Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [21]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [20]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [3]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
Re: 10 teams (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J) participate in a soccer tou [#permalink]
Kudos
"10 teams" "in which each team plays every other team once"
When there are 10 teams, each team plays 9 games to play each other team once (think total games is 9+8...+2)

Options are: win, tie, lose
For one team to win, another must lose. For one team to win, another must tie

Note that not all info was given, had to infer losses/wins for each group

To be clear, here is how to solve with a table
.. W T L
A 5 3 1
B 5 3 1
C 5 3 1
D 5 3 1
E 5 3 1
F 2 2 5
G 2 2 5
H 2 2 5
I 2 2 5
J x y z

Since each win must have an opposing loss
.. W T L
A 5 3 1
B 5 3 1
C 5 3 1
D 5 3 1
E 5 3 1
F 2 2 5
G 2 2 5
H 21 2 5
I 2 2 5
J x y z

Since each tie must have an opposing tie
W T L
A 5 3 1
B 5 3 1
C 5 3 1
D 5 3 1
E 5 31 1
F 2 2 5
G 2 2 5
H 21 2 5
I 2 2 5
J x y z

So, J must match the remaining numbers
8W 1T 0L for the others
0W 1T 8L for J

E

OR

A to E is 5 teams. Each plays 9 games
25W 15T 5L

F-I is 4 teams. Each plays 9 games
8W 8T 20L

W cancel with L
15T
8W 8T

T cancel with T
1T
8W

and J has the opposite
1T
8L

E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [1]
Send PM
Re: 10 teams (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J) participate in a soccer tou [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
UPDATE: Since posting this question, I've realized that it can be answered in 10-15 seconds, if we use some GMAT-style reasoning.
So, that's the updated challenge: find a 10-second solution to the question.

Cheers,
Brent
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
10 teams (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J) participate in a soccer tournament in which each team plays every other team once.
For each game played, points are awarded to the teams as follows:
    0 points for losing the game
    1 point each or tRying the game
    2 points for winning the game

After all the games are played, we learn that:
- teams A, B, C, D and E each won 5 games and tRied 3 games.
- teams F, G, H and I each tied 2 games and lost 5 games.

How many games did team J lose?
A) 0
B) 2
C) 4
D) 6
E) 8

UPDATE: My solution was going to be similar to pushpitkc's solution (below), but I've since realized that this question can be answered in 10-15 seconds, if we use some GMAT-style reasoning.
So, that's the real challenge: find a 10-second solution.

Cheers,
Brent

hey Brent :) GMATPrepNow i guess you were getting tied just like me now :lol: as you were were typing the above question full of typos :) i think you mean tried instead of tied :grin: they tried games right ? i corrected your tupos (see above) no need to thank me :)

ok so we have

here is my reasoning

- teams A, B, C, D and E each won 5 games and tRied 3 games. (from here i can conclude that if 5 games won than logically 5 games were lost)

- teams F, G, H and I each tied 2 games and lost 5 games. (same here if 2 games were won than 3 games were lost)

5+3 = 8

is my reasoning correct ? :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
So, just as I was going to bed last night, it dawned on me that my 10-second solution "theory" is incorrect. :shocked

That said, here's the general idea (of my flawed theory) ...

Step 1. We COULD determine the total number of games (45), which means we COULD calculate the total number of points to be awarded (90 points in total, since 2 points are awarded with each game).
Step 2. We COULD determine the total number of points awarded to teams A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.
Step 3. Whatever points are unaccounted for would be the number of points that Team J must have received.
For example: If, in step 2 we found that a total of 85 points were awarded, then we'd know that there are 5 unaccounted points, which means Team J must have received those 5 points.

So far, this is similar to pushpitkc's solution.
However, we may not need to perform any of the above calculations. Here's why.
If it turned out that Team J must have received 5 points (as in the above example), then we'd be hard pressed to determine Team J's record, since there's more than 1 way for a team to receive 5 points.
For example, Team J could have won 0 games, tied 5 games and lost 4 games
Or Team J could have won 1 game, tied 3 games and lost 5 games
Or Team K could have won 2 games, tied 1 game and lost 6 games
As you can see, each possibility yields a different answer to the question.

Since there can be only one correct answer to the question, my reasoning was that there must be exactly 1 point that's unaccounted for. Consider these cases:
CASE A: If there were 0 points unaccounted for, then that would mean Team J lost all 9 of its games. HOWEVER, 9 is not among the answer choices. So, the answer choices tells us that CASE A cannot occur.

CASE B: If there was 1 point unaccounted for, then that would mean Team J tied 1 game and lost 8 games (answer E).

At this point, I incorrectly concluded that, if there is more than 1 point unaccounted for, then there will be more than 1 possible outcome (as is the above case, when we had 5 points unaccounted for)
This conclusion is wrong. To see why, check out case C below.

CASE C: If there were 2 points unaccounted for, then COULD would mean Team J won 1 game, and lost 8 games (answer E) OR it COULD would mean Team J won 0 games, tied 2 games and lost 7 games (but 7 is not among the answer choices)
So, if there were 2 points unaccounted for, the correct answer would have to be E.

CASE D: If there were 3 points unaccounted for, then COULD would mean Team J won 1 game, tied 1 game and lost 7 games (but 7 is not among the answer choices) OR it COULD would mean Team J won 0 games, tied 3 games and lost 6 games (answer D)
So, if there were 3 points unaccounted for, the correct answer would have to be D.

And so on.

I hope my "10-second" solution didn't drive some people crazy!

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dave13 wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
10 teams (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J) participate in a soccer tournament in which each team plays every other team once.
For each game played, points are awarded to the teams as follows:
    0 points for losing the game
    1 point each or tRying the game
    2 points for winning the game

After all the games are played, we learn that:

How many games did team J lose?
A) 0
B) 2
C) 4
D) 6
E) 8

UPDATE: My solution was going to be similar to pushpitkc's solution (below), but I've since realized that this question can be answered in 10-15 seconds, if we use some GMAT-style reasoning.
So, that's the real challenge: find a 10-second solution.

Cheers,
Brent

hey Brent :) GMATPrepNow i guess you were getting tied just like me now :lol: as you were were typing the above question full of typos :) i think you mean tried instead of tied :grin: they tried games right ? i corrected your tupos (see above) no need to thank me :)

ok so we have

here is my reasoning

- teams A, B, C, D and E each won 5 games and tRied 3 games. (from here i can conclude that if 5 games won than logically 5 games were lost)

- teams F, G, H and I each tied 2 games and lost 5 games. (same here if 2 games were won than 3 games were lost)

5+3 = 8

is my reasoning correct ? :?

Hey Dave13,

No, I meant "tied" (as in both teams scored the same number of goals in the game)

Given this, your solution is not correct.

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos