Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Changes to Unofficial Score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi erinbee,

Your GMAT Score out of 800 is based on just 2 things: your Quant Scaled Score and Verbal Scaled Score. The IR Score and AWA Score are completely separate numbers (out of 8 and 6, respectively) and have no impact on your Score out of 800. While you will receive an Unofficial Score Report on the day of your Exam, those results are almost always the same on your Official Score Report (in some rare circumstances, I've heard of an Official Score varying by 10 points - for example, 600 to 610 - but again, that is remarkably unlikely to occur).

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
erinbee wrote:
u1983 Thanks for the info! Does the "overall" portion still only get affected by verbal and quant even in the official report once AWA has been graded, or does the official report include each category in its overall score? Or when a school asks for a 700, that's simply the V/Q scores?
The main (200-800) score comes from only the quantitative and verbal scores (quant and verbal are the only adaptive sections of the GMAT exam). The non-adaptive sections, AWA and IR, do not affect the main score at all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC I took the initial CAT and scored a 510 (Q33 V27). Wasn't too thrilled with it, but that was with no studying so at least I have a baseline. I was hoping to write the GMAT late this next year/early next for applications to Business School in 2020. Most of the schools I'm applying to are looking for a 650-680 to be "competitive" so my ultimate goal would be a 680-700, although that may be a little high after looking at my baseline!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erinbee,

This initial 510 is a decent starting Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's important to understand that this whole process takes time. You have given yourself plenty of time before you plan to apply to School though - which is good. Since you're not facing any immediate deadlines, you can focus on the GMAT and lock in that competitive Score in advance of when you'll actually need it.

1) What study materials are you currently working with?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
EMPOWERgmatRichC Yes, I originally wanted to write the GMAT at the end of December just to get a feel for my score but I'm rethinking that. I'm currently on co-op now so I was hoping to write it before going back to school in January and studying for those courses full-time.

Currently I have the complete Kaplan 2019 set. Up until January I will have about 10-15 hours/week that I can study. After that, it will likely drop to 5-10 when I'm back in school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
erinbee wrote:
Hi everyone - sorry for the very basic question. I am just beginning to start studying for my GMAT and don't have all of the information yet. I have researched that after completing your GMAT, you get an unofficial score that doesn't include your AWA score. Does this mean that your unofficial score changes from your official score, based on what you get on your AWA? For instance, if you scored a 650 on your unofficial score, could this change depending on if you nail or flop on the AWA portion?
Thanks!

Hello, unofficial score will not change later. Your awa might change as it will be graded bybhuman later..so your quant,verbal and IR will be same . Your Awa might change. However this will not impact your score out of 800(as awa is not part of it) which all bschools consider

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erinbee,

There's no inherent harm in taking the GMAT at the end of December, but you would likely need more time than that to hit your Score Goal (so you could save $250 and potentially some frustration by not taking the GMAT at that time). Given the broader timeframe that you have described, the immediate question is really just about how 'efficient' you would like to be with your time before you are back in School. Right now, you could approach your studies in a more casual fashion or commit to a more structured, focused study routine (with an emphasis on Tactics, patterns and the little 'secrets' to the Exam). It's likely that you'll need at least 3 months of study time either way, but you could potentially lock-up that high GMAT Score in late January or early February (as opposed to farther on into 2019). As such, you should take whatever time you need to think about your broader timeline and goals and then we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi erinbee,

To answer your second response, the overall score (out of 800) is based on ONLY your quant and verbal scores. You are provided separate AWA and IR scores, which schools also see in your official score report.

Since it appears that you are just beginning your prep, do you need any advice regarding your study plan? Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about [url=[url=https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to-score-a-700-on-gmat/]how to score a 700+ on the GMAT[/url].
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
­hi, has any deviation been observed in the official and unofficial GMAT FE scores?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
arthusf wrote:
­hi, has any deviation been observed in the official and unofficial GMAT FE scores?

­Hi arthusf,

No, not as far as I know. Is there a reason you are concerned about this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
thanks for your response - I will tell you where I'm coming from.

I gave my GMAT FE on 17/2 and scored a 715. I still haven't rec'd my official score report. So I am quite worried.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
arthusf wrote:

I gave my GMAT FE on 17/2 and scored a 715. I still haven't rec'd my official score report. So I am quite worried.

­Hi arthusf,

That's a great score. Congratulations!

Most test takers won't face any issues with test-centre attempts (online is somewhat more risky). If you took the exam at a test centre, you'll most likely receive your score within the next few days. However, you can also reach out to Pearson/Examity customer support to let them know that you haven't received your official score report.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
arthusf wrote:

­
Great score! I don't think you'll have any issues with your score though. So, you can rest easy:)
GMAT Club Bot