Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [7]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Sept 2019 Intake ! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
agalgotia wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful information on this forum!

I have a few questions as I apply for Round 2, any advice is appreciated.

Sorry for the late response~ hope this is still helpful @agalgotia

1) For my motivation essays, I have chosen to discuss personal experiences vs work experiences based on what is meaningful to me. Do you think I should make it a point to switch out one of the examples in my achievement/failure essay to a work experience?

The main thrust here is to help them get to know you as a person. So much of the application is based on work - they are kicking the tires to make sure you are solid, but that is rarely *memorable* for the AdCom. Elect to discuss what is memorable. I encourage applications to take advantage of the motivation essays for personal experiences - this helps AdCom see you as a real person instead of a set of papers. When they resonate with that you write, it builds an emotional connection, which makes you memorable. Keep this as the forefront. If a work example helps build an emotional connection, that is OK.

2) For my achievement essay, the achievement is about my experience/results as a Director of a club in my last year of university. I think it's quite impactful, but it is 6 years old. Do you think I should select a more recent achievement?

Normally, I would urge for you to discuss things that are recent, but for this particular essay, they give you the leeway to look across the span of your whole life.
Consider if it fits into the criteria I establish in your previous question. Make sure it is not a boring data dump. To give it focus, think about if it how it will fulfill their 4 criteria of academics, contribution, international orientation and leadership.

3) My 2 selected recommenders are my current Director (boss' boss) and my previous Director. I've worked for the same company since grad, but in 2 distinct roles, so I think this paints a full picture. However, my previous Director worked with me from Aug 2015 to Oct 2017. Given this is not recent, I'm debating asking my current boss to write a 3rd optional letter. It may be a little repetitive though, do you think this will hurt or help my chances?

I encourage you to think about how certain recommenders will tell stories that illustrate qualities that distinguish you from your peers and speak to the 4 criteria for INSEAD. Recent recommendations are great but #1 is that THEY CAN TELL STORIES ABOUT YOU DEMONSTRATING LEADERSHIP, TEAMWORK AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS. I am always worried when people find someone "high up" in the company to do these recommendations. The best ones come from those who are a friend, champion you, see your best and highest. I've attached my recommendation guidelines; my standards are below.

Letters of recommendation: The recommender can “see” you – see the uniqueness of you – and articulate that eloquently. The letter is comprised chiefly of clear, specific anecdotes that point to your talents in the area of problem-solving, teamwork, leadership, communication and innovation. The reader is emotionally moved by the content and, ideally, wants to champion you to the adcom in quite the same way as the writer.

Thanks!

Attachments

LOR Guidelines MPC.docx [19.51 KiB]
Downloaded 72 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone applied for the scholarships? I've been travelling so have left it very late (deadline is in 4 hours...)

The word count maximums on the essays are a bit alarming after the actual application forms very tight restrictions. They all have 4,000 word count max - which I know doesn't have to be met but still seems extreme.

Plan is to draft what I can and submit, and hope that the admissions panel and scholarships panel don't compare notes as the quality of these essays is not going to be great!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I'm applying to INSEAD - want to continue in the Tech Industry (90%)but would want a change in geography (Currently in Middle East)

What is the forums opinion on Sept 2019 Vs Jan 2020?

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi KK1029
I don't know the specifics of your profile - specifically - if you are overrepresented (Chinese, Indian) then I would lean towards January so you can apply in Round 1. If that doesn't apply, it still is advantageous to apply R1 but less so. 1000 open seats makes it easier to snag one.

The natural question is, would you need an internship or not? A lot of people think they must have one but if that were true, half of INSEADs graduates would be jobless.

Some September batch peeps like not having to fuss over an internship and instead take things in a bit before having to look for a job (however I firmly believe that b-school is for execution NOT exploration.)

Internships don't require a visa and so it presents a unique opportunity to work abroad in a new location and if you dont like it, rerecruit when you return
If you do like it, you might snag a job offer.

Those are the pros and cons as I see it, would love for others to chime in.
Cheers
Farrell

KK1029 wrote:
I'm applying to INSEAD - want to continue in the Tech Industry (90%)but would want a change in geography (Currently in Middle East)
What is the forums opinion on Sept 2019 Vs Jan 2020?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Any R2 applicants here?

Just completed my application. And now the wait.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
romac89 wrote:
Has anyone applied for the scholarships? I've been travelling so have left it very late (deadline is in 4 hours...)

The word count maximums on the essays are a bit alarming after the actual application forms very tight restrictions. They all have 4,000 word count max - which I know doesn't have to be met but still seems extreme.

Plan is to draft what I can and submit, and hope that the admissions panel and scholarships panel don't compare notes as the quality of these essays is not going to be great!

I submitted mine a few days ago - and don't worry your essays couldn't possibly have been worse than mine ! After almost 6 months of writing and rewriting essays, CVs and what not for 3 different schools I barely had the motivation to string through a few sentences to ask for a scholarship.

The wait has already been agonizing, I can't imagine what it'll be like by next week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi all!

Best of luck to everyone on their applications.
I am currently finishing my application and I intend to upload it tomorrow (one day before the deadline). I understand that you have 48 hours after the deadline to submit your video essays, would it look bad for the admissions committee to upload the video essays after the deadline, let's say thursday morning (one day after)?

Thanks for your time!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Needed a quick clarification. In case of multiple GMAT attempts, how is the evaluation done; does the admission committe select the highest score for each section?

Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Jurassic,

To my understanding, that is kind of what the adcom does - it considers all scores, placing a higher weight in the highest score. In case you came short in one of the sections, it takes into consideration an improvement in that section in your second attempt - that is, of course, unless the "better" section is not considerably weaker in the second attempt.

hope this helps!

Jurassic wrote:
Hi,

Needed a quick clarification. In case of multiple GMAT attempts, how is the evaluation done; does the admission committe select the highest score for each section?

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
Send PM
Hi all,

I've just submitted my R2 application and now waiting for the video essay link. Good luck to all of us!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
tsuxinhah wrote:
Hi Jurassic,

To my understanding, that is kind of what the adcom does - it considers all scores, placing a higher weight in the highest score. In case you came short in one of the sections, it takes into consideration an improvement in that section in your second attempt - that is, of course, unless the "better" section is not considerably weaker in the second attempt.

hope this helps!

Jurassic wrote:
Hi,

Regards.

Thanks Tsuxinhah, that helps.
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM