Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: BYU'21
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all BYU Marriott MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I am no admission expert so can't comment on your admission chances but you should definitely retake and try increase your GMAT score. Avg GMAT of the latest BYU batch is 680; It's always safe to have higher GMAT score than the school's average. It would also increase your chance to get a scholarship. I know couple of Indian applicants with GMAT scores in the range of 700-720 got in to BYU with decent scholarships.

Your quant score is good. You just have to improve your verbal score by 5-6 points to reach 700 level. The tips given in this thread might help.. https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 42361.html Good luck!

janwing wrote:
Hi, I'm applying this year (Fall 2019) and wondering what my chances are for admission.

I have taken GMAT a couple of times.

The best score I got is 650 (Q49 V30).

It seems like I'm not really making any progress with my verbal, which is very frustrating.

I have worked 43 months of work experience as of now.

Most recently, I have spent the last 2 & 1/2 years in pharmaceuticals.

Since I'm in medical department, I don't have any background in marketing, sales, or operatioin management.

However, I want to swtich my career path to marketing with analysis/strategy minor.

Do you think I have strong background to compensate my relatively low GMAT score?

I really don't want to take GMAT again (I will though if I have to) and don't know if I wil do any better next time with verbal.

Help????????
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: BYU'21 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all BYU Marriott MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! [#permalink]
I just submitted my application. Now it's just a waiting game. I think I have a pretty fair chance, though my GMAT and WE are a bit lower than BYU's average. I'm hoping that a 46Q is good enough to justify having an overall score below average.

Anyone know when I can expect to hear back from admissions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Savage91 wrote:
I just submitted my application. Now it's just a waiting game. I think I have a pretty fair chance, though my GMAT and WE are a bit lower than BYU's average. I'm hoping that a 46Q is good enough to justify having an overall score below average.

That depends. Are you a member of LDS church.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gauravraos wrote:
Savage91 wrote:

Yes, I am LDS. In what way do you think this affects my application?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 525 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Savage91 wrote:
gauravraos wrote:
Savage91 wrote:

Yes, I am LDS. In what way do you think this affects my application?

BYU accepts only 1-1.5% Non LDS. So if you are an LDS, with decent profile and GMAT scores ,you are good.
Please let us know if you hear from the School.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
How are everyone's apps coming? The application review period began on November 1st, so we may begin hearing back from admissions in the next few weeks.

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any calls for interviews from AdComm? I have interview scheduled with BYU Chaplain today.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Gauravraos,

I have not heard from Adcomm yet. I will be sure to keep everyone posted. Good luck with your application. Let us know how it goes and when you hear back.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Savage91 wrote:
Hey Gauravraos,

I have not heard from Adcomm yet. I will be sure to keep everyone posted. Good luck with your application. Let us know how it goes and when you hear back.

Are you mailing the Adcom asking your application status?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No, maybe I should?

I figure that I'll hear back via email as soon as a decision has been made.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: BYU'21 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
gauravraos wrote:
Any calls for interviews from AdComm? I have interview scheduled with BYU Chaplain today.

gauravraos, How was your interview? Does this interview with BYU Chaplain count to admission? Did they invite you for the interview or you emailed them?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JacksonCAquino wrote:
gauravraos wrote:

gauravraos, How was your interview? Does this interview with BYU Chaplain count to admission? Did they invite you for the interview or you emailed them?

Hey Jackson
The interview was around the honor code and the disciplines i would have to follow at BYU. It was just a 15 minutes interview.
And yes ssince i am Non LDS the interview with university chaplain is necessary for application to be complete. The chaplain sent me an email to schedule the interview after i requested for an endorsement request through the portal. I am not sure about the steps for LDS applicants. thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have just been invited for an interview with the adcom. I think we'll do it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any good advice about MBA admissions interviews?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
JacksonCAquino wrote:
I have just been invited for an interview with the adcom. I think we'll do it tomorrow.

That's great news! I just received my interview invite as well.

I was already planning on a trip to Utah to visit my wife's family but I don't know if I can wait that long for an in person interview. The email I received said that in person was preferred but Skype is not detrimental. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I kind of want to do it asap to find out if sooner if I am accepted!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Savage91 wrote:
JacksonCAquino wrote:

That's great news! I just received my interview invite as well.

I was already planning on a trip to Utah to visit my wife's family but I don't know if I can wait that long for an in person interview. The email I received said that in person was preferred but Skype is not detrimental. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I kind of want to do it asap to find out if sooner if I am accepted!

I know a lot of people from my country, Brazil, who got their MBA at BYU. None of them traveled to Utah for an interview.

I think they really mean when they say that a Skype interview is not detrimental to our admission.

Have a great interview!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
BYU DECISION TRACKER

Updates for the last hour:

• Invited to interview, 51 minutes ago, from United States, GMAT:660 (Q46 V36), GPA: 3.59, Industry: Consulting, WE 33, heard via: email
  • Invited to interview, 55 minutes ago, from Brazil, GMAT:660 (Q47 V34), GPA: 3.97, Industry: Human Resources, WE 108, heard via: email

UPDATE YOUR STATUS
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JacksonCAquino wrote:

Please let us know how the interview went. Also can you please let us know the timelines? When did you apply and if you are LDS or not.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts