Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [16]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Since the time of Darwin, morphological structures have been used to [#permalink]
I have no idea how come i answered all questions right :(
rahulkashyap the last para helps u answer question 3 and i used POE too

3. The author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?

A. Unusual animal behaviours can be understood in terms of natural selection when they are studied in the context of procreation patterns and needs for survival of that particular species. (the last line of 2nd passage as well as last passage actually deals with this)

B. Overpopulated animal colonies often weed out their excess or weak members by abandoning them to their natural predators. (this isnt mentioned anywhere)

C. Darwin‘s evolutionary theories of natural selection have been unnecessarily modified by modern scientists in order to make them accord with observations of animal behavior patterns. (author no where agrees that Darwin's evolutionary theory is unnecessarily modified) so i ruled this out

D. The evolution of certain types of innate animal behavior demonstrate the inadequacy of the notion of "Darwinian fitness" as an approach to studying evolution. (again its not mentioned anywhere)

E. There are some natural phenomena that cannot be explained by logic (this option is really attractive but problem is that no where in passage it is explicitly said, yes author agree with the last line "As a result, we no longer need to invoke the barren behaviouristic tenet of learning as an 'explanation‘ of complexity." but nothing about logic
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Re: Since the time of Darwin, morphological structures have been used to [#permalink]
can anyone explain 2nd? For me A makes more sense than C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
faltan wrote:
can anyone explain 2nd? For me A makes more sense than C

The question asks for a scenario analogous to the worker bee example given in passage.
For the worker bee the author says - "..the worker bee: this insect will sting an intruder and thereby kill itself in defense of the hive"
which means the action leads to killing of individual but benefit to the species.
Now in choice A - A male spider reacts to intruding predators by releasing venom that kills both the predator and itself does not mean that
the spider is doing so for benefit to the species and in case of worker bee we are not sure whether the intruder gets killed or not.So, choice C
The youngest member of a canine pack sacrifices himself by fatally wounding an attacking predator so that the pack itself can escape is
the best option where The youngest member of a canine pack sacrifices himself for the benefit of its pack(species).

Hope its clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
I took 9 minutes to do all the 3 questions. Is this ok ? I can't answer the questions unless i read the passage. I usually end up answering each of other questions within 1 min, but i took around 1.5 minutes to answer each question( 3 8 1.5) plus 4 minutes to read the passage
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
sanathadiga wrote:
I took 9 minutes to do all the 3 questions. Is this ok ? I can't answer the questions unless i read the passage. I usually end up answering each of other questions within 1 min, but i took around 1.5 minutes to answer each question( 3 8 1.5) plus 4 minutes to read the passage

Please do not stress on this passage . The time you spent is in fact appropriate. Additionaly, this passage is NOT AT all representative of real GMAT passages. The LENGTH,the complexity is not at all representative of real GMAT.

P.S. - Aristotle is like the last source you should opt for. Just try to build strategies from these passages. Do not at all worry about timing. If you did this in 9 mins then youd probably do a GMAT hard passage within 7 mins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
5 mins all correct, difficult passage indeed, happy to help if required!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
richirish wrote:

Could you please tell me what prompted you to choose A over D in question 3? Thank you.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Avani12 wrote:
richirish wrote:

Could you please tell me what prompted you to choose A over D in question 3? Thank you.

Hi Avani12,

Let me know if this helps.

Quote:
A. Unusual animal behaviours can be understood in terms of natural selection when they are studied in the context of procreation patterns and needs for survival of that particular species.

Correct, as can be inferred from the second and third paragraph: " Genetically determined responses must be subject to the pressures of natural selection. Hence innate behaviour must evolve. Ethologists were able to show how a motor pattern employed in a noncommunicatory context such as feeding could evolve into a ritualized form employed as a signal in, say, courtship. Differentiation in innate behaviour patterns could be traced to selection pressures arising from the environment. There are many instances of animal behaviour patterns that seem not to contribute to the survival of the individual displaying that behaviour."

Quote:
D. The evolution of certain types of innate animal behaviour demonstrate the inadequacy of the notion of "Darwinian fitness" as an approach to studying evolution.

D is incorrect as author mentions that Darwin's ideas are important as can also be inferred from the lines: "The discovery of a genetic predisposition to be especially responsive to certain stimuli was an important contribution to the study of evolution".

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts