Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 739 [32]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [10]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la [#permalink]
haardiksharma wrote:
During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.

The modifier "During the reign of Mary I of England" is correctly modifying the noun "Elizabeth" in option A, and the rest of the sentence has not grammatical errors.

B - Incorrect usage of - "Having been"
C - Changes the meaning
D - Incorrect usage of - "will"
E - Changes the meaning

Answer is A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Re: During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would la [#permalink]
haardiksharma wrote:
During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.

The original sentence is correct as it is- it can sound awkward when you are reading the sentence clause by clause- but sometimes when you read the whole sentence quickly or in one clean swift then it makes a lot more sense.

A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Good one, I like how the pronouns are played with:

My first reaction was what 'same Elizabeth'? So I guess I will have to pick the best of the lot

A During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who would later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels. Keep - overall it makes sense. It generally feels its been taken from a paragraph or sentence which had an antecedence to it
B Having been imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protest rebels during the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth will later accede to the throne.Is she still in prison? (Past perfect usage not needed)
C Imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the same throne later fell to Elizabeth herself. Nope, the throne was not imprisoned. A 'same Elizabeth was'.
D During the reign of Mary I of England, the same Elizabeth who will later accede to the throne was imprisoned on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels. Awkward description of events - the imprisoning should follow Elizabeth not the throne ascension
E Having been imprisoned during the reign of Mary I of England on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels, the throne later fell to the same Elizabeth.Again,the throne was not imprisoned:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma ,

I do undestand why all other options are incorrect, but I have one basic doubt. Isn't "During the reign of Mary I of England" supposed to make sense with the subject :Elizebeth??

I am unsure how Elizebeth is during the reign...

Please please assist!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
haardiksharma wrote:

i
I want to say something about choice B.
having been shows that the imprision happen before "will accede". bu having been is during a reign which is in the past. so imprision must be in the past and must be hapeen before will accede. this is not clear. it is redundant. having done is used to show time and during is used to show time. this is redundant and comflicting.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
SajjitaKundu The initial modifier here is an adverbial modifier, not a noun modifier. In this case, that means it modifies the entire action that follows (Elizabeth was imprisoned), not just the adjoining noun (Elizabeth).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM