Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [31]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
Send PM
Re: Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, [#permalink]
MartyMurray wrote:
Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike the rushing waters of the river where it goes through the gorge.

A. Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike
B. As rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier, and therefore it is unlike
C. Where rocks are protruding into the river at Lepenski Vir, resulting in whirling water making seeing fish easier, unlike
D. Where rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is resulting whirling water, and it makes seeing fish easier, which is unlike
E. Rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, causing whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, as opposed to

Source: TTP Beta Testing

Hi, is the "whirling water to make seeing fish easier" is "because of rocks"? I mean: does "because of rocks" modifies "whirling water to make seeing fish easier"? Thanks_
N.B. As far I know, "because of" modifies "whole the clause", isn't it?
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike the rushing waters of the river where it goes through the gorge.

A. Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, unlike
B. As rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier, and therefore it is unlike
C. Where rocks are protruding into the river at Lepenski Vir, resulting in whirling water making seeing fish easier, unlike
D. Where rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, there is resulting whirling water, and it makes seeing fish easier, which is unlike
E. Rocks protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir, causing whirling water that makes seeing fish easier, as opposed to

Hi, is the "whirling water to make seeing fish easier" is "because of rocks"? I mean: does "because of rocks" modifies "whirling water to make seeing fish easier"? Thanks_

A phase beginning with "because of" is adverbial, meaning that the phrase serves as an adverb. So, the phrase must modify a verb.

In this case, the adverbial prepositional phrase "Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir" modifies the verb "is", and explains why the whirling water is.
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

A phase beginning with "because of" is adverbial, meaning that the phrase serves as an adverb. So, the phrase must modify a verb.

In this case, the adverbial prepositional phrase "Because of rocks that protrude into the river at Lepenski Vir" modifies the verb "is", and explains why the whirling water is.

That means: Because of rocks "there is whirling water", right?
Thanks again__
One more question:
"rushing waters" indicates something 'plural'. So, my question is: is it possible to count 'rushing waters'?
N.B. As far I know, if something is plural, then it is definitely 'countable'
Also, what is the antecedent of "it" in choice A?
Thanks__
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

That means: Because of rocks "there is whirling water", right?
Thanks again__

Yes.

Quote:
One more question:
"rushing waters" indicates something 'plural'. So, my question is: is it possible to count 'rushing waters'?
Thanks__

Regarding "waters," it does seem plural, so I guess the waters must be countable, but I doubt that anyone would used the word "waters" in a way in which it has to be countable. I may edit the question and use "water" instead.

Regarding "it" in choice A, the antecedent is "river."
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
One more question:
Thanks__

Regarding "waters," it does seem plural, so I guess the waters must be countable, but I doubt that anyone would used the word "waters" in a way in which it has to be countable. I may edit the question and use "water" instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... sh/071210/
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-differ ... -vs-waters
Hi,
According to the above link the word "waters" perfectly makes sense, I guess.
Could you take a look of these links before editing the topic, please?
Thanks__
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
C and D are much to convoluted to be correct. E is wrong because it replaces ‘unlike’ with ‘opposed to’, the two do not mean the same thing. B is wrong because ‘there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier’, implies conscious intent. A is he right answer.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prashantsri wrote:
C and D are much to convoluted to be correct. E is wrong because it replaces ‘unlike’ with ‘opposed to’, the two do not mean the same thing. B is wrong because ‘there is whirling water to make seeing fish easier’, implies conscious intent. A is he right answer.

Nice work. You caught some key issues and arrived at the correct answer.

At the same time, probably it would be safer to more clearly define why (C) and (D) are not correct.

For instance, rather than merely say that (C) is too convoluted to be correct, you could use the fact that (C) has no main verb as a clear reason to eliminate (C) and, thus, ensure that you have not fallen for cleverly written trick answers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Is it correct to say "Because of rocks" or "Because rocks"? I think that the structure of the whole sentence is awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 230
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 4: 600 Q48 V25 (Online)
GMAT 5: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Is the usage of unlike correct? The correct idiom is "Unlike A, B...", but in the given sentence the nouns that are compared - whirling water and the rushing waters - are nowhere closer to each other. Don't you think the comparison is wrong?
Send PM
Expert Reply
harsh8686 wrote:
Is the usage of unlike correct? The correct idiom is "Unlike A, B...", but in the given sentence the nouns that are compared - whirling water and the rushing waters - are nowhere closer to each other. Don't you think the comparison is wrong?

The comparison involves two things that have a certain difference. One has an attribute that the other does not have.

Since it's quite logical to say, "The whirling water does X, unlike the rushing waters," the comparison is fine.

If this is hard for you to see, consider the following:

My father, unlike the car, rolled down the hill without getting hurt.

While "my father" must be quite different from "the car," in this instance, comparing the two makes sense.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts