Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I took the test yesterday. They give you a black marker. It is like the crayola markers (the line ones). but it dries out real fast. The board is a spiral bound notebook with about 6 pages in it. You can write on the front and back. However being left handed I got black marker all over my arm. There is no gum chewing, no watches, no braclets. I am used to my keyboard being on a tray. This test center it is on the desk. I am short so to have my chair up where my wrists were not hurting (beginning of carpal tunnel) my feet were going to sleep. Then they are video recording you. I think if I knew all of this I would have felt better. I didn't I felt like a prisoner.

Therefore I bombed my test!!

I hope this helps! :gl
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, the only thing I am concerned is:
1) the thickness of the pen-it matters if the pen is so thick that not only it occupies white board space but also it is not easy to be used for heavy calculation.

I tend to do a lot of calculation in math and do find it faster than some techniques such as plugging in or POE. If the pen is too thick then i might need to change my way taking math.

I heard the board is 8 x 14 legal size... I will purchase the pen today and start practicing.....

I just don't get it though, to prevent someone recording any GMAT questions on paper, they may just used thicker paper or thin cardboard so that the paper/board size is big enough to sneak it out of the test center. In this case, people can still use regular 0.5mm ballpen. Why do they have to change both the pens and paper which gives a headache for many test takers (from what I have been told)??? No one is going to erase any writing during the test anyway.... arghhh!

At last, thanks for the info!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
that pen can get your hands very dirty [#permalink]
the ink tends to stick to your hand while doing it they might let you bring some tissue in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As far as i know they do not permit to take any pen, pencils, paper with you. I have got 3 pencils in case one is broken. It was o.k.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Send PM
Re: What kind of pen do they give you at GMAT test center [#permalink]
ensheep wrote:
Sorry, I tried to search for my question but couldn't find any similar post... Anyway... I heard the test center gives test takers some sort of markers that are nasty thick and instead of papaer the test center gives some sort of white board papers in binder style. In addition, some people feel totally uncomfortable using the pen and the paper.. So as my test date is coming in 13 days, I would like to practice doing questions on the GMAT pen and paper...

Can anyone who has taken the test already tell me what type of pen and/or paper it is? And where can I get it?

Thank you very much. =)

if u take the test in Rome they give u a regular pen with paper
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
the reason for using the laminated paper and pens are :

To save Money from buying millions of papers to all the test takers
and if one said let them raise the fee from 250 to 260 to get us the normal papers and pens

the greater reason is to help the environment. How , cuz the more normal paper they need the more trees are cut. same reason when u go to a restroom and not find papers after u wash ur hands , u find a DRYER.

this reason will be beside the idea of copying questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
good point w/ the saving paper... maybe GMAC ought to stop charing us for the GMAT review books and use eletronic versions.. That would be much more effective in environmental protection :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Schools:NYU, Ross, GSB Chicago, Darden, Tuck
Send PM
The pen does make a bit of a difference.In my case it was more of a unnecsary worry as I had bought the manhattan scratchpad and pen. The [beep] over there shipped me the s tip pen instead of the f tip pen. Writing with the s tip sucks and I hated everytime I used my scratch paper because the s tip's thickness while writing is not consistent. Writing with the f tip is much easier so no need to worry about it too much. It is more of a nice to have rather than a mandatory experience but it does make the practice test more realistic.

From what I have heard The GMAC does not do it to save paper. The paper savings are trivial compared to the integrity of the gmat exam. Since paper is easier to smuggle out you can have people write down the exam questions and take them out. This is especially seen to be a problem in Asia. In order to minimize cheating they instituted this new practice. I would think having the answer sheets shredded immediately after the exam would be sufficient to prevent people from taking out the exams. I personally would like to use paper over the pad since I dislike the scratchpad but it is something you get used to it I guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Manhattan sells an exact replica of the book and marker. Look around their site and it's on there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi

Does anyone have an idea how the situation presents today as this post is from 2006?

Greets

Registero
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
its this exact marker...black and superfine...
this is the cheapest place you can get it (correct me if i'm wrong)
https://www.artstuff.net/Staedtler-Lumoc ... rkers.html

they are 1.67 each but shipping is like 5 dollars so you should buy like 10 at a time to make it worth it lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great, thank you very much. One thing less to worry about on the test date
GMAT Club Bot