Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Experiences with the new format gmat April 2018 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jiwen wrote:
My experience with the new format GMAT has been very linear in that my performance on quant is much lower than expected and performance for verbal is much higher. Before I go on, here are some stats:

GMAT official practice tool test 1-6(with repeats): quant: 49/49/50/50/50/50/49/51 verbal: 32/32/40/35/37/34/34/35
Veritas practice: quant: 49/49 verbal: 32/34
GMAT club test: 27 quant test all within 49-51, no outiers, verbal: 27-35

official gmat exam: quants: 47/43/45 verbal: 35/40/41

These were the scores I've gotten on all my practices and all my exams. My performance on practice is very consistent with high quant scores and low verbal yet the official exam is different. I hypothesize this is because the study material, even those from the official gmat people are all old question dating way back, with a majority of them from 2016. I dear say the the quant section on the actual gmat has gotten harder and verbal has gotten easier. I factored in things like test day nervousness and such, but After so long I can say I don't think it actually prevented me from scoring. I did some research and all the topics I can find did not share my opinion. There are probably some bias since the post out there may generally be posted by those who continues to score well anyways (none of the post were complains). For this reason I want to hear more opinion on this issue. I'm onto my 6th month studying and given my performance on practice I do not know what I can do.
As far as question difficulty on the GMAT is concerned, it's hard to say for sure, but I don't think that an extended discussion on that will help you as a test taker. For what it's worth, I really think that with so many Q50s, you are very much capable of a Q49-51 on the actual exam (and your V40/41 scores are anyway very good).
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jiwen,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. There are a number of reasons why your quant score on the real GMAT has been lower than the quant scores from your practice exams. Since you’ve ruled out nerves as a possible reason, it’s likely that in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. That would explain why you felt uncomfortable with many of the GMAT questions and saw a drop from your practice test scores to your GMAT score, right?

Moving forward, you have to go through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Please reach out with any further questions.
GMAT Club Bot