Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [40]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [4]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
During the nineteenth century Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"sketching and keeping journals" is a participle adjective modifying Emily Eden and Fanny Parks (strange surnames though)

In A "forming' incorrectly modifies jourrnals + incorrect usage of "past perfect" in sentences where actions in the past follow one by one, Simple past is used

In B not parallel construction

In C incorrect usage of present perfect (whole sentence must be in past simple tense

In D incorret usage of non esssential modifier "which" requring comma

In E all is correct (though one question i have "that" refers to the word next to it i.e. to "journals" how should i prove that "that" refers this phrase "sketching and keeping journals" is there a rule ?

Preparing for GMAT is like hoovering the desert
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
During the nineteenth century, Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed throughout India, sketching and keeping journals forming the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had visited.

(E) that formed the basis of news reports about the princely states they

DAVE wrote

Quote:
In E, all is correct (though one question I have "that" refers to the word next to it i.e. to "journals" how should I prove that "that" refers this phrase "sketching and keeping journals" is there a rule?

E. During the nineteenth century, Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed throughout India, sketching and keeping journals that formed the basis of news reports about the princely states they visited

In the end, it was the journals that formed the basis of the news reports. It does not make a difference whether the journals were sketched, photographed, or kept. It is also in line with the touch rule of the restrictive pronoun 'that'.

Originally posted by daagh on 20 Nov 2018, 11:07.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Nov 2018, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [2]
Send PM
Re: During the nineteenth century Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
generis wrote:
[textarea]

Project SC Butler: Day 13: Sentence Correction (SC2)

During the nineteenth century Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed throughout India, sketching and keeping journals forming the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had visited.

(A) forming the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had
(B) that were forming the basis of news reports about the princely states
(C) to form the basis of news reports about the princely states which they have
(D) which had formed the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had
(E) that formed the basis of news reports about the princely states they

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• In choice A it is not immediately clear whether forming modifies journals or parallels sketching and keeping.

Also, where they had visited is wordy and inappropriate for a simple reference to past events.

• Choice B does not establish who visited the princely states, and
that were forming should be that formed.

• Choice C is unclear because to form could be read as either
in order to form or so as to form,
and the present perfect have visited does not agree with the past tense journeyed.

• In choice D, as in choice A, where they had is [too verbose for simple past tense]
and
had formed suggests that the journals and news reports existed before the journey.

• E is best for this question.

-------------------------------
That OE is pretty good.

Takeaway: most of the time, if simple past sets the tone in the non-underlined
portion, look for a narrative of chronological events.

If you see such a narrative, stay with simple past.
Yes, GMAC likes to test past perfect, but if the narrative is sequentially sound,
simple past tense is better.
The writing is better. Simple past does not need auxiliary verbs such as have, was, have been . . .
Auxiliary verbs slow things down. They create a passive voice. Such a voice is not needed in a story
about two independent and spirtited women traveling through a vast country in search of
information to share.

Quote:
dave13: Preparing for GMAT is like hoovering the desert.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dave13 , I had to read that one a few times.
I thought, "Hoovering?"
"Does he mean hovering? Why would anyone hover . . . and where is the prep-o . . . wait a minute.
He means vacuuming."

Prateekj05 wrote

Quote:
Quote:
(A) forming the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had

Quote:
(D) which had formed the basis of news reports about the princely states where they had

In both the above statements, had is not needed.

True. Why?
Answer: because the tone is set in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.
Eden and Parks journeyED.
Simple past tense.

This sentence contains linear events.
They traveled throughout India. They sketched and kept journals about the princely states
they visited, sources from which subsequent news reports were published.

The explanation of (B) in the OE is easier to see when the option is inserted, thus:
During the nineteenth century Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed throughout India,
sketching and keeping journals that were forming the basis of news reports about the princely states visited.
...princely states visited by whom?

If time sequence is not an issue, as dave13 points out,
Quote:
where actions in the past follow one by one, Simple past is used

dave13 also notes correctly
Quote:
In D incorrect there is an incorrect usage of non esssential modifier ; "which" requir[es] a comma

(D) should say . . . THAT had formed the basis . . .
If "which" is involved as a modifier, it is preceded by a comma. See below for a link to an article about that and which.

Finally, daagh wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
In E, all is correct (though one question I have "that" refers to the word next to it i.e. to "journals" how should I prove that "that" refers this phrase "sketching and keeping journals" is there a rule?

E. During the nineteenth century, Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed throughout India, sketching and keeping journals that formed the basis of news reports about the princely states they visited

In the end, it was the journals that formed the basis of the news reports. It does make a difference whether the journals were sketched, photographed, or kept. It is also in line with the touch rule of the restrictive pronoun 'that'.

daagh first argues that the logic of the sentence requires that "journals" be modified by the THAT clause.
Those journals are the basis for subsequent news reports. This example is one of "logical predication" to which OEs often refer.
His second argument turns on the "restrictive or essential" modifier rule:

Details that are crucial to the core meaning of a sentence must
(1) NOT be set off by commas
(2) and in a that/which choice, if the modifier is essential, the pronoun is that.

This post, HERE, explains the difference between that and which (essential and non-essential modifiers)

Kudos go to Prateekj05 and dave13 :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Quote:
dave13: Preparing for GMAT is like hoovering the desert.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dave13 , I had to read that one a few times.
I thought, "Hoovering?"
"Does he mean hovering? Why would anyone hover . . . and where is the prep-o . . . wait a minute.
He means vacuuming."

generis Yes, indeed i meant to use vacuum cleaner in the desert and to try to vacuum the desert with vacuum cleaner :lol:
so yes preparing for GMAT is like vacuuming the desert. :) :lol: i thought to "hoover" means" to vacuum" :)

`
thank you for detailed explanation :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: During the nineteenth century Emily Eden and Fanny Parks journeyed [#permalink]
Please explain that how "that" in the option E is correct. I think that refers to journal and instead of that those should be come.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jrk23 wrote:
Please explain that how "that" in the option E is correct. I think that refers to journal and instead of that those should be come.

jrk23 , this question is official.

If we are going to challenge an official answer, let us at least include analysis and a question that is comprehensible.

You posted:

I think that refers to journal and instead of that those should be come. (???)

Maybe you were typing quickly.

The only part I understand:
you believe that the word that refers to journals (plural).

It does.

And the issue is?
The problem with that reference is?

That does refer to the journals. The word THAT is a relative pronoun heading up a restrictive clause attached to ("touching") the noun it modifies.

The journals, which contained a lot of information about the places the women visited, formed the basis of the news reports that the women filed when they got home.

Those news reports were about the travel.

Please explain the problem you see with this logical and grammatical construction? I don't understand what you wrote before.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts