Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618765 [78]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [22]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [12]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1353 [8]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad dressing. If Larry has 8 cups of oil, 7 cups of vinegar, and access to any amount of water, what is the maximum number of cups of salad dressing he can make with the ingredients he has available, if fractional cup measurements are possible?

(A) 12
(B) 13
(C) 14
(D) 15
(E) 16

Excellent opportunity for the k technique:

\(\left\{ \matrix{\\
\,{\rm{oil}} = 3k\,\,\,\,\,\, \to \,\,\,\,\,\,3k \le 8\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,k \le 2{2 \over 3} \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{vin}} = 2k\,\,\,\,\,\, \to \,\,\,\,\,\,2k \le 7\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,k \le 3{1 \over 2} \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{wat}} = k \hfill \cr} \right.\)

\(?\,\,:\,\,\left( {3k + 2k + k} \right)\,\,{\rm{where}}\,\,k = 2{2 \over 3}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,? = 6\left( {2 + {2 \over 3}} \right) = 12 + 4 = 16\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29903 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad dressing. If Larry has 8 cups of oil, 7 cups of vinegar, and access to any amount of water, what is the maximum number of cups of salad dressing he can make with the ingredients he has available, if fractional cup measurements are possible?

(A) 12
(B) 13
(C) 14
(D) 15
(E) 16

GIVEN: oil: vinegar : water = 3 : 2 : 1

Let's first try to use ALL 8 cups of oil
Take 3 : 2 : 1 and multiply all 3 parts by 8/3 to get the EQUIVALENT ratio 8 : 16/3 : 8/3
Simplify to get: 8 : 5 1/3 : 2 2/3
So, in this case, the dressing is comprised of 8 cups of oil, 5 1/3 cups of vinegar, and 2 2/3 cups of water
Notice that we have enough vinegar to make this batch.

8 cups + 5 1/3 cups + 2 2/3 cups = 16 cups
So, the TOTAL volume = 16 cups

IMPORTANT: Notice that 16 is the biggest answer choice.
This means we need not explore what happens when we try to use ALL 7 cups on the vinegar, since the answer choices tell us that we will NOT get a value greater than 16

Answer: E

RELATED VIDEO FROM OUR COURSE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 12
(B) 13
(C) 14
(D) 15
(E) 16

This is how i solved

Notice the original ratio is 3: 2: 1 for Oil Vinegar and water.
which effectively means Oil is Half of the mixture = 3/6

Now if we know the max quantity we have is 8 cups of oil which could be = at max half the quantity of the mixture if we use the entire 8 cups of oil.

Now the other 2 ie Vinegar and Water are 2/3 * of the other half and 1/3 of other half of the mixture= 8

Or vinegar needed for the mixture if we were to use the entire 8 cups of oil = 2/3*8 = 5.3 cups of vinegar and we are told we have 7 cups at our disposal so great we need only 5.3 cups of vinegar

and water would be 1/3 of 8 = 8/3 = 2.7 cups ( We know Water availability is infinite )

So max quantity of salad we can make is 8 + 5.3 + 2.7 = 16 ans choice e
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
O+V+W =6x
6X: 1 CUP
96 X (Maximum number in option ,i.e divided by six): how many cups
cross multiply
ANS: 16
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
can someone explain the question in the task in a simple way? I could not understand it and have not been able to solve this task.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad [#permalink]
Vesper2018 wrote:
can someone explain the question in the task in a simple way? I could not understand it and have not been able to solve this task.

Well, I used a different approach-

Oil : Vinegar : Water
3 2 1

if just add them then 3x+2x+1x = S(salad)
so x= S/6 --> now assume x = 1 cup
so you can make 6 salads from above ratio

now you have -
Oil : Vinegar : Water
8 7 6(assume as we can use as much as we want)

now just make me 6 salads
Oil : Vinegar : Water = 6 ( what I am left with (8-3)C (7-2)C (6-1)C = 5C 5C 5C ) --- C=Cups
3 2 1

now make me more 6 salads
Oil : Vinegar : Water = 6 salads ( what I am left with (5-3)C (5-2)C (5-1)C = 2C 3C 4C ) --- C=Cups

total salads I have made till now are 12 and I am left with 2cups of oil, 3 cups of vinegar and 4 cups of water.
now I cannot make 6 salads but still, i can use 2 cups to make some salads. So my salads will be less than 6 and somewhat between 4 to 6

if I had 3 cups then I would have made 18 salads but I have 1 fewer cups so choose the answer nearest to less than 18 which is 16.

(These questions depend upon the approach and understanding)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The ratio of Oil to Vinegar to Water is 3:2:1, which means 3/6:2/6:1/6
Further simplifying, 1/2:1/3;1/6
we have 8 cups of vinegar so try to make the ratio of oil=8
16/2=8 so 16 cups can be made. (E)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
I don't understand the significance of the phrase "if fractional cup measurements are possible"

What is the point of the blue phrasing ?

I know all the answers are integers but perhaps, because of the blue -- we can have non-integers answers too, say like 15.5 cups of salad dressing ? Is that the point of the blue.

OR

is the point of the blue phrase - that we can perhaps use 5.5 cups / 7 cups of vinegar OR 4.5 cups / 8 cups of Oil ?

Bunuel zhanbo ScottTargetTestPrep
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I don't understand the significance of the phrase "if fractional cup measurements are possible"

What is the point of the blue phrasing ?

I know all the answers are integers but perhaps, because of the blue -- we can have non-integers answers too, say like 15.5 cups of salad dressing ? Is that the point of the blue.

OR

is the point of the blue phrase - that we can perhaps use 5.5 cups / 7 cups of vinegar OR 4.5 cups / 8 cups of Oil ?

Bunuel zhanbo ScottTargetTestPrep

It is the latter. The blue phrasing tells you that it is possible to use fractional number of cups in your recepie, such as 5.5 cups of vinegar or 4.5 cups of oil. Notice that in the 16 cups of salad dressing we obtain, there is an integer number of cups of oil, but the amount of vinegar is 16/3 cups and the amount of water is 8/3 cups. If we were told that the number of cups of each ingredient in the salad dressing was required to be an integer, the answer that we obtained would no longer be the correct answer. The purpose of the blue phrasing is to clear any confusions about this issue.

As a matter of fact, it could be the case that the quantities were required to be integers even when the question does not say anything about it. For instance, consider the following variation of this question: we need to put together a team which should contain interns, assistants, and managers in a ratio of 3 to 2 to 1. We have only 8 interns and 7 assistants, but we can find as many managers as we want. What is the largest team that we can form according to these restrictions? You cannot solve this question exactly the same way as we solved the original question, because if you did, you would find that you need 16/3 assistants and 8/3 managers, neither of which makes any sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Given: Oil, vinegar, and water are mixed in a 3 to 2 to 1 ratio to make salad dressing.

Asked: If Larry has 8 cups of oil, 7 cups of vinegar, and access to any amount of water, what is the maximum number of cups of salad dressing he can make with the ingredients he has available, if fractional cup measurements are possible?

In 1 cup of salad: -
Oil = 3/6 = 1/2 cup
Vinegar = 2/6 = 1/3 cup
Water = 1/6 cup

Maximum number of cups of salad = min (8/(1/2), 7/(1/3)) = min (16,21) = 16 cups

IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I took a different approach. Is this a wrong way of getting there?

As we know that 3 out of the 6 units that make up the dressing are oil units, we now that 3/6 of the entire dressing is oil.
Half the dressing is oil.

As a result, since we have 8 cups of oil, those can total up to 16 cups of dressing.

Since the amount of vinegar available respective to oil is more than what is needed in the recipe (7/8 > 2/3, since we have 7 cups of vinegar and 8 of oil, and since 2 units of vinegar are needed for every 3 of oil), we can conclude that the wew'll have enough vinegar to prepare 16 cups of dressing.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts