Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need to improve my timings in CR. Any suggestions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Absolutely. Timed practice is essential. I recommend that you practice with strict timing, but then go back untimed and analyze your work. Before you check the answer, you should be able to explain why you made the choice you made, and why the other 4 choices are incorrect. If you turn out to be incorrect, you will need to recalibrate and figure out where you made a mistake in your reasoning.

By the way, some people find that they do best on CR if they allow themselves an extra 30 seconds or so as needed. If you want to experiment with going to 2:30 on some CR problems, you will just have to find that time in your overall "budget." On the other hand, you may find that extra time makes little difference to your accuracy, in which case you may want to stick to 2 minutes max.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello Dimtry,

These suggestions are helpful. Can you please suggest some similar suggestions for RC section?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Basically, everything above applies to RC above. The only difference is in how you adjust your timing. You may find that you have a particular topic area or passage type that takes you a little longer. If so, give yourself permission to read for a little longer up front. For instance, some students have a hard time with complicated science passages. If you take 5 minutes up front, rather than the usual 4 for a long passage, that only translates to an extra :15 per question. If this extra time makes the difference between getting the passage and not getting it, then it's time well-spent.

Of course, if you find yourself going over on both RC & CR on a regular basis, you have a timing problem. You need to make sure that your timing plan includes counter-balances. Where are you going to save time?

A few suggestions:

1) It's not a good idea to rush through an RC passage, or choose a passage to "write off." However, if you realize after several questions that you have misunderstood the material, it's probably not worth trying to go back and re-read the whole thing to salvage the remaining questions.

2) The best problems to drop are CR. Since SC problems are so short, you don't gain a lot of time by skipping them. That's not to say that you should skip CR problems often, but if you find yourself short on time, that's the best thing to cut.

3) While you're practicing, make a habit of analyzing your time usage. What takes you the longest? Are you spending your time productively? Are there problem types, answer choices, etc., that eat up your time? When you go overtime on a problem, do you tend to change your answer, or do you end up producing the same answer that you would have if you'd finished on time? If you run this kind of analysis, you can find safe ways to cut time, while making sure that any overtime you incur is actually helping to increase your score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!! I'll try to work on these. Basically I am having timing issues on both CR and RC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM