Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [13]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [4]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [3]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Existentialism is a term applied to the work of certain late 19th- and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
honneeey: for Q1, option D, you gave below explanation. i think you are not pointing to correct para/sentence.

Quote:
(D) Existential philosophers were frequently confused by traditional philosophies.- Nopes, people were rather clear about this aspect. Refer "century philosophers who, despite profound doctrinal differences, shared the belief that philosophical thinking begins with the human subject—not merely the thinking subject, but the acting, feeling, living human individual..."

1. It can be inferred from the passage that:

(A) Most late 19th and 20th century philosophers had profound doctrinal differences
(B) Style is more important than value in existential philosophy.
(C) Existentialism favors a deeper connection to human experience than traditional philosophies.
(D) Existential philosophers were frequently confused by traditional philosophies.
(E) A core notion of existentialism is that “true essence” supersedes the individual.

the option D refers to last sentence of the para 1:
Many existentialists have also regarded traditional systematic or academic philosophies, in both style and content, [i]as too abstract and remote from concrete human experience.
[/i]

Now, as per option D, the Existential philosophers were frequently confused by traditional philosophies. however, as per above sentence, the author agrees that existentialistsregarded traditional philosophies as too abstract/confusing but author doesn't necessarily says 'frequently'. hence i feel option D is not correct.

Option C shows straight forward alignment. Let me know - what do you think?
VeritasPrepBrian, hazelnut, workout: please confirm if my analysis is correct or not. Thank you.

---
Give kudos even if you disagree.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Existentialism is a term applied to the work of certain late 19th- and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Cinematiccuisine I definitely like the idea of focusing on those extra "quantifier"-type modifiers in Inference questions...much like "most" philosophers in choice (A), a word like "frequently" adds specificity that's harder to prove. So your overall technique is great there..."extra" words in conclusions/inferences deserve that level of scrutiny!

Here I think my rationale for eliminating (D) is even broader - the sentence that references confusion is:

the individual's starting point is characterized by what has been called "the existential attitude", or a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world.

Note that confusion is never assigned to the philosophers themselves! Confusion is referenced sort of "within" existential philosophy (existentialists believe this about people...) and not in reference to the philosophers themselves. Note, also, what "the individual" is confused by...not traditional philosophy, but "an apparently meaningless or absurd world."

So that's how I'd eliminate (D) on this particular question, but like I said in a larger context if you're attacking those extra adjectives/modifiers in Inference answers (and in conclusions of Strengthen/Weaken CR problems) you're absolutely setting yourself up for success.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts