Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to go from Q49-Q50 and how to improve Verbal by 10points [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ankita1394,

Have you been performing at this general Verbal level for awhile? I ask because in a prior post (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p2109616), you stated that you had scored Q49/V32.

If you're still at that approximate level - over 2 months later - then you have likely gotten "stuck" at this level. Working through lots of additional practice questions, in the same ways that you currently work through questions, will likely NOT lead to a score improvement (since you won't be making any changes to HOW you work through the questions). This is all meant to say that you might need to shift your focus to learning and practicing new TACTICS. Since your Test Date is about 2 weeks away, you might also need more time than that to earn the higher Score that you're after.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your prior studies and goals:

1) How long have you studied in total?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi

Thank you for replying, as a small background:
I have been preparing for past 3 months.
My Mock Test scores have been following:
690 (Q50,V31)
690 (Q49,V35)
660 (Q49,V31)
I have been using Official Guides, MGMAT books, egmat course and GMAT club practice questions to study and practice.
The idea is to apply to schools by R2, I am aiming at ISB which has its round 2 deadline on Dec 15.

It is very evident from my score that I am stuck around V30 and a boost of 8-10points will help me go beyond 700+.
My GMAT is scheduled for Nov 4th, please help :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ankita1394,

You've actually listed 2 different goals, so it's important to be as specific as you can be regarding your Overall Score Goal. If your Score Goal is 700 or higher, then you're almost at that level right now - so you might just need to correct a couple of the little mistakes that you consistently make (in terms of how you 'see' and respond to questions) to earn that type of Score. However, if you want to increase your Verbal Scaled Score 5-10 points, then that would require a much greater investment of time and effort - and you would likely need to make improvements to how you handle ALL 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR).

Thus, we need to start there. If you were to take your GMAT as scheduled (on November 4th), then what GMAT Score would make you "happy" (meaning that you would stop studying and not retake the GMAT)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ankita1394,

You've actually listed 2 different goals, so it's important to be as specific as you can be regarding your Overall Score Goal. If your Score Goal is 700 or higher, then you're almost at that level right now - so you might just need to correct a couple of the little mistakes that you consistently make (in terms of how you 'see' and respond to questions) to earn that type of Score. However, if you want to increase your Verbal Scaled Score 5-10 points, then that would require a much greater investment of time and effort - and you would likely need to make improvements to how you handle ALL 3 major Verbal categories (RC, SC and CR).

Thus, we need to start there. If you were to take your GMAT as scheduled (on November 4th), then what GMAT Score would make you "happy" (meaning that you would stop studying and not retake the GMAT)?

Rich

Any score above 700 will make me happy. I just want to hit that zone.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ankita1394,

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT - the 660. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Ankita1394,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. The good news is that a Q49 is really great! Now, to improve to a Q50+, you really need to ensure that you have found and fixed any remaining quant weaknesses. In other words, you have to go through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

Regarding verbal, when studying Critical Reasoning, your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each question type, do focused practice so you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

Another major mistake that people make when training for CR is that they do practice questions too fast. To get Critical Reasoning questions correct, you have to see exactly what is going on in the passages and answer choices, and you likely won't learn those skills by spending a few minutes per question. At this stage of your training, you may need to spend even fifteen minutes per question, learning to see what there is to see. Here is a way to look at this process:

If you get a new job in a field in which you are not experienced, you may not be as fast as the other people working with you, but you know you have a job to do. So, what do you do? You do the job correctly, if not as quickly as those around you, and you make sure that you learn all the angles so that you do the job well. Rushing through the job and doing it incorrectly would not make sense. As you gain more experience, you learn to do the same job more quickly.

Think of Critical Reasoning questions similarly. Your job is to do what? To get through questions quickly? Not really. Your job is to get correct answers. So, first you have to learn to get correct answers, at least 10 to 15 in a row consistently, and more in a row would be better. If it takes you fifteen minutes per question to get correct answers consistently, then so be it. That is what it takes for you to do your job.

Only after you have learned to get correct answers consistently can you work on speeding up. Working quickly but not doing your job is useless. Better to work slowly and learn to do your job well. You can be sure that with experience you will learn to speed up, and then you will still be doing your job well, i.e., getting correct answers consistently.

Finally, a key aspect of getting correct answers to Critical Reasoning questions is noticing the key differences between trap choices and correct answers. Trap choices can sound temptingly correct, but don't get the job done. The logic of what a trap choice says simply doesn't fit what the question is asking you to find. So, to learn how to get correct answers, learn to see the key differences between trap choices and correct answers.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Keep working hard, my friend. You can do this!! Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankita1394 wrote:
Hi

690 (Q50,V31)
690 (Q49,V35)
660 (Q49,V31)
I have been using Official Guides, MGMAT books, egmat course and GMAT club practice questions to study and practice.
The idea is to apply to schools by R2, I am aiming at ISB which has its round 2 deadline on Dec 15.

It is very evident from my score that I am stuck around V30 and a boost of 8-10points will help me go beyond 700+.
You're already very close to your target score, so I wouldn't advise any major changes in your approach at this stage. Also, there is no real difference between a 690 and a 700, so try not to worry about that specific number.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ankita1394,

We are suggesting some good ways to improve your quant score to be above 49. Solving many questions is definitely a good way to improve your score while minimize your mistakes. However, you also need to be concerned about time management because, if poorly done, it can hinder students, even the ones with superb math skills, from getting a high quant score. The quality of the questions you’re working on also matters. If your questions are too easy for your level or out-of-date, the number of questions you practice does not matter much. So make sure to focus on the level of problems that would challenge you and the problems that are most-up-to-date.

Between Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency question types, we recommend you to focus on DS first because DS can be a quick win. Also, focus on 5 key types of problems: integer, statistics, inequality, probability, and absolute value which account for 80% of the GMAT exam. We believe that there are patterns and logic to GMAT quant problems. Learning these patterns and logic is key to manage your time more effectively. With Math Revolution’s Variable Approach for DS questions, you can learn this logic while minimizing time spent on each question and improving accuracy. On average, our students have about 10 minutes to spare before the exam ends. Also the Variable Approach applies to almost all of DS questions. Here is an example how the Variable Approach can be applied. When you encounter a DS problem, you first need to count the number of variables and equations given in the question. By doing so, you can determine which answer choice will most likely be the answer. If there are only two variables in a question, you need at least 2 equations to solve the question. Since two conditions in the question usually give 2 separate equations, it is most likely that C (both conditions together are sufficient) will be the answer.

Here is our detailed guide on how to improve your score above 49. Hope this will help as well.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... 09801.html

Here is our analysis of GMAT quant trends to get the information about the most up-to-date questions.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... 11809.html

We offer both free trial pack and free video lessons to students on our site at mathrevolution.com. So check it out to see if our material will work for you. Also don’t forget to try our free diagnostic test!! We also offer many 700+ level quant questions through our membership. Our plus membership starts at $129 for 3 months.

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
ankita1394 wrote:
Hi

690 (Q50,V31)
690 (Q49,V35)
660 (Q49,V31)

Isn't 690 enough to get into ISB if you have work ex of 5 years?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ishan95jaiswal wrote:
ankita1394 wrote:
Hi

690 (Q50,V31)
690 (Q49,V35)
660 (Q49,V31)

Yes it is, currently I have a work ex of 3.5yrs and crossing 700 is just to assure that I don’t have to worry about this one thing :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
ankita1394 wrote:
ishan95jaiswal wrote:
ankita1394 wrote:
Hi

690 (Q50,V31)
690 (Q49,V35)
660 (Q49,V31)

Yes it is, currently I have a work ex of 3.5yrs and crossing 700 is just to assure that I don’t have to worry about this one thing :)

Ohh.. I guess you'll at least get an interview call.. Hope for the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ohh.. I guess you'll at least get an interview call.. Hope for the best![/quote]

That’s the hope, thank you so much :D

GMAT Club Bot