Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad [#permalink]
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figure

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

Can wax be modified with the adjective skillful? It feels like skillfully rendered wax figures makes more sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Mad [#permalink]
egmat wrote:

Hi All,

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

The key to get to the right answer is to understand the meaning of the sentence. This sentence is about Patience Lovell Wright who travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 years. Wright became well known for two reasons:
1. For her eccentric personality.
2. For her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

The entities following both the “as” must be parallel to each other.

POE:

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again the entities following “as” are not parallel. We need something parallel “having” after the second “as”.

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again, the entities following the two “as” are nit parallel.

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. Incorrect. “for having” after first “as” in not parallel to “having” after the second “as”.

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Correct. “for her…” is parallel to “for her skillful…”.

1. In a list, the entity following the first marker should be parallel to the entity following the second marker.
2. We should use comparative degree (much) only when we are comparing two entities.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello
As per the explanation "as" is the parallelism marker. Since it is a closed marker, doesn't it make the adjective "well known" exclusive to the first entity, introducing a parallelism error?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figure

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

The idiom is as well known as. So parts before and after well known should maintain strict parallelism. As well known X as Y. X and Y should be parallel. For this reason we can eliminate all options except E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.

Dear crazykaushik,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

What you are asking touches on the very tricky idea of dropping common words in parallel. See this blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping- ... -the-gmat/

Here's version (E):
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
Here' the parallelism with the omitted words:
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became
//as well known for her eccentric personality
//as [well known] for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
You see, the second occurrence of "well known" is implied, but if we actually stated it, the sentence would sound awkward and redundant.

The GMAT loves this grammatical structure, because if you don't recognize what's missing, the sentence will look wrong. It's all about being mindful of what's not there!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike,
Your insights are very much valuable. Thanks a lot.

I have a doubt in the option D of the following question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... 89303.html

vageesh wrote:
According to the Better Business Bureau, if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it violates the New York Consumer Protection Law.

(A) if you fail to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as that of the lowest, it

(B) if one fails to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest price, it

(C) failure to advertise the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as prominently as the lowest

(D) failure to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or product as the lowest

(E) failing to advertise as prominently the highest price in a range of prices for a service or products as that of the lowest

Can't we assume "prominently " after the second "as" and thus we have a parallel sentence.(refering to the above explanation)

one thing that I think of this option D as wrong is that cherry-picking is not allowed. Kindly correct me.

Regards,
Gaurav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hey Experts,
I'm unable to understand why B isn't right.
Do we need to have the same structure?
here both are introduced by Preposition. then why aren't the two items are parallel.
In E as well known, do we have to consider the parallel list after " well known "or after "as"
if we have to after " well known " what difference will it make if we keep it before as ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo daagh

can you please explain the parallelism issue in option B.
"For having" and "for her skillfull ...."
i would like to know what parts of speech does "having" belong to in this sentence.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tejaswym95 wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo daagh

can you please explain the parallelism issue in option B.
"For having" and "for her skillfull ...."
i would like to know what parts of speech does "having" belong to in this sentence.

Quote:

When we have a comparison, we want the things being compared to match grammatically as much as possible. In (B), I think it would be useful to look at the whole phrases that are being compared:

• The first side of the comparison is "for having an eccentric personality," and the second side is "for her skillful wax renderings."
  • While the "having" is acting like a noun here (making it a gerund, if you like the jargon), it is the whole phrase ("having an eccentric personality") that makes the noun.
  • On the other hand, "renderings" is a noun on its own, so it doesn’t need an entire phrase to complete the noun (‘skillful’ and ‘wax’ modify "renderings" but aren’t necessary).
  • So in (B) one side of the comparison contains a noun phrase and the other contains a standalone noun: (1) for {her} having something and (2) for her thing. Even though the sentence is grammatically ok, the parallelism isn’t ideal.

Now look at (E):

• The first side of the comparison is "for her eccentric personality," and the second is "for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures."
  • Stripping out some modifiers, we're left with "for her personality" and "for her {wax} renderings ."
  • Notice that "personality" and "renderings" are both standalone nouns. Neither requires an entire phrase to complete the noun.
  • So the sentence is grammatically correct, and the comparison is clearly parallel.

For sentence correction questions, the goal is not to label 4 sentences as WRONG and one as RIGHT. It's to select the BEST option out of the 5 available. Although the parallelism in (B) isn't wrong, the parallelism in (E) is better -- making the comparison clearer and easier to follow.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja

Even though I picked the correct answer, I just have a couple of doubts that this question highlighted with a bright, neon light:

(1) Consider the Idiom:

She is as well known FOR ....X.... as FOR .......Y....

Is this Construction similar to a "Closed Parallelism Marker" that is discussed by other prep companies?

I was under the impression that one of the General Rules is the following: whatever words or phrases come after the 1st Part of the "Closed Marker" (i.e, "not only") must be repeated after the 2nd Part of the "Closed Marker" ("but also").

Therefore, is it that case in Answer (E) that the 1st Part of the "Closed Marker" for this Idiom is -----> "as well known ....."

and the 2nd Part is ------> " ... as ....." ?

Or does this General Rule not apply to this scenario at all?

Originally posted by Fdambro294 on 11 Nov 2020, 00:23.
Last edited by Fdambro294 on 05 Dec 2022, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax "because of..." is not parallel to "for having...". Eliminate.

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures "for having..." is not perfectly parallel to "for her...". While both are possessives, only one uses the participle form. I would hold on to this option at this time.

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figure "because of..." is not parallel to "she was...". Eliminate.

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax "for having..." is not parallel to "having...". Eliminate.

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures Correct answer. Has perfect parallelism by using "for her" in both instances. Given such a clean option, we can eliminate option (B) now.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
arj_singh1976 wrote:

I just tried to choose an option, which expresses meaning with less effective words, grammatically perfectly, and parallels. I eliminated all the having at the first look. Did not take C for it's wordyness.

The answer is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry thanks for your explanation.
Just wondering, if I slightly rephrase option B into something like this, "well known as much for HER eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures" will it be grammatically correct?
Thank you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
vietmoi999 wrote:
in the pattern "for having" , "having" is used as gerund, which refers to a general action rather than the action of a specific noun in the main clause. This use is not logic because "having" should refer to "wax" in the main clause.

is my thinking correct? pls comment.

I think "for having" in choice d is wrong.

I am well known for my high gmat score.
this is correct
I am well known for having a high gmat score
this is wrong because "having..." dose not refer to "I". it is unclear who have a high gmat score. but if we write

having a good sense of gmat grammar, I have passed gmat easily

in this sentence, "having..." refer to subject "I" grammatically, so, the sentence is logical

I hope we differentiate two kind of "doing"/"having".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

I hope all this helps.

I sorry but that does not sound logical to me at all. Can anyone please clarify?

I don't see why we must not place "well known" before as.

Which one is better:
A. I am as well known for my grades as for my movies.
B. I am well known as for my grades as for my movies.
C. I am well known as for my grades as my movies.

I think C would be the only correct choice.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Foreheadson wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

I hope all this helps.

I sorry but that does not sound logical to me at all. Can anyone please clarify?

I don't see why we must not place "well known" before as.

Which one is better:
A. I am as well known for my grades as for my movies.
B. I am well known as for my grades as for my movies.
C. I am well known as for my grades as my movies.

I think C would be the only correct choice.

Hello Foreheadson,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, only A is correct; to convey the intended meaning, such a sentence must use either the construction "as well known" or "as much for" in order to convey that the quality being compared is that status of being "well known" and that the comparison is between how well known the speaker is known for two things.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Looks E better option than B.

Option B:
Patience Lovell Wright,
whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years,
became well known
as much
for having an eccentric personality
as
for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

Option E:
Patience Lovell Wright,
whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years,
became
as well known
for her eccentric personality
as
for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Mada [#permalink]
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

Lets take an example of idion as X as Y .
I am as successful as he is.
I am as tall as giraffe.

here if we simply the sentence, became as well known for X as for Y.

A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

became well known as much because of X as for Y [not parallel : incorrect comparison]

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

became well known as much for having X as for Y. [not parallel : incorrect comparison]

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

[not parallel : incorrect comparison]

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

became as well known for having X as [missing for] having Y

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

became as well known for her X as for her Y
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -
For the comparison, we need parallel elements on both sides of the comparison.
At the same time, be mindful of the words that can be repeated, as in option E. "well known" after the second "as" is implied.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax - "because of having an eccentric personality " is not parallel to "for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax."

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures - "for having an eccentric personality" is not parallel to "her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures."

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures - "because of her eccentric personality" is not parallel to "she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures."

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax - "for having an eccentric personality" is not parallel to "having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax." "well known" is implied in the second part after as.

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. - "for her eccentric personality" is parallel to "for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures." "well known" is implied in the second part after as.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts