Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for reply. I've already finished reading 4 books from Manhattan (RC+CR, SC, Number Properties and Word Translations), Kaplan 2006, Kaplan 800, PR 2006 and of course the OG11. However, I feel that most of these books don't reflect the latest version of the test (from Pearson), especially concerning the Verbal.

I'm planning to take two more GMATPreps (after reinstall), but I haven't thought of taking MGMAT, thanks for tip.

Do you think it makes sense to focus mostly on review of GMATPrep problems (e.g. search the forum for GMATPrep questions)? Are these problems so similar to the real thing as people say?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
Thanks for reply. I've already finished reading 4 books from Manhattan (RC+CR, SC, Number Properties and Word Translations), Kaplan 2006, Kaplan 800, PR 2006 and of course the OG11. However, I feel that most of these books don't reflect the latest version of the test (from Pearson), especially concerning the Verbal.

I'm planning to take two more GMATPreps (after reinstall), but I haven't thought of taking MGMAT, thanks for tip.

Do you think it makes sense to focus mostly on review of GMATPrep problems (e.g. search the forum for GMATPrep questions)? Are these problems so similar to the real thing as people say?

I haven't taken the Pearson Vue test yet.
When I took the gmat, it was administered by ETS. And you know, the questions seemed very similar to those of PowerPrep. Hint: powerprep was developed by ETS, GmatPrep by Pearson Vue.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, so I took the MGMAT CAT1 today and scored horrible 620 (Q39, V36). The Verbal score is within my usual range (35-38), but the Quant score is terrible. What were your MGMAT scores? Lower than GMATPrep?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
Ok, so I took the MGMAT CAT1 today and scored horrible 620 (Q39, V36). The Verbal score is within my usual range (35-38), but the Quant score is terrible. What were your MGMAT scores? Lower than GMATPrep?

Don't worry,
MGMAT's scores greatly fluctuates. Besides, it is not an indicator of the real thing, since its scoring algorithm differs from that of pearson's. if you are having your test soon, I will advice you to stick to GMATprep, try to take its cats, solve them, re-install and solve again. Search for other questions here on gmatclub.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, so I took three more tests since the first post and my scores were:
Manhattan GMAT CAT1 - 620 (Q39, V36)
Manhattan GMAT CAT3 - 740 (Q48, V43)
GMAT PowerPrep2 - 730 (Q48, V42) - few silly mistakes in Q and repeated questions in CR

I have approximately 8 days left, so I am planning to do the following:
Take MGMAT CAT2
Take tests in the review section of GMATPrep - Is it worth it?
Take 3-4 more GMATPrep exams
Do some LSAT CRs (I'm sometimes having problems with CR, although my hit rate in OG CR was more than 80%, would this practice help?)
Study from my error log
Do Q and V problems from this forum

Can you give me any advice on this? What did you do during the last week of your preparation? I'd be grateful for any reply.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
Ok, so I took three more tests since the first post and my scores were:
Manhattan GMAT CAT1 - 620 (Q39, V36)
Manhattan GMAT CAT3 - 740 (Q48, V43)
GMAT PowerPrep2 - 730 (Q48, V42) - few silly mistakes in Q and repeated questions in CR

I have approximately 8 days left, so I am planning to do the following:
Take MGMAT CAT2
Take tests in the review section of GMATPrep - Is it worth it?
Take 3-4 more GMATPrep exams
Do some LSAT CRs (I'm sometimes having problems with CR, although my hit rate in OG CR was more than 80%, would this practice help?)
Study from my error log
Do Q and V problems from this forum

This seems like a bit too much... 5 exams in 8 days? I'd suggest skipping the MGMAT CAT2, and just doing 2 or 3 (max) extra GMATPreps - but with the essays (dont make the mistake of ignoring how much of a difference that extra hour of concentration takes). Error log is a good choice. I would avoid Q and V from this forum at this point - you are going to see too many one-off problems, usually of similar concepts (especially in quant) - I'd say you are better off opening up the OG guide, jumping to somewhere in the middle of the quant and just practice those problems. They are the closest (other than GMATPrep) that you will see. Problems on this site might come from there or from Kaplan or Princeton or anywhere else. With 8 days left, stick with the official guide.

I never tried the review sections of GMATPrep, nor any LSAT stuff, so I cant speak to that.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes when you get back!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, thanks for reply!

1) Q and V in this forum - I was rather thinking that I'll search for GMATPrep problems and solve those that I haven't seen before. Someone has suggested this in the review of his GMAT experience. I guess I'll just do it, if I find some extra time.

2) Essays - In fact I have never taken the test with both essays, but I'm definitely planning to do this in all the remaining tests. To be honest, the school I'm planning to apply for doesn't care about your AWA score and I know that I need 680 for early admission - nothing more, nothing less. That's why I'm seriously considering skipping either both essays or just one them. Do you think it would be a good idea?

3) Review sections of GMATPrep - I took PS and SC earlier today and they were both really easy. Some questions are repeated from OG, some are new, but I think the only effect of the section is higher self-confidence (since it's very unlikely that someone would make a mistake in these questions)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3904 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, i'm planning to purchase the SC, for MGMT and wasn't sure if it's worth the investment. Can you provide feedback on this book... I know it comes with 3 tests...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have 4 out of 7 MGMAT books and all of them are very good study material. Concerning SC, I think this book can really help you to improve in this area. It's definitely worth it. The online resources provided by MGMAT are also very useful and all those three tests are quite representative. If you have problems with SC, this is the best choice. You'll probably find much more information about MGMAT in the section of this forum called "Reviews".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
Rhyme, thanks for reply!
2) Essays - In fact I have never taken the test with both essays, but I'm definitely planning to do this in all the remaining tests. To be honest, the school I'm planning to apply for doesn't care about your AWA score and I know that I need 680 for early admission - nothing more, nothing less. That's why I'm seriously considering skipping either both essays or just one them. Do you think it would be a good idea?

This is your call. Personally, I'd be weary of skipping them. I dont know where you are applying, but any school that expects a 680, I would imagine, would also expect you to complete the AWA's and do reasonably well on them. I've heard of schools saying 'don't stress about the AWA' but I've never heard of a school saying 'We dont care at all what you get'.

You say the school "doesn't care about your AWA" - how do you know this? Were you told this by an admissions commitee member or did you just "hear it"?

Again, my suggestion, unless you have it in writing from teh school that you need not complete the AWA or that your AWA score is completely irrelevant, I would urge against skipping it.

I've never met anyone who skipped the AWA's.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I mean I have heard this from people who are studying at this school, but of course I don't have it officially confirmed from the school. The school is Universitaet St. Gallen in Switzerland and I'd love to do there my Master in International Management.

But I guess I can't rely on this, so I'll write both essays and see what score I get. I took the full test (including both essays and timed breaks) for the first time today and I didn't feel exhausted by the end of the verbal section, so hopefully it won't make much difference.

I have one more question concerning the scoring of quant - I know it's hard to say, but approximately how many mistakes in the section would result in 49 points? I just can't break the 48 barrier and one more point could make quite a difference. I have noticed the following pattern:
9-10 mistakes - 48
11-12 mistakes - 47
13-... mistakes - 46
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi, i am a linguist. I was good as school with mathematics, but of course forgot all the tricks and formulas. First I saw the math challenges I did not know what should I do with them, nothing to say about time pressure... My strategy was as follows:
I have started with Barrons, then Kaplan. The most difficult formulas I could not rememder I wrote in a small notebook and read it all the time during my way to work and back. It stick so good in my mind!!! As the result I have done 61% for Q. Not perfect, but not so bad if to take into consideration I was almost "o" 3 month before the test. I am preparing myself for a new one, and I have got very good recommendations in the forum. It has inspired me a lot!!! Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
I have one more question concerning the scoring of quant - I know it's hard to say, but approximately how many mistakes in the section would result in 49 points? I just can't break the 48 barrier and one more point could make quite a difference. I have noticed the following pattern:
9-10 mistakes - 48
11-12 mistakes - 47
13-... mistakes - 46

Keep working. 9-10 mistakes will definately not get you 49, unless most of them are experimental questions.

On my first attmept(ETS) it think i guessed on 3-4 questions, so the range of mistakes might have been from 0 to 4. Got 50(95%).

On my second attempt(VUE), i'm sure that I made at least 2 mistakes, and guessed on 5 questions, the range is between 2 and 7. Again got 50

2Chudik:
i should say 61% on your first challenge is not bad at all, considering that i got only 57%. Kep practicing.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, my GMAT appointment is in exactly 24 hours! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied to this post and also to all my other posts. This forum has been a great help for me and also your stories have provided inspiration as well as motivation to me. At the moment, I feel big respect to GMAT and to the makers of GMAT, but I take it definitely as a challenge in which I want to succeed. I will post my score and report in the forum tomorrow, no matter how it ends. Thanks again!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
likar wrote:
Well, my GMAT appointment is in exactly 24 hours! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied to this post and also to all my other posts. This forum has been a great help for me and also your stories have provided inspiration as well as motivation to me. At the moment, I feel big respect to GMAT and to the makers of GMAT, but I take it definitely as a challenge in which I want to succeed. I will post my score and report in the forum tomorrow, no matter how it ends. Thanks again!

Good luck and get back with good news; we will be ready with bouquet of flowers. :gl :gl
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good luck and stay calm!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
[#permalink]
Please, have some rest before the exam. Sleeps much as possible.
Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts