Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Kudos
AniketST wrote:
BNabs88 Best of luck with your result buddy!

Would you mind sharing your experience? What kind of questions were you asked?

All the same ones you see online for mccombs really. Introduce yourself, run through work history, what are your goals, why MBA, why McCombs, couple of competency based questions, and then some chit-chat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling McCombs (UT Austin) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake)Class of 2021 [#permalink]
I completed a video essay for the application and appears the video has not been viewed yet on YouTube.
Wonder if they are reviewing applications based on test score first...
School Moderator - Stanford MSx
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
milesmiles90, May be they are reviewing apps based on geography & not the score, where are you based?

milesmiles90 wrote:
I completed a video essay for the application and appears the video has not been viewed yet on YouTube.
Wonder if they are reviewing applications based on test score first...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Had my McCombs interview yesterday. I think it went okay.

Overview:

I met adcom in a hotel lobby. We did basic introductions and talked for a bit. Then we dove into interview questions.
My interviewer had a set of questions from which he asked questions. In this way, the interview was quite structured, and wasn't like a regular conversation. My interviewer also took notes quite visibly, and it was slightly distracting because I knew that whatever he wrote would be the basis for his interview report.

Types of questions:

We spoke about career goals and went over a few behavioural questions related to my professional experience. I spoke about my motivations for doing an MBA and how it would help me in my short/long term goals.
Then we spoke at length about the McCombs program, and how I would contribute to it. Just FYI, McCombs focuses heavily on how prospective students can give back to the community - I was asked a question about it.
Finally, the interviewer asked if I had any questions about the program. This was the most unstructured part of the interview, and was quite conversational. It is best to prepare 4-5 questions
I was surprised that we spent 15-20 minutes on my questions and another 15-20 minutes on discussing McCombs specific questions. I was prepared for a conversational interview and thought that we'd spend much more time talking about my background and professional experience, but this was not the case (we spent only about 8-10 minutes on this).

Key takeaways:

Prepare your stories well. Figure out how to repurpose your stories to answer a variety of questions.
Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve through the MBA.
Know your strengths and weaknesses at work, and also as an applicant. I was asked about both these points specifically.
Prepare to talk about your work in a succinct and concise way.
Finally, relax! My interviewer was very friendly and while the interview was in a question-answer format, he made me feel at ease.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by chakraaayan on 06 Nov 2018, 04:26.
Last edited by Narenn on 06 Nov 2018, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting
School Moderator - Stanford MSx
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thank you for this very detailed update on your experience chakraaayan
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
chakraaayan thank you so much for the helpful and detailed report; will be helpful to my clients :)

chakraaayan wrote:

Overview:
I met adcom in a hotel lobby. We did basic introductions and talked for a bit. Then we dove into interview questions.
My interviewer had a set of questions from which he asked questions. In this way, the interview was quite structured, and wasn't like a regular conversation. My interviewer also took notes quite visibly, and it was slightly distracting because I knew that whatever he wrote would be the basis for his interview report.

Types of questions:
We spoke about career goals and went over a few behavioural questions related to my professional experience. I spoke about my motivations for doing an MBA and how it would help me in my short/long term goals.
Then we spoke at length about the McCombs program, and how I would contribute to it. Just FYI, McCombs focuses heavily on how prospective students can give back to the community - I was asked a question about it.
Finally, the interviewer asked if I had any questions about the program. This was the most unstructured part of the interview, and was quite conversational. It is best to prepare 4-5 questions
I was surprised that we spent 15-20 minutes on my questions and another 15-20 minutes on discussing McCombs specific questions. I was prepared for a conversational interview and thought that we'd spend much more time talking about my background and professional experience, but this was not the case (we spent only about 8-10 minutes on this).

Key takeaways:
Prepare your stories well. Figure out how to repurpose your stories to answer a variety of questions.
Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve through the MBA.
Know your strengths and weaknesses at work, and also as an applicant. I was asked about both these points specifically.
Prepare to talk about your work in a succinct and concise way.
Finally, relax! My interviewer was very friendly and while the interview was in a question-answer format, he made me feel at ease.

Hope this helps!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
chakraaayan wrote:

Great job chakraaayan! And thank you for taking the time to share this valuable info with fellow applicants. I've formatted your post a little and have also posted it on McCombs interview debriefs section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Glad that this was useful! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can we expect any further call for interview.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
dave19 wrote:
Can we expect any further call for interview.

According to the website:
"Invitations can be sent out at any time between the submission and decision notification deadlines for each round"

Decision deadline isn't until mid-December, so plenty of time still
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview with an adcom member a couple of days back. Overall a pleasant experience.

The interviewer had a set of questions he was choosing from. Most of the discussion revolved around my work experience and the associated behavioural questions (biggest challenge, problem solving, feedback at work, teamwork), my plans for the future and how McCombs fits into it, and a couple of questions on me as a person - strengths/weaknesses, hobbies and passions.

I think most of the interview just mirrored the application. So the school research and introspection you did while completing the application should serve you well. The only thing additional was the set of major competency questions, which anyway everyone should be prepared for.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Very tough to withdraw from consideration yesterday due to my other admits. Best of luck to you all!

- Your Thread Master :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
howdytex2 wrote:
Very tough to withdraw from consideration yesterday due to my other admits. Best of luck to you all!

- Your Thread Master :)

Godspeed, OP

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Did anyone receive any interview invites recently?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk15 wrote:
Did anyone receive any interview invites recently?

Are they still sending invites? Last year most of the invites had been released by mid-November, although I can't firmly say that the same will hold true this year.

Attachment:
McCombs 2017-18 invites.png
McCombs 2017-18 invites.png [ 22.77 KiB | Viewed 4709 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
As I’m waiting for the results, I was reading on a few admission stats. Does anybody know generally what the interview to convert ratio is ?

Also, does that vary significantly for the over represented pool like Indians?

Read a few threads from the previous years on the forum, but couldn’t find any information.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 2.87
Send PM
Kudos
johnsculley wrote:
As I’m waiting for the results, I was reading on a few admission stats. Does anybody know generally what the interview to convert ratio is ?

Also, does that vary significantly for the over represented pool like Indians?

Read a few threads from the previous years on the forum, but couldn’t find any information.

There was a chart that was posted here a couple of years ago that showed acceptance rates at top schools after interview.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/chances-of-g ... 30246.html

Generally, if you get INVITED to interview, your chances of getting in are better than 50%. The schools that have lower than 50% acceptance rates (Kellogg, Tuck, etc.) are those that notably allow you to schedule your own interviews. So, basically, if you got an invite, take that as a great sign.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V44
GPA: 3.58
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Based on last year, does McCombs send notices on the deadline date only? Or do they roll out notices before/after?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts