Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [77]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [45]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [8]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Send PM
Re: The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO A.....
A) some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter----Clear & consise
B) some being formed as a commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all of which had written charters
C) some that as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all had written charters
D) with some being formed as a commercial venture, others as religious havens, all had written charters
E) with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter----changes the meaning with some formed as--with is not needed here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 896 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Re: The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mrsmarthi wrote:
The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

A) some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter
B) some being formed as a commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all of which had written charters
C) some that as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all had written charters
D) with some being formed as a commercial venture, others as religious havens, all had written charters
E) with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

I went this way:
each had a written charter[/u] that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

We should use each instead of all. "All" is used when discussed about common issues. Here colonies had unique charter - so, go with "each"

B,C,D - out

E. with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter

With is absolutely redundant. colonies ... some formed as

We leave with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Correct me if i am wrong but a comma can be used only for two reasons
1.) separate a non essential modifier
2.) separate different items of a similar list
3.) used with subordinator words to joi a main clause with a sub ordinate clause , ot with cojunctions to join two main clauses.

Now here If we dont use with and while then the sentance is like
Some colonies, modifier, modifier, have something.
If we use with and while
it becomes Main clause-Subordinator(some are ...-Subrodinator- ... other ), have charter.

Can two modifiers follow the subject with just a comma ? or by way of idiomatic usage that entine sentence Some x other Y becomes a single modifier.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [6]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The thirteen original Britishcolonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens,each had a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

The stem now reduces to : The 13 colonies ................................ ( EACH/ALL)............... had charter/s............ THAT set forth ITS form of Govt..........AND........Y

B : all of which = Eliminated

ITS in the non-underlined portion signifies that the referrent is clearly each individual colony

Thus C / D = ALL = Eliminated

Left with A n E :

A : The 13 colonies , ......... some formed as X, others formed as Y

E : The 13 colonies , .......WITH some formed as X, WHILE others formed as Y

E : Does addition of With / While makes any sense or helps us in getting a clearer view of the intent = Guess NO = Eliminated

Left with A , my take.

Rgds SKM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The thirteen original British colonies in North America, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

(A) some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, each had a written charter - Correct

(B) some being formed as a commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all of which had written charters - Usage of being formed

(C) some that as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, all had written charters - same issue as B

(D) with some being formed as a commercial venture, others as religious havens, all had written charters - usage of being formed;

"The colonies each had a charter." That correctly implies: 13 colonies, 13 charters.
"The colonies all had a charter." That incorrectly implies: 13 colonies, 1 grand charter for everyone.

(E) with some formed as commercial ventures, while others as religious havens, each had a written charter - "with" wrongly suggests that "some" refers not to the colonies themselves but to something that the colonies came with. to suggest that you're referring to the colonies themselves (which you are), you need modifiers of the type used in the correct answer (a).

* "while" MUST be used with a clause or __ing phrase. it can't be used with a construction that doesn't contain any sort of verb form (such as this one, which is just noun + prepositional phrase).

I found the above explanations in BTG and Manhattan GMAT forum.

1. Can we reject option B on the basis that there is no main verb in the sentence because all of which is a relative clause?

2. Also, is there any difference between "all had written charters" and "each had a written charter". I understand that "all had a written charter" means different - all of them together had a charter.

3. Please let me know any other way to eliminate options in this question.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , daagh , ccooley , other experts - please enlighten
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Skywalker

I do not think all of which starts a relative clause in B. All is the noun and 'of which' is just a prepositional modifier, and the whole phrase makes a noun phrase. It is an IC.

All had written charters, and each had a charter will mean the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please help with this question ? I am unable to find any verb for the subject "British Colonies"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Manas, had the simple past tense verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Manas, had the simple past tense verb.

The thirteen original British colonies in North America (Subject) Should not this have a verb too ? I know this would make the sentence a comma splice error but I am not able to understand how a modfier(each) can take the verb of the main subject leaving the British Colonies with out a verb ?
, some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens, Modifiers
each(Subject) had(verb) a written charter that set forth its form of government and the rights of the colonists.

Please help
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Manas1212 wrote:
The thirteen original British colonies in North America (Subject) Should not this have a verb too ?

Yes Manas, this is indeed the subject (and had is the verb for this subject).

The structure is like this:

They each had a plan.

This is equivalent to:

Each of them had a plan.

On the other hand, if the sentence was just:

They had a plan.

This could mean that they jointly (rather than individually) had a plan.

So, in the sentence under consideration, each has just been introduced to emphasize the individual nature of each of the British colonies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja
what's "its(in the non underlined portion)" is referring to ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,
Kshitij
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos