Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [6]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2498 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: In a school election, Joan and Peter were the only candidates for [#permalink]
Joan - 390 Senior votes
Peter - 336 Junior votes

Statement 1: Joan received 40% of the votes cast by seniors

This means the 390 of the votes cast by seniors received by Joan represents 40% of the votes cast by seniors. So the rest of the 60% of the votes cast by seniors was received by Peter.

So

Number of Votes cast by Seniors received by Peter = 60 * 390/40 = 585

So by this statement we know

Joan - 390 Senior votes , don't know??
Peter - 585 Senior votes , 336 Junior votes

Since, this statement does not give how votes cast by junior were received by Joan. This statement is not sufficient.

Statement 2: Peter received 60% of the votes cast by juniors

This means the 336 of the votes cast by juniors received by Peter represents 60% of the votes cast by juniors. So the rest of the 40% of the votes cast by juniors was received by Joan.

So

Number of Votes cast by juniors received by Joan = 40 * 336/60 = 224

So by this statement we know

Joan - 390 Senior votes , 224 Junior votes

Since, this statement gives how votes cast by junior and seniors were received by Joan. This statement is sufficient.

Answer is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In a school election, Joan and Peter were the only candidates for [#permalink]
I'm sorry but where are the alternatives? I only see the statements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In a school election, Joan and Peter were the only candidates for class president. Only students in the junior and senior class were allowed to vote and all of them voted for exactly one of the two candidates. Joan received 390 of the votes cast by seniors and Peter received 336 of the votes cast by juniors. How many votes did Joan receive?

(1) Joan received 40% of the votes cast by seniors

(2) Peter received 60% of the votes cast by juniors

to find the total votes joan received,, we need number of votes cast by juniors to joan..

stat1: no info about juniors vote

stat2: suff

ans B
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2498 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
henriquenkg wrote:
I'm sorry but where are the alternatives? I only see the statements.

Hi

In GMAT, data sufficiency questions always have the following five alternatives:

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
(B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
(C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
(D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

This is known and understood by almost everyone here, that's why people who post here don't specify these five alternatives with a DS question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1352 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
In a school election, Joan and Peter were the only candidates for [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a school election, Joan and Peter were the only candidates for class president. Only students in the junior and senior class were allowed to vote and all of them voted for exactly one of the two candidates. Joan received 390 of the votes cast by seniors and Peter received 336 of the votes cast by juniors. How many votes did Joan receive?

(1) Joan received 40% of the votes cast by seniors

(2) Peter received 60% of the votes cast by juniors

\(\left. \begin{gathered}\\
{\text{seniors}}\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,390\,\,\,\, \to \,\,\,\,{\text{Joan}} \hfill \\\\
S - 390\,\,\,\, \to \,\,\,\,{\text{Peter}} \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right. \hfill \\\\
{\text{juniors}}\,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,J - 336\,\,\,\, \to \,\,{\text{Joan}} \hfill \\\\
\,336\,\,\,\, \to \,\,{\text{Peter}} \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right\}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,? = 390 + \left( {J - 336} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\boxed{\,\,\,? = J\,\,}\)

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,\,S - 390 = \frac{6}{10}\left( S \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,S\,\,\,{\text{unique}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,J\,\,{\text{bifurcates}}\,\,{\text{trivially}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\text{INSUFF}}.\)

\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,\,J - 336 = \frac{4}{10}\left( J \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,J\,\,\,{\text{unique}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\text{SUFF}}.\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92881 posts