead.

You're 100% right in ignoring extreme statements in GMAT R.C. answer choices but you have to look at the question as a whole in this example AND take a look at the relevant parts in the passage too. When a question asks "According to the passage..." it means the answer choice has to be directly in the passage.

The passage says:

"Regulation in the United States tends to isolate specific aspects of production processes and attempts to control them stringently, which means that some aspects of business are regulated tightly, although sometimes not cost-effectively, while others are ignored...." {1st paragraph}

So aspects of the business are
- Regulated tightly
- Not Cost effectively
- Or ignored

Answer choice wise:

A regulated slightly less - not relevant because they were regulated tightly, not less.

B adversely affected - n/a

C given undue consideration - n/a

D provided greater autonomy - n/a

E virtually overlooked - Correct. Why? Because the meaning of ignored is that something is as if it never existed. So virtually overlooked is correct in this context and not an extreme.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

official explanation for Q2

(A) is incorrect because it is consistent with the main idea of the passage: the U.S. spends more on regulation than most countries. Again, the question is asking us to find an answer that DISAGREES with the author’s main point. The passage implies that the high costs of regulation are a result that the U.S. grants firms little to no discretion over environmental regulation. This meaning is most consistent with (A).

(B) is incorrect because the author does not provide enough information in the passage for us to know if he would agree or disagree. He provides one case in which increased regulation leads to the same level of pollution. Would he agree that whenever there is more regulation, regardless of the country, there is the similar pollution as in countries that spend less on regulation? If the passage was a clear yes to this question, then we could say the author would disagree with (B).

(C) is clearly backed up by the passage, “because agencies in different countries share information.” This indicates that the author believes that there IS transparency regarding different standards used by countries. Therefore, he would disagree that there is a complete lack of transparency.

(D) is contradicted by the first paragraph.

(E) is wrong because the author uses the tortoise and hare analogies to compare countries. Therefore, he would not disagree with (E).
Retired Moderator
Send PM

official explanation for Q1

According to the passage, the U.S. had “higher regulatory transaction costs” than did Japan. Therefore, we can infer that Japan spent less on (C).

(A) is wrong. While the passage stresses the U.S. focus on strict standards, in relation to Japan, nothing is mentioned on this issue.

(B) is wrong because pollution awareness is not mentioned in the passage.

(D)is wrong because research and development are not mentioned.

(E)environmental cleanup is too broad. Higher pollution abatement costs is not the same as higher environmental cleanup costs.
Retired Moderator
Send PM

official explanation for Q4

In the last paragraph, the author mentions how the U.S. spends more than other countries (such as Japan) in terms of regulation. The passage also notes, in the second paragraph, that firms are given little discretion. Combining these two points, we can infer that a country similar to the U.S. in terms of environmental policy will (B).

(A) is wrong. The last paragraph says that the U.S. has similar air quality to countries, such as Sweden, in which industry plays a larger role. Therefore, countries similar to the U.S. will not have poorer air quality than countries like Sweden.

(C) is incorrect because nowhere in the passage does it say that the U.S. favors long term success.

(D) is wrong because the last paragraph says that the U.S. has high pollution abatement expenditures.

(E) is wrong because the passage states that the U.S. does not focus more on collaborative processes than other countries.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

official explanation for Q3

The “tortoise” is mentioned in the context of “used a more collaborative process…but worked with industry…” The safest answer is (C). Decision-making refers to the collaborative process.

(A) is tempting because of “collaboration.” But the passage does not say that “tortoise” countries favor results over collaboration.

(B) is not supported by the passage.

(D) is the opposite of what the passage says, since America, which is not a “tortoise” country, has a more narrow approach.

(E) is wrong. And don’t be lured by “slower” just because the passage mentions “tortoise.” The passage says that Sweden (“tortoise” country) favored results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
1) It can be inferred that, compared to the United States, Japan spent less on?

Relevant text: For example, one study of a multinational firm with operations in the United States and Japan found that pollution levels in both countries were similar, despite generally higher pollution abatement expenditures in the United States. The higher costs observed in the United States thus were due in large part, not to more stringent standards, but to the higher regulatory transaction costs.

Answer choices:
A ensuring strict standards
B minimizing pollution - why can't we infer this? "abatement" = reduction?
C regulating firms
D research and development
E environmental cleanup

Could anyone help me understand that, please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
jawele wrote:
1) It can be inferred that, compared to the United States, Japan spent less on?

Relevant text: For example, one study of a multinational firm with operations in the United States and Japan found that pollution levels in both countries were similar, despite generally higher pollution abatement expenditures in the United States. The higher costs observed in the United States thus were due in large part, not to more stringent standards, but to the higher regulatory transaction costs.

Answer choices:
A ensuring strict standards
B minimizing pollution - why can't we infer this? "abatement" = reduction?
C regulating firms
D research and development
E environmental cleanup

Could anyone help me understand that, please?

I do have the same question. Someone please help here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts