Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [1]
Send PM
Re: Help needed to improve consistency in Verbal [#permalink]
Bookmarks
There are different approaches to RC. I used LSAT passages, and I managed to improve RC to 91percentile.

Let me post the links that helped me: https://lawschooli.com/improve-your-lsa ... ion-score/
It says: "If it takes you an hour to finish one passage correctly, then spend an hour on it. Just try and get everything CORRECT." It took me 30-35 minutes to complete 1 LSAT RC passage in the beginning and answer all the questions (8-9). It is like learning to do a physical exercise in the beginning - it's better to do it one time the right way and build up from there instead of doing it as many time as possible the wrong way. With practice, I managed to decrease that time to 12-15 minutes with the same percentage of the correct answers (80-90%, sometimes 100%). With practice, I learned what kind of questions I would see.

Here is another link: https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to- ... rehension/
It says that it's important to understand the passage. During the test, I read certain sentences 2 or three times. That's ok for me. I noticed that when I fully understand the passage, the overall time I spend on answering all the questions decreases while keeping high the number of the correct answers (7 correct out of 8). When I rushed through the passage with the thought that I would re-read the part I need when answering the question, the overall time and number of correct answers decreased dramatically (only 40-50% correct). So, the right approach for me was to invest more time in understanding the passage rather than answering the questions and going back and forth from the question to the passage. When I understand the passage, it takes a few seconds to find the line in the passage and another 10-15 seconds to give the correct answer.

I hope I managed to convey the idea :)

As you're planning to retake the test soon, it's probably better to use GMAT passages and to read official explanations. Or, you can use 1 LSAT passage and 3 GMAT passages a day.

And keep practicing SC and CR. They'll get harder when you improve RC.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Akela wrote:
There are different approaches to RC. I used LSAT passages, and I managed to improve RC to 91percentile.

Let me post the links that helped me: https://lawschooli.com/improve-your-lsa ... ion-score/
It says: "If it takes you an hour to finish one passage correctly, then spend an hour on it. Just try and get everything CORRECT." It took me 30-35 minutes to complete 1 LSAT RC passage in the beginning and answer all the questions (8-9). It is like learning to do a physical exercise in the beginning - it's better to do it one time the right way and build up from there instead of doing it as many time as possible the wrong way. With practice, I managed to decrease that time to 12-15 minutes with the same percentage of the correct answers (80-90%, sometimes 100%). With practice, I learned what kind of questions I would see.

Here is another link: https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to- ... rehension/
It says that it's important to understand the passage. During the test, I read certain sentences 2 or three times. That's ok for me. I noticed that when I fully understand the passage, the overall time I spend on answering all the questions decreases while keeping high the number of the correct answers (7 correct out of 8). When I rushed through the passage with the thought that I would re-read the part I need when answering the question, the overall time and number of correct answers decreased dramatically (only 40-50% correct). So, the right approach for me was to invest more time in understanding the passage rather than answering the questions and going back and forth from the question to the passage. When I understand the passage, it takes a few seconds to find the line in the passage and another 10-15 seconds to give the correct answer.

I hope I managed to convey the idea :)

As you're planning to retake the test soon, it's probably better to use GMAT passages and to read official explanations. Or, you can use 1 LSAT passage and 3 GMAT passages a day.

And keep practicing SC and CR. They'll get harder when you improve RC.

Hope this helps!

This helps greatly. Thank you for the links.
I also came across lsat sectional tests during my search for tough rcs. Do you recommend those?

Thanks again for the suggestions
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Send PM
Hi Rmel,

LSAT passages are more difficult that GMAT passages. They are longer and denser. You can try a few ones to practice, and read the explanations on LSAT forums. Still, you're gonna retake GMAT soon, so concentrating on GMAT passages can be more effective now. Probably. You have to try yourself and see what works for you.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Bot