Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
From the Dean’s Desk: Around the World in 7 Days [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: From the Dean’s Desk: Around the World in 7 Days
This post is part of our “From the Dean’s Desk” series, where we hear directly from our UCLA Anderson leaders across the school.

Last month, I had the extreme pleasure to visit regions in the world on behalf of UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions. Most of those areas were very familiar to me, while another was a new area for me to explore. I enjoy the opportunity to engage with the future leaders of business, especially individuals interested in an MBA at UCLA Anderson. Here is my 7 day trip around the world……of course, all accomplished with the modern conveniences of airplanes, hotels, buses, subways, and a few taxis.

1st stop – London: This literally was a 5 hour layover from LA to my first recruiting event in India. However, I will add that I enjoy going through one of the world’s busiest airports to break-up the 20+ hours of total flying time that is required to reach Bangalore. A strong suggestion from me to you is “upgrade” to visit an airline lounge if you're able to “refresh” before the 2nd half of the journey. PS – and travel as light as possible to avoid items being confiscated/thrown away like oversized toiletries, unmarked electronics, etc. that may not fit into the 1 visible plastic bag that must go through the x-ray machine. PS2 – I have never had anything confiscated or thrown away...yet!

2nd stop – Bangalore, India: This is my third time this year visiting India. The people here are extremely nice and hospitable. I’m not going to give you the rundown on my every move. But, get out of your comfort zone to meet people, understand the culture, explore the food choices, and leave with no regrets. On the business side – UCLA Anderson has a strong global reputation with many alumni in the area, as well as in the US and beyond. The strong brand of UCLA is recognized around the world and people are always curious about the MBA degree offered by the school.  Each time I visit this region, many of the questions revolve around career opportunities in technology, entertainment, and entrepreneurship. So, I wasn’t surprised when the audience of nearly 100 individuals asked how can the Parker Career Management Center “help me”. The night session proved to be very successful given the combination of content, alumni, and reception that followed. I am sure the current UCLA Anderson students originally from India will be busy in the coming weeks and months with inquiries from the many individuals I met given the level of interest by the attendees. Even though I only spent 24 hours in this city, it was an “A+” experience including the recruiting event and opportunity to meet with alumni in the area.

3rd stop – Mumbai, India:  This proves to be another “short” trip to a fabulous city. The schedule is relatively the same, host an evening recruiting event with another large audience. Just some subtle differences – Mumbai has a larger population, but Bangalore has a larger IT presence…and both attract talent for sure. The business landscape is global and the race for talent is fierce. The concerns and interests of event attendees were basically the same with no surprises. However, there is a subtle difference…..I find being near the Arabian Sea has a calming effect ….people are a bit more casual and seem comfortable. Thank you to the alumni who did come and support me in delivering the UCLA Anderson message :)

4th stop – Delhi, India:  Another familiar territory as this is my 3rd time visiting Delhi. And as an added bonus, I am arriving on India’s Independence Day (8/15/18). I truly enjoy the displays of national pride including those wearing clothing reflecting the vibrant colors, art, and genuine discussions with hotel staff, flight attendants, and random strangers about what the day means to him/her. Again, no surprises in terms of interest in UCLA Anderson nor any unusual questions. I think many were surprised at the diversity of career opportunities and the diversity of the student class knowing that UCLA Anderson is not simply a finance school or a tech school. Many appreciated hearing about the “new" essay question that focuses on one’s passion and what the admissions team is interested in learning through the responses.

5th stop – Tokyo, Japan: It was my first (and hopefully not my last) time visiting this beautiful city. I only spent 24 hours here but what I did experience was memorable to say the least. The food is fantastic, the people are so nice/friendly, the city was clean and easy to move around even though I do not know any Japanese. I sound like a broken record when I “say” that the event was successful, but when you have nearly 100 people in the audience interested in learning more about UCLA Anderson, then it is definitely worth writing about. Plus, current international students gave me explicit instructions to share how welcoming the campus environment is to incoming international students.

Final stop – home (Los Angeles): I wished I could have stayed longer in Tokyo and explore the area. But I think I will be back next year! The flight home was uneventful filled with sleeping, 2-3 movies, plenty of reading, and some email correspondence. But after 21,732 air miles in 1 week, I was happy to be in my own home again in Los Angeles…one of the BEST cities in the world!

-- Alex Lawrence

Assistant Dean and Director - MBA Admissions and Financial Aid
UCLA Anderson School of Management

Today’s post is from Alex Lawrence, Assistant Dean & Director of Admissions for the Full-Time MBA Program. Alex is a UCLA Anderson MBA alum (Class of 1999), spending his post-MBA career working in Management Consulting prior to returning to UCLA Anderson, where he served as the Executive Director of The Riordan Program prior to joining the Admissions team.

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Round 1 Deadline on October 2nd! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Round 1 Deadline on October 2nd!
This blog post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

APPLICATION INSIDER TOPIC:

ROUND 1 DEADLINE

Our first application deadline of the season is on Tuesday, October 2, and we already have hundreds of applications flowing in for this Round 1. If you need a refresher on what you need to submit, please visit our Application Requirements page.  If you cannot make this October deadline, don’t worry – our biggest round each year is Round 2 with a January 8th deadline. As a reminder, read our previous Application Insider post that covered some of the pros and cons of applying in each round.

For those who will be applying in our first round, interview invitations will start going out in early October, and the Admissions Committee will be taking the time in autumn to carefully assemble this first part of our next MBA class.  All Round 1 decisions will be released by mid-December.

If you are able to visit us on campus, please note that classes have just begun so we encourage you to sign up for a Campus Experience that features class visits, campus tours and more.  Registration is now open – RSVP soon since spots are limited! Even if you have already submitted your application, it's always a good idea to continue to gain a better understanding of our program.

For those applying in Round 1, we wish you the best of luck! And to everyone, if you have any questions, we are here to help.

Check back for more "Application Insider" blog posts that will cover information and tips on the many aspects of applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program!

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Visit UCLA Anderson! Sign up for a Campus Experience [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Visit UCLA Anderson! Sign up for a Campus Experience

We invite you to preview the UCLA Anderson experience by participating in our MBA Campus Experience program during Fall Quarter -- programming began this week and will end the last week of November. We strongly recommend you sign up if you are able, as this will be your last opportunity until students return to campus in January (this is especially important for those considering applying Round 2!)

Our Campus Experience offerings may include General Information Session (GIS) presentations, school tours, class visits, and coffee chats. These events are great ways to learn more about the MBA program, our culture and individual experiences through the career recruiting process and club involvement.

• General Information Session (GIS) Presentation
    Learn about what sets us apart as a leading MBA program, pick up tips on how to successfully navigate the admissions process and get answers to your questions. Sessions are held generally on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:00 PM and are hosted by a second-year student ambassador or an admissions officer.

• School Tour
    Stroll through our beautiful campus and surrounding grounds with a student ambassador tour guide to see how our students make the most of our world class facilities. Tours are offered generally on Mondays and Wednesdays during the academic year at 4:00 PM.

• Class Visit
    Join our students in an actual full-time MBA class and experience the collaborative environment among our students and faculty. Classes are generally held Monday through Thursday during the academic year.

• Coffee Chats
    Learn first-hand from a current student all about our culture and opportunities at UCLA Anderson. Grab your favorite beverage and join the conversation. Student coffee chats are offered at varying times Monday through Thursday.
If you can’t join us in person on-campus, you can still connect with us online at an General Information Session Webinar hosted by a student ambassador or admissions officer on most Thursdays from 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM and/or watch one our featured students on a Liveguide webinar session (check out the archives!) as they share highlights of their personal MBA journeys.

-- Ilana Van Allen '13, Associate Director of MBA Admissions

---

Stay in Touch: Introduce YourselfFollow the Admissions Team @uclaMBA:  Twitter and Instagramhttps://bit.ly/uclaMBAIntroduceYourselfQuestions? Contact us at: mba.admissions@anderson.ucla.edu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Reapplicants [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Reapplicants
This blog post is part of our "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.

REAPPLICANTS

If you were unsuccessful in getting admitted into our MBA program, do not be discouraged! Sometimes there is just not enough room for all of the qualified candidates, or perhaps you needed a bit more time to strengthen the competitiveness of your profile.  The good news is that the applicant pool changes every year and you have additional time to improve your candidacy, so we highly encourage individuals to re-apply to our program. Every year, we accept a group of highly qualified re-applicants to our program, who go on to be very successful throughout the MBA program and into their post-MBA careers.

When the Admissions Committee reviews re-applicant profiles, we want to see that you have taken this additional time to strengthen your candidacy. To do so, we recommend that you take an honest look at your prior application and reflect on where you can strengthen your profile. Some areas you may want to evaluate include:

• Test Scores: Many of our re-applicants use the additional time to re-take the GMAT/GRE to help improve their candidacy. The higher the score, the better, but look at our class profile GMAT averages and 80% range to help you evaluate whether or not you should take the test again -- also remember that we admit individuals below (and above) these averages every year.  Ultimately, if you believe you can do better on the exam, you may want to consider re-taking it if you believe it will improve your candidacy and is worth your time, energy, and money. Note that your standardized test scores (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL and IELTS) remain on file if previously reported, though scores are still subject to expiration dates.
  • Academics: While you cannot change your undergraduate GPA, if you feel your academic performance was sub par or that you didn't demonstrate your ability to handle quantitative work, you may want to consider taking additional course(s)...and perform well in those courses! The Admissions Committee will still be evaluating your undergraduate performance as a part of your profile, but additional coursework may help demonstrate your ability to handle the academic rigor of our program. 
  • Professional & Extracurricular Experiences: In the the time since your prior application, you should have had sufficient time to build upon your professional experiences (i.e., new skillsets, accomplishments, projects, etc.) and extracurricular activities (i.e., new leadership opportunities, volunteering, etc.). Make sure to highlight these in your application.
  • Self-reflection & Research: Take the time to think about what you communicated in your previous application (especially in your essay) and ask yourself some of these questions: Have my post-MBA goals changed? Did I demonstrate why now is the right time in my career path to get an MBA? Do I have a better understanding of what UCLA Anderson's program has to offer me?  Was I clear in my goals and why I want to go to UCLA Anderson? Your re-application will be a fresh start for you, meaning it is definitely OK to have new goals if you feel they have changed. 
The good news is that the process to re-apply is streamlined for those who submitted a completed UCLA Anderson full-time MBA application within the previous two years (i.e., who applied for the MBA program start in 2017 or 2018 -- if you applied prior to the previous two years, you are considered a "new" applicant). You will only need to submit one new recommendation and you will be asked to respond to a different essay question, which is the following for this application season:

Please describe your career progress since you last applied and how you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

Here's an insider tip to consider as you respond to this re-applicant essay question and put together your application: The Admissions Committee member may reference your entire previous application to provide context, but do not assume that they will necessarily do so. This is a positive for you because you're essentially starting with a fresh slate. But this also does mean you need to communicate everything you want the Admissions Committee to know that you may have covered in your prior application, in addition to highlighting any updates and progress you have made.

Ultimately, your reapplication gives you a fresh start and puts you on the same evaluation standards as first-time applicants, giving you absolutely no disadvantage to reapplying.

Check back for more "Application Insider" blog posts that will cover information and tips on the many aspects of applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Apply to the Forté MBALaunch Program! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Apply to the Forté MBALaunch Program!

UCLA Anderson is a proud partner of the Forté Foundation organization, and we wanted to share this opportunity to apply for the Forté MBALaunch program for prospective MBAs.

Forté MBALaunch is a hands-on 10-month program for pre-MBA women. This program's goal is to help you showcase your unique story, strengthen your application and become the best business school candidate possible.

MBALaunch gives you a clear road map to help you navigate the entire MBA application process — from GMAT study prep, to application tips, to practice on admissions interviews. The program includes a application fee waivers, monthly webinars, peer group meetings, and coaching from experienced advisors.

What You'll Get
  • Tailored, intensive GMAT study help from the leading GMAT test prep companies
  • Connections with hundreds of women who have similar MBA goals
  • Insights and advice about the admissions process from current students and alumnae
  • Webinars on building a top-notch application
  • Coaching appointments with admissions representatives from leading business schools
  • Peer group meetings and application feedback from your peers and MBA alumnae advisors
  • Application fee waivers from 35+ Forté schools and discounts from leading GMAT test prep providers and admissions consultants
  • One month of Forté Premium Access Pass when you apply

Application Deadlines
  • Round 1: Oct. 8 -- Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C.
  • Round 2: Oct. 15 -- Atlanta, Boston, Houston, London, San Francisco, Seattle and Toronto
  • Final deadline for all cities: Oct. 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Guest Blog: Social Life at Anderson [#permalink]
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Guest Blog: Social Life at Anderson
Today's guest blog comes from David Wang, Section E social chair and my fellow section-mate. Read on to learn about his transformative experience at Anderson and his tips for how to make the most of the only two years you'll have at business school! Name: David Wang Hometown: Columbus, OH Undergrad Institution: Cornell University Pre-Business School: Cancer Research Summer Internship: Product Manager at Renovate America (Clean Energy) Post-Anderson (industry): Tech Whenever I’m asked about business school, I always describe it as being more work but also way more fun than I expected. What you will quickly learn about the MBA experience is that it’s absolutely what you make of it. That is true not only for academics and recruiting, but also your social life. One of the biggest regrets I hear from graduates, and even students finishing up their first year is that they wish they invested more time into going out to social events and getting to know the people in their class. As a natural introvert, I knew this would be a challenge, so I put myself in a position where I would be forced to mingle – I ran for section social chair. This turned out to be the single best decision of my Anderson career. Was it a lot of work? Yes. Was I obligated to turn up on many occasions when I’d rather be in bed watching Netflix? You bet. But looking back, the benefits far outweigh everything else. From happy hours, football tailgates, section...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Visit The MBA Insider's Blog! [#permalink]
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Visit The MBA Insider's Blog!
PLEASE VISIT THE MBA INSIDER'S BLOG FOR CURRENT POSTS https://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/ In an effort to consolidate and streamline our blogs, we will be merging The MBA Student Voice blog into The MBA Insider's Blog, where you can read informative posts geared for prospective MBA applicants, written by UCLA Anderson Admissions staff, MBA students, and guest contributors. We are in the process of transferring past posts over from this blog to The MBA Insider's Blog -- in the interim, you can still access all archival posts on this site. Thank you! -- UCLA Anderson MBA Admissions Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Preparing for FEMBA [#permalink]
FROM UCLA Current FEMBA Students: Preparing for FEMBA
Hi Everyone, Here is a fun and useful post from Terry Shea, a FEMBA 2016 student. It is very well written and contains useful tips as you start this new journey of the FEMBA program. I recommend to connect with Terry on LinkedIn too. Here is his LinkedIn profile URL...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
My first official week at UCLA Anderson! [#permalink]
FROM UCLA Current FEMBA Students: My first official week at UCLA Anderson!
Hey Everyone, We have been on a summer break here at FEMBA and there have been great summer courses and International trips to Argentina, South Africa and South Korea. We'll write more about it in the upcoming few weeks. For now, we have a blog post from Geetha Rajan (FEMBA...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: What We Look For In Applicants [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: What We Look For In Applicants

CORE QUALITIES WE LOOK FOR IN APPLICANTS

At UCLA Anderson, our students all share certain values that we look for when crafting an open-minded, diverse and talented class. However, this is a two-way street for both school and applicant. One of the most important things when applying and then ultimately choosing an MBA program is finding your “fit”. You want to make sure your values align with the culture of the program. As you progress in evaluating MBA programs and preparing your application, it's important to ensure your values align with a school. Your work experiences, life choices and opportunities may differ coming onto campus but you will be united by your core qualities as future leaders: the desire to share success, think fearlessly and drive change.

When evaluating your application for these qualities, the admissions committee will review the various elements of your profile to see your strengths and contributions to the class in addition to areas for growth where you would benefit from our program and community. We also want to see a road map on how Anderson will help you get to your specific goals. Developing a compelling future plan and tying it to the Anderson experience may be the hardest part of an MBA application. However, it all starts with doing your homework -- on yourself and on the school. You must ask yourself three questions: 1) Why an MBA? 2) Why an MBA now? And 3) Why an MBA from Anderson? We understand how plans can change once you get to business school and are exposed to more opportunities, but we have to know that you can focus and build a plan when needed to accomplish your goals, whatever they may become.

As an applicant, you should take a step back and review your profile to see if you can play your “ACE” card to make yourself a strong candidate for UCLA Anderson:

• Academic Profile: UCLA Anderson is a rigorous school and we expect our students are able to master the business fundamentals of our core curriculum in order to be successful in their academics and eventually, their career. When we discuss academics, we are looking at your test scores (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS) and your undergrad grades. However, those are just two data points to a story within academics. We will take a deeper dive in your academic profile by determining the rigor of your undergraduate school, major, and coursework, your trends in grades, as well as other academic achievements to get a better sense of the context of your achievements.
  • Contribution to Anderson: Sharing success is in the DNA of the Anderson community. We need students who will engage with their peers in a meaningful and impactful way during their time here and after. Our students support one another by creating opportunities and changes that benefit all. This might mean taking on leadership roles in our Anderson Student Association (ASA) and 40+ clubs or leading one of our Anderson Career Teams. We will assess this by looking at your prior involvement and/or leadership on-campus during your undergraduate studies, in the workplace, and/or through your community. All students need to add something special to the class, so we look for those who will bolster the diversity of voices here from different backgrounds, regions, and interest areas.

• Employability: Accelerating your career is one of the top reasons to pursue an MBA, so how prepared are you to achieve your goals? How focused and attainable are your goals? Your resume and letters of recommendations will guide us in determining which transferable job skills will carry you to future roles, especially if you are looking to pivot function or industry. We also want to see personal skills such as communication, coachability, interpersonal skills, collaboration, and how you receive feedback. Career progression is important as well, so we will take into account promotions or taking on greater responsibility over time and driving change within your organization. As always, we evaluate progress in the context of the time you had and in terms of a bridge to the future.
Through each of these areas, we can compile a complete picture of you and how your core qualities align with our community here at UCLA Anderson in sharing success, thinking fearlessly, and driving change.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Apply to the Forté MBALaunch Program! [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: Apply to the Forté MBALaunch Program!

UCLA Anderson is a proud partner of the Forté Foundation organization, and we wanted to share this opportunity to apply for the Forté MBALaunch program for prospective MBAs.

Forté MBALaunch is a hands-on 10-month program for pre-MBA women. This program's goal is to help you showcase your unique story, strengthen your application and become the best business school candidate possible.

MBALaunch gives you a clear road map to help you navigate the entire MBA application process — from GMAT study prep, to application tips, to practice on admissions interviews. The program includes a application fee waivers, monthly webinars, peer group meetings, and coaching from experienced advisors.

What You'll Get
  • Tailored, intensive GMAT study help from the leading GMAT test prep companies
  • Connections with hundreds of women who have similar MBA goals
  • Insights and advice about the admissions process from current students and alumnae
  • Webinars on building a top-notch application
  • Coaching appointments with admissions representatives from leading business schools
  • Peer group meetings and application feedback from your peers and MBA alumnae advisors
  • Application fee waivers from 35+ Forté schools and discounts from leading GMAT test prep providers and admissions consultants
  • One month of Forté Premium Access Pass when you apply

Application Deadlines
  • Round 1: Oct. 8 -- Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C.
  • Round 2: Oct. 15 -- Atlanta, Boston, Houston, London, San Francisco, Seattle and Toronto
  • Final deadline for all cities: Oct. 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: What We Look For In Applicants [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: What We Look For In Applicants

CORE QUALITIES WE LOOK FOR IN APPLICANTS

At UCLA Anderson, our students all share certain values that we look for when crafting an open-minded, diverse and talented class. However, this is a two-way street for both school and applicant. One of the most important things when applying and then ultimately choosing an MBA program is finding your “fit”. You want to make sure your values align with the culture of the program. As you progress in evaluating MBA programs and preparing your application, it's important to ensure your values align with a school. Your work experiences, life choices and opportunities may differ coming onto campus but you will be united by your core qualities as future leaders: the desire to share success, think fearlessly and drive change.

When evaluating your application for these qualities, the admissions committee will review the various elements of your profile to see your strengths and contributions to the class in addition to areas for growth where you would benefit from our program and community. We also want to see a road map on how Anderson will help you get to your specific goals. Developing a compelling future plan and tying it to the Anderson experience may be the hardest part of an MBA application. However, it all starts with doing your homework -- on yourself and on the school. You must ask yourself three questions: 1) Why an MBA? 2) Why an MBA now? And 3) Why an MBA from Anderson? We understand how plans can change once you get to business school and are exposed to more opportunities, but we have to know that you can focus and build a plan when needed to accomplish your goals, whatever they may become.

As an applicant, you should take a step back and review your profile to see if you can play your “ACE” card to make yourself a strong candidate for UCLA Anderson:

• Academic Profile: UCLA Anderson is a rigorous school and we expect our students are able to master the business fundamentals of our core curriculum in order to be successful in their academics and eventually, their career. When we discuss academics, we are looking at your test scores (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, IELTS) and your undergrad grades. However, those are just two data points to a story within academics. We will take a deeper dive in your academic profile by determining the rigor of your undergraduate school, major, and coursework, your trends in grades, as well as other academic achievements to get a better sense of the context of your achievements.
  • Contribution to Anderson: Sharing success is in the DNA of the Anderson community. We need students who will engage with their peers in a meaningful and impactful way during their time here and after. Our students support one another by creating opportunities and changes that benefit all. This might mean taking on leadership roles in our Anderson Student Association (ASA) and 40+ clubs or leading one of our Anderson Career Teams. We will assess this by looking at your prior involvement and/or leadership on-campus during your undergraduate studies, in the workplace, and/or through your community. All students need to add something special to the class, so we look for those who will bolster the diversity of voices here from different backgrounds, regions, and interest areas.

• Employability: Accelerating your career is one of the top reasons to pursue an MBA, so how prepared are you to achieve your goals? How focused and attainable are your goals? Your resume and letters of recommendations will guide us in determining which transferable job skills will carry you to future roles, especially if you are looking to pivot function or industry. We also want to see personal skills such as communication, coachability, interpersonal skills, collaboration, and how you receive feedback. Career progression is important as well, so we will take into account promotions or taking on greater responsibility over time and driving change within your organization. As always, we evaluate progress in the context of the time you had and in terms of a bridge to the future.
Through each of these areas, we can compile a complete picture of you and how your core qualities align with our community here at UCLA Anderson in sharing success, thinking fearlessly, and driving change.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Resume [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Resume

RESUME

As you probably have heard ad nauseam by now, the evaluation of MBA applications is a very holistic process. This means that we are going to look at all the pieces of information submit to make sure we understand who you are and what you can contribute to the educational process and your future classmates.

In addition to setting up the chronology of your educational and professional accomplishments and listing extra-curricular activities, a solid resume communicates that you can present yourself in a professional manner and that you have thoughtfully and carefully curated the information that would be most relevant to your MBA application.

Here are some tips to help you as you prepare your resume:

• Your resume should work like your personal sales rep. It needs to showcase your value and your potential, highlighting expertise, accomplishments and transferable skills.
  • While we require no specific resume format we recommend that you keep your resume clean, relevant concise. One or two pages are typically all you will need.
  • Consider using the S-T-A-R framework to convey your accomplishments, leadership and progression:
    • SITUATION ― mention the challenge/obstacle you had to overcome
    • TASK ― describe the purpose and task at hand
    • ACTION ― list the concrete actions you took and the skills it required to solve the issue.
    • RESULTS ― summarize the outcome in a quantifiable manner to show your direct impact.
  • Don’t forget to include newly received responsibilities or promotions so we are current with your most recent accomplishments.
  • Your extracurricular involvement helps round out your professional experience and often serves as an indicator of how involved you will be as a student or alum. Make sure to list your most meaningful undergraduate and post-grad involvement in the relevant section of your resume (include the name of the organization, your position or role and dates of involvement).
  • Remember to be strategic about the information that you choose to share with the committee on your resume. Everything you are listing in the page should be with the express purpose of supporting your application.
  • Try not to use industry-specific jargon. You want your reader -- regardless of their background -- to understand what you have done.
  • Make sure you are highlighting your successes and transferable skills to show how you can make an impact and contribute to our community.
  • Make sure the timelines you are using make sense. If there are big gaps of employment, you should probably think about explaining them in the appropriate essay available in the application.
  • Last but not least, don’t neglect the basics. Proofread and avoid careless typos or grammar mistakes. Attention to detail is key here.
We hope that these tips can be of help as you work on preparing a great application.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Academics [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Academics

ACADEMICS

We mentioned in an earlier post that UCLA Anderson is a rigorous school and we expect that our students are able to master the business fundamentals of our core curriculum in order to be successful in their academics and eventually, their careers. However, equally important to each student being successful, we want all our MBA students to benefit from the rigorous academics here at UCLA Anderson and to help their fellow classmates learn as well. This is one way we “share success.” You will find that the Learning Teams you are in will be critical to your academic success. To ensure that all students are academically fit, we carefully screen all applicants to ensure that they can thrive here based on their past performance in school. We will analyze the whole undergraduate record and for those who also have prior graduate degrees, we examine those too. We will take a deep dive into your academic profile by determining the rigor of your undergraduate school, major, and coursework, your trends in grades, as well as other academic accolades to get a better sense of the context of your achievements. If you are an international applicant, we will evaluate your file based on your country’s own system. There is no need for you to convert GPAs into an American 4.0 scale, nor will we do that.

What we look for in each file is a record of above-average achievement, and if there are weak spots then we seek offsetting strong points (e.g., a trend of grades getting better over time, final two-years GPA, quantitative coursework). Quantitative coursework is a plus since the MBA program core is quant-based, but we aspire for academic diversity to add value into the classroom. You’ll see in our class profile that only 25% of the in-coming class have a business related undergraduate degree. Overall, the applicants we tend to like are those who consistently performed above their peers in similar schools and concentrations.

There are other ways to boost your academic profile if you feel that you need to enhance your undergraduate degree. Professional certifications such as a CPA or CFA, or a whole graduate degree, can help too. However, these are pretty industry specific and likely time consuming for most. You can also take classes in accounting, finance, and statistics at a local college and send those transcripts over. Although it won’t be counted towards your undergraduate GPA, we will look at as an additional data point. Just remember that the application review process is one that is holistic, so you do not need to only rely on the academic portion to be a successful applicant.

On a logistical note, please do not send us hard-copy documents unless we request them (generally this will happen along with an interview invitation). The scans you upload with the application are sufficient for our preliminary evaluation. Please see our application requirements website for more information on academic evaluations and other aspects of the application.

The academic environment at UCLA Anderson is fast-paced and challenging, and we welcome those who are well-prepared to come join in for the benefit of all!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Extracurricular Activities and Lead [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Extracurricular Activities and Leadership Roles

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND LEADERSHIP ROLES

Here at UCLA Anderson, our community -- including students, alumni, faculty, and staff -- is defined by three core qualities: we share success, think fearlessly and drive change. When you apply to Anderson, your extracurricular activities and leadership roles in your undergraduate studies, workplace and/or community can help to show us how you have exhibited these qualities to leave an impact.

Overall, the Admissions Committee is looking for the QUALITY of your involvement and leadership roles, NOT quantity. We look to your prior involvement since we believe your past is a good predictor for how involved you will be on Anderson's student-run campus. Did you know that our 40+ student clubs and leaders help to host over 400 events every year? Recruiters and employers also see your past leadership experiences and involvement at Anderson as signs of your future leadership interest and potential in their organizations.

You may have been involved in activities you've since forgotten or have had varying levels of involvement in depending on other events in your life. Here are some great examples to hopefully jog your memory (or inspire you to get involved again...it's never too late to start!):

University/College Activities

• College athletics: Team captain? Most Valuable Player? Operations manager?
  • Leadership role in a campus club, non-profit organization, sorority or fraternity 
  • Writer or Editor of a campus publication
  • Mentor for high school students
  • Orientation leader or campus tour guide
  • Volunteer missions
  • Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)
  • Case competitions 
  • Peer tutor
Post-College Activities

• Leadership role in an alumni association
  • Continued involvement/role in non-profits or professional organizations
  • Workplace engagement teams
  • Volunteer team leader
  • Public speaking or teaching roles
  • Active role in political organizations or local campaigns
  • Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) role
  • Founder of a non-profit or community event
One of the most common questions we get is why college activities might still be of relevance or interest to the admissions committee given that they may have happened 5-10 years ago. If you think about it, college life is similar to MBA life in that once again, you'll be balancing academics with career recruiting and social activities. Your past involvement gives us some indicator of your ability to contribute to your community while succeeding in these other areas at the same time. If you didn't balance it well in college, let us know how you have grown professionally and personally to be able to manage effectively as a student. In the end, we value all contributions, big and small, that our students make to create the amazing environment and culture that we have on campus!

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Career Pathing [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Career Pathing

CAREER PATHING

Thinking Through Your Short- and Long-term Goals

Before pursuing an MBA, it’s important to carefully think through why you want to pursue this particular degree, what you hope to gain, and how it will impact your career. This is why career pathing is crucial to submitting a compelling application. It will help you decide if an MBA is right for you, determine when you should pursue an MBA, and help you focus on what you need to do in order to reach your future career goals. Career pathing will even help you decide where to apply.

The first step to career pathing is to consider your past and present experiences, and accomplishments. Think about what you’ve done so far, the skills that you’ve gained, what you like most about your experiences, and what you like least. Reflecting on your career to date will provide you with insight into your strengths and areas of development. Think about how this information can inform your decision to pursue an MBA and potentially set the foundation for your post-MBA career goals

Next, think about the type of career that you hope to have post-MBA. Be specific and narrow down the function and industry that you would be interested in pursuing. Consider what skills you will need to be successful in your post-MBA career and what you hope to accomplish throughout your career. A big part of career pathing is to also research the types of companies that you would like to target. Based on your post-MBA goals, what would be the top three companies where you would like to work?

Once you’ve taken a thorough look at your pre-MBA work experience and thought through your post-MBA goals, you can then focus on how you will use your time in an MBA program. Understanding the transferable skills that you already have, will help you target the areas that you want to develop further through an MBA program. When evaluating the skills that you want to develop further, you should consider both “hard” and “soft” skills. Hard skills refer to specific teachable abilities or skill sets, such as improving your quantitative background or focusing on a specific specialization. Soft skills tend to be more interpersonal in nature. For example, you may want to improve your teamwork ability, your communication, and/or your leadership skills. Consider not just the skills that you want to gain, but how you will gain them. Are there particular courses, clubs, or career resources that you will benefit from?

An MBA will help you bridge the gap between where you currently are in your career and where you want to be in the future. You want to understand your motivations for pursuing an MBA, your current skillsets, and areas of development, so that you can pinpoint what resources you will need for your continued development and ultimately decide which MBA programs you are targeting. Creating an outline with this information will not only help you understand the impact that an MBA can have on your life and career, but it will also make it easier for you to write compelling MBA essays and support your MBA plan throughout the application process.

---

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Choosing an MBA Program [#permalink]
FROM NewsUCLA: UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Choosing an MBA Program

CHOOSING AN MBA PROGRAM

With our Round 1 release date in a few weeks, we wanted to give you some food for thought over as you consider your options -- below you'll find some recommendations for action items to take to help you make a decision. If you're applying in Rounds 2 or 3, hopefully this post will give you a quick look into what to expect once the applications and interviews are all done!

(1) Connect (or re-connect) with students and alumni

Once you've gotten admitted into a program, it's natural that the type of questions you have will change. Share the good news with people you interacted with along the way, and take this opportunity to set up follow-up conversations to discuss your next-level questions. At UCLA Anderson, we pair you exclusively with a student buddy and an alumni buddy once you're admitted so there will be two more additional resources for you, too.

(2) Save the date for admit weekends

Even if you've visited the school before submitting your application, we highly recommend visiting on admit weekends. These events are the best way to assess a school's location, culture and overall environment, in addition to meeting your potential future classmates. Anderson's Round One Welcome (AROW) and Anderson Days (A-Days for Rounds 1 and 2) feature sessions with our top-ranked Parker Career Management Center, faculty spotlights, housing tours, student-hosted dinners, 1-on-1 loan advising sessions, and more.

(3) Consult your personal "Board of Advisors"

At the end of the day, you want to attend the best program possible for you and your goals. Assemble a list of the people in your life who are your personal and professional mentors that can advise you. Don't forget your "gut feelings", too -- those intangible qualities about a school that leave you feeling more empowered, inspired, and included can make the difference between an "ok" MBA experience and a life-changing one.

I also encourage you to think beyond the immediate post-MBA job. I am proud to call UCLA Anderson my home because of what our school stands for -- sharing success, thinking fearlessly and driving change - and how we live those values every day.  My classmates and professors pushed me to a new level of potential, and I am so excited that UCLA Anderson could be a part of your journey!

---
GMAT Club Bot
UCLA Anderson Application Insider: Choosing an MBA Program [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10