Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm assuming the worst that stock is no help and I am preparing with this in mind.

Paul: Thanks for offering to help. I believe I have the solution to this issue (More liquid cash, no dependence on stock, and a letter from my current employer).

The consul officer was simply rude to me; never cared to tell me that stock was not an option, and even revoked my current US visa without informing me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
wharton I-20 and rejection of F1 visa......unreal....idiot ameircan consulate...that rude guy must be jealous of you as he himself might not have finished his high school....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
For your information, usually if you are a foreign applicant the schools will offer you some potential loans. It's not an obligation but it's a possibility. In the majority of the cases the US school offers the opportunity to borrow up to the full cost of MBA (at least the tuition fees) therefore you can totally write on your F1 request that you will use loans from the school even if you don't intend too, after all you know you have this possibility but it doesn't mean that you will use it for sure
I obviously don't know your case in details but I wanted to give this tip to all the applicants because it is a very common issue and that is a potential solution. Sometimes the issue is also that you have asked for a loan from the bank but with the time and the delay you still don';t have any cash at the time you should request the F1 so this solution is really the best in my opinion (tested and approved by myself :wink: )

Good luck

Antoine
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.46
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
seek help perhaps [#permalink]
could u ask a lawyer? they would be your best bet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I returned to the consulate office two days ago for a second interview and was denied again. The embassy here in Nigeria does not consider loans appropriate. They think that if we take such loans, we'll not return - perhaps work in the US in order to pay back the loan. 4 of us, Wharton admits from Nigeria (out of 5) have been denied visas and we believe that it's the consulate's decision to continue to deny student visas to Nigerians. NB: I also have a Wharton fellowship and that didn't help.

A good friend going to HBS was also denied a visa. The situation is tearing my head apart, and I can hardly sleep. Not after all the struggle! :cry: :cry:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you contacted Wharton?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
Re: F-1 Visa Denied. Help!!! [#permalink]
Arsene,

That's very sad to hear. It's surprising why anyone would deny visa to highly valuable individuals. I mean, people like you would contribute to the US economy even if you stayed! Perhaps you should contact Wharton, or you know what - say screw it and go to IMD or INSEAD. I've seen consular interviews to Indian students in India, they are mostly rude - sometimes justified, but many times not. In your case, all that should mean nothing because you frikkin got into WHARTON!

I wish you well and hope you find some avenue.

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Guys,
I just had a big setback. F-1 Visa Denied. The US consulate in Nigeria is currently issuing so many visa denials. My problem (copying and pasting from my post in business week):

I have just been denied an F-1 visa because I was unable to demonstrate adequate financial support for my MBA. I understand that the value of ones stock is not considered a source of personal funding. However, somewhere on UChicago's student admit website, it says that one can include 75% the value of ones stock as part of your personal funding/financial contribution. Is this percentage tentative? Could someone share any links where I can get additional information about this? My next visa hearing date is next week and I plan to take along with me a printed copy of proof that 75% of your stock value is permissible, i.e. if at all it is.

Arsene
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:

Yes, Hjort, I have. Wharton is doing something about it and I have my fingers crossed pending the outcome of her efforts.

Necromonger: We'll see how it goes. I'll try to stay positive. The good thing is that I never resigned my job or requested a leave of absence. So, i'm back to my job and hoping for the best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Arsene,

My best wishes ! I am positive things will work out...

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Yes, Hjort, I have. Wharton is doing something about it and I have my fingers crossed pending the outcome of her efforts.

Necromonger: We'll see how it goes. I'll try to stay positive. The good thing is that I never resigned my job or requested a leave of absence. So, i'm back to my job and hoping for the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Guys,

I finally got my visa. Wharton intervened and the US embassy in Nigeria reviewed my application, invited me and stamped my passport.

I'm already 2 days behind classes at Wharton, but who cares? I can dream again.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hi Guys,

I finally got my visa. Wharton intervened and the US embassy in Nigeria reviewed my application, invited me and stamped my passport.

Wonderful news!!!!!!
Please be alive on the forum.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow! thats great great news.

Welcome to America.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fantastic!! That's great to hear and it's also very nice to see Wharton intervene!

We hope to hear more from the whartonian in the coming months!

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hi Guys,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
that's great news.

Pravin
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Huge Congratulations !!! I always knew life cannot be so cruel.....huge thumbs up !!!

pravinkawadkar wrote:
that's great news.

Pravin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for your well wishes, guys. I arrived Philly on Tuesday and I have catching up to do. I am available to anyone who wants to know more about Wharton (school, application, events, etc). You can email me on c_onyewuchi@yahoo.com.

BTW, I have just linked up with Baner!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
great new bro.....welcome to USA.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2